Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference from a gun bought at Walmart to a gun bought elsewhere? There are some pretty awesome deals on Model 700s. I heard a couple times that they aren't as good as the "same" rifle from a "gun-store" but have never been given any concrete example of why. I just figured the low price was to be attributed to the large amount of arms they are able to sell as such a huge company.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
interesting question. I know certain electronics are made for sale there, but the typically have a different model number than the basicially same unit sold elsewhere. I would say they are the same I doubt they would play those type of games with firearms. They don't have production numbers that something like a dvd player and it wouldn't be worth the trouble of producing a dedicated line for Walmart.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've never seen a difference?

·
Registered
407 Posts
same guns, lower price, more paperwork to take it though

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
They are the same. The walmart here has the long guns at the store. The handguns are for demo only, of what the distributor has in stock. They call the distributor and the handgun is delivered to the store the next day if you decide to purchase. No additional paperwork here, just the 4473.

·
Registered
56 Posts
IMO wally still has good stuff guns wont blow up in your face, and if they did they have the money to pay the law suit against them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
What states have guns in Walmart? I am in Houston Texas and have yet to see them bring the guns back.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
What states have guns in Walmart? I am in Houston Texas and have yet to see them bring the guns back.
Not all stores have them, find a walmart outside your immediate area and see if they have them. All the "Super Center" Walmarts I have seen in AZ and TX have (with only a few exceptions) had long guns.

Actually any Walmart sporting goods employee should be able to tell you which stores in your area have them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just picked up a Remington 700 30-06 with a scope from walmart. Very happy with it so far. They could not give me a model number that matched anything that Remington had and the UPC was different from the in-store catalog so maybe they are specially packaged?

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Just picked up a Remington 700 30-06 with a scope from walmart. Very happy with it so far. They could not give me a model number that matched anything that Remington had and the UPC was different from the in-store catalog so maybe they are specially packaged?
If Walmart sells it, it's a safe bet that it is specially packaged or labeled in some way. It may not be any different than others design or performance wise, but they WILL get it packaged their way.

You should see their corporate business cards... specially made just for them AFAIK. I see if someone in the office has one still.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
If Walmart sells it, it's a safe bet that it is specially packaged or labeled in some way. It may not be any different than others design or performance wise, but they WILL get it packaged their way.
+1. I bought a 10/22 a few years back from a Walmart. It has a slightly longer barrel and different stock than usual, and it said on the paperwork and packaging it was a "Walmart-only" package. It's more accurate than me and has been flawless, just like I'd expect from a 10/22. I think companies do manufacture lower-end versions of some models to hit Wally World's price points, but nothing I've seen there I would regard as inferior to a gun sold at a different retailer.

·
Registered
591 Posts
All companies will do a "Private Label" for the right price or right quantity. Considering Wally world purchases guns by pallets instead of cases, im pretty sure remington or any one else will do as they ask..

I work for a small janitorial/sanitary supply company and most of our chemical suppliers will private label anything we want, but we have to buy a certain amout at a time for them to do it..

·
Registered
591 Posts
oh and anyone i know thta has purchased a rifle from wally world has had no complaints

·
Registered
786 Posts
we have long guns in Corpus. I've seen a posting somewhere that they look at the size of the city and how the LEOs and Pollys look at those bad bad guns in their city,

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm in southern Ohio and our walmart has long guns and ammo.
Ive never seen any difference in the guns there and other stores

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Wal-Mart gets their "own" model numbers so that they don't have to match advertised prices from other shops. Wal-Mart is fairly unique in that they sell pretty much everything for low margins. They typically do not do "loss leader" sales, because they do not make a high enough margin on anything else in their store to make up the difference. Plus, they don't really need to entice their customers to visit their store. Gander/Bass Pro/Cabelas/Local shops will have sales where they make zero profit from a firearm and work like crazy to make sure you buy cases/safes/scopes/cleaning kits/ammunition at healthy margins. Wal-Mart will price match, but they don't have to if they have an exclusive model number. This means that Wal-Mart will have the best "every day" price on guns, but they may not beat gun shows or sales at your local gun shop/sporting goods retailer for similar (but not exact) models. It also applies to electronics and other high-ticket items; Wal-Mart prices are pretty much always lower than other retail prices, but not always lower than "sale" prices. Since Wal-Mart is the biggest customer to all of their suppliers, they can both make the rules (Low price guarantee...) and circumvent them (...for same model...) at the same time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts