Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my holster on order, so I've got a week or two before I have to perform this ritual, but WalMart is not convenient. Anyone, especially those in the Seattle area, know of any acceptable substitutes? It's a long drive to any WalMart from where I am, and it seems a bit much for some nachos, milk, eggs, and a box of ammo. I know those are beside the point, but I'd rather not have to make it a big production.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I've got my holster on order, so I've got a week or two before I have to perform this ritual, but WalMart is not convenient. Anyone, especially those in the Seattle area, know of any acceptable substitutes? It's a long drive to any WalMart from where I am, and it seems a bit much for some nachos, milk, eggs, and a box of ammo. I know those are beside the point, but I'd rather not have to make it a big production.

Go to pike place market.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I didn't make a deal of it. I just did what i had to do that day just as I would have had I not been carrying.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
The day I got mine we were about to goto target and the mail came. Chp card was in finally, went back inside, took off the serpa for oc, grabbed my other one for iwb and off I went. After target we went to carls jr.

Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't think you need to make a big deal. Just go about your business as normal. I got mine in the mail at lunch and grabbed my pistol and went back to work with it. I do however like the pikes place market idea. I carried there on my last trip to that side.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you need to make a big deal. Just go about your business as normal. I got mine in the mail at lunch and grabbed my pistol and went back to work with it. I do however like the pikes place market idea. I carried there on my last trip to that side.
Yeah, I guess it feels like a big step for me and the whole Wally Walk concept seemed like a good way to acclimate myself.

I think Pike Place might be a bit intense for my first outing. I think I'd be better with something a little lower key.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Congratulations on getting your permit by the way. There really is not anything to be afraid of. Just make sure you understand the laws regarding places you cannot carry and be comfortable holstering and carrying a loaded gun. I would recomend trying out your holster around the house to find a comfortable position for it to be placed and to make sure it rides securely. I do this with every new holster. You don't want a holster that you keep having to adjust, that's a much bigger deal than a little printing.

For printing find several locations on your waist the holster can ride depending on what you are wearing. I wear my XD40 in an iwb holster at 4:00 when I have a sweatshirt or jacket, but with a t-shirt it prints pretty bad. However by moving it to the small of the back I conceal it under even a wifebeater.

Just know the laws, your options, and be proficient in drawing/ shooting and you will be good.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Congratulations on getting your permit by the way. There really is not anything to be afraid of. Just make sure you understand the laws regarding places you cannot carry and be comfortable holstering and carrying a loaded gun. I would recomend trying out your holster around the house to find a comfortable position for it to be placed and to make sure it rides securely. I do this with every new holster. You don't want a holster that you keep having to adjust, that's a much bigger deal than a little printing.

For printing find several locations on your waist the holster can ride depending on what you are wearing. I wear my XD40 in an iwb holster at 4:00 when I have a sweatshirt or jacket, but with a t-shirt it prints pretty bad. However by moving it to the small of the back I conceal it under even a wifebeater.

Just know the laws, your options, and be proficient in drawing/ shooting and you will be good.

Alot of peole carry guns in WA. ALOT. I carried all the time with clothes the gun printed and I knew it. No one ever said a word or gave me a double take. I was at the Tacoma mall when I saw some hippie with a revolver sticking halfway out of his shirt that was too tight to conceal anyway. No one cared a bit and mall security did not care.

I OCd sometimes. Same story, even police cared less. Wind would blow my flannel from covering my pistol sometimes and I mostly got smiles in return if someone saw it.

When a driver decided he wanted to destroy my car and rearended me the responding police officer saw my permit in my wallet and only asked if I had a gun on me. Told me to keep it where it was and never was concerned about anyones safety but mine.

WA is a great state to have a CCW permit.

CarlosT, play spot the gun sometime. See how many people around you have that odd bulge. Its more than you would think.......

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
My first cc was riding the light rail with my wife about a year ago. I'd been hearing her "stories" about her daily ride, so when we took a day off work and decided to ride the train to the end of the line I figured this might be a good time. Like mentioned above, I just watched for signs and for the most part acted like it as nothing special and nothing happened. I did find out that my HS2000 makes a terrible cc gun when you're a fat-ass like me :D Now I'm looking for something a bit smaller.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You could do the....
Target Trot,
Shopko Shuffle,
JC Penny Jaunt,
Menards March,
SAMS Club Saunter
:-o

·
Registered
339 Posts
Alot of peole carry guns in WA. ALOT. I carried all the time with clothes the gun printed and I knew it. No one ever said a word or gave me a double take. I was at the Tacoma mall when I saw some hippie with a revolver sticking halfway out of his shirt that was too tight to conceal anyway. No one cared a bit and mall security did not care.

I OCd sometimes. Same story, even police cared less. Wind would blow my flannel from covering my pistol sometimes and I mostly got smiles in return if someone saw it.

When a driver decided he wanted to destroy my car and rearended me the responding police officer saw my permit in my wallet and only asked if I had a gun on me. Told me to keep it where it was and never was concerned about anyones safety but mine.

WA is a great state to have a CCW permit.

CarlosT, play spot the gun sometime. See how many people around you have that odd bulge. Its more than you would think.......
I completly agree that a little printing is not a big deal. Most people won't notice, those that do probably won't care. If someone sees it and it bothers them who cares. I know I print in some of the of the clothes I wear, its not a big deal. Constantly having to grab your piece to reposition it is not good though.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm planning on wearing it holstered around the house a few days so I can work out proper placement and get the feel of it.

I'm also going to be measuring for a gun belt. I've heard it makes carrying a lot easier.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Rather than focus on a specific location, I like starting with a specific set of errands. If you aren't an experienced carrier and you are going just to go, you are more likely to psych yourself up into a paranoia needlessly. However, if you do your grocery shopping and whatnot, you'll be halfway done by the time you realize that you are packing heat and it's no big deal because you aren't focused on just that.

D

·
0 Posts
The concept behind WalMart is that it is a crowded location where a wide variety of people are.

So just find someplace else that is full of various kinds of people, and go there (obviously, make sure it is legal to carry there, etc).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine was SouthCenter Mall; GF had to return a pair of shoes so we were headed down there anyway when my permit showed up in the mail. You get used to it pretty quickly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts