Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a para ltc 1911 in 45, and sometimes when i shoot it the slide doesnt lock back on the last round, this is because as im shooting the slide stop begins to move out of the frame, also when the gun is in battery (slide forward) i can actually push about and inch of the slide stop out. Anyone know why this is happening? My slide stop is not damaged or worn in any way, its not overly lubricated. If anyone knows how to fix this problem or if anyone knows where i can get a slide stop that doesnt walk out of the frame itd be great!

·
Registered
126 Posts
As for the slide not locking back, have you tried a different mag? I know my wilson 47D will fail to lock back my SA due to the soft spring/plastic follower.

I dont see how it's possible to push the slide stop out an inch and still be able to fire. the gun isn't even 1 inch thick at that part. The only way it would come out with the slide in battery is if the inner tab is broken on the slide stop circled in red. That tab would get blocked by the slide at every position except when it's lined up with the take down notch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Para will fix this under warranty, if you send it to them. If you don't want to go to Para, any good pistolsmith can both diagnose and fix it, easily. If you prefer to have the information to correctly fix it - and any other problems - by yourself, buy a good gunsmithing manual on the 1911, like Kuhnhausen's, where problems and remedies - such as a slide stop modification - are discussed thoroughly and with clarity.

Para USA Service
http://www.para-usa.com/new/service_policy.php

Heritage Gun Books
http://www.gunbooks.com/colt45.html
http://www.gunbooks.com/vol2.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it does this with both of my mags that i have, but those are para mags. Also i didnt mean to say an inch it just barely comes out to the point it wont catch the follower on the mag

·
Registered
968 Posts
There should be a very slight detent where the plunger sits to hold the slide stop in place. You can deepen it just a touch, which should stop it from coming out. This will hinder the locking open on the last round though.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
There should be a very slight detent where the plunger sits to hold the slide stop in place. You can deepen it just a touch, which should stop it from coming out. This will hinder the locking open on the last round though.
Starting with a high quality slide stop (Wilson Combat or Ed Brown) I like a shallow dimple with a downward vertical tailing groove (pretty much what is shown in the close up photo). It prevents the slide stop from walking, prevents inappropriate lock back with rounds left, and does not prevent proper lock back after the last round.

Slide stops on High Cap Paras (I have two) can be especially problematic. The extra grip width makes it harder to reach a standard slide stop with your shooting hand thumb and for this reason I installed extended slide stops on both of my High Cap Paras. This adds extra mass that can move the slide stop during recoil. Bill Wilson himself calls the extended slide release the most worthless thing you can put on a 1911. He makes and sells them, but does not recommend them. For the big gripped Para, I find an extended slide stop useful, but they must be tuned (dimpling and grip clearance) and reliability tested with live fire.

The second problem with slide stops and High Cap Paras is the inner tab which must be shaped and sized just right. Too small and it may not engage the mag follower properly. Too big and you can have bullet clearance problems or have the bullet bumping the slide stop and moving it during the firing cycle.

It takes some patience, experience, and skill to get slide stops just right on High Cap Paras. However, it is worth the extra effort, because 14+1 rds of 45 ACP on your hip is tough to beat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It doesn`t matter if you have a hi-cap or a single stack 1911. The slide stop dimensions are the same were it is held in place by the red circle from the above picture.
The fact that yours is able to come out is an indication there is a problem with it. They are not hard to fit, time consuming yes, hard, no.
Do you have another 1911 or know someone who would let you borrow their slide stop and see how it works in your gun?
Even if it is under warranty, I would have a hard time sending it back for a simple fix and being without it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem on my 1911, and I tried changing slide stops and sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. I tried indenting the plunger spot and it would not lock open after last round. Found the problem. I had 2 types of mags ones with the flat top follower and ones with the domed follower, mine hates the domed topped follower! Cost to fix this problem? 0, just buy mags that are flat topped. Have now fired hundreds of rounds from new and old flat topped mags and have yet to have the stop walk out again.http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts