Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to get the VP9 to the range Sunday and get a couple of hundred rounds (sort of) through the gun.

Jam-O-Matic.

Out of over 200 rounds shot I got maybe 2 mags to run without a FTF. It was so bad I wasn't even able to get a read on the accuracy because I was anticipating the next failure. To be fair I was shooting only my reloads, but those same reloads have never failed in my 226, CZ75, HKP30, or Sphinx. In fact, I had my X5 and my Sphinx with me and they ran flawlessly. But it's possible that my reloads are a bit underpowered (6.6 gr #7 with a 115 gr plated bullet or 4.9 gr Autocomp) for a not yet broken in gun. So I'm planning to head to the range again this week this time after another thorough cleaning of the gun and making sure the recoil spring isn't gummed up with factory lube and with some factory ammo along with my reloads. And it may just require a break in period, although none of my other HK's needed one. But another repeat performance of the jams and it's going back to HK.

Another issue, I got some bites on my trigger finger from the mag release on recoil pinching the bottom of my finger. Looking around on Youboob I see that's not too unusual a problem. It's not a reason to give up on the gun but it's something that would limit the amount of rounds I want to run through it on a given range trip.

I really want to like the gun, it's got a great grip and feel, great trigger, HK quality, and looks cool. But of course it's got to run. I was even thinking of making it a carry gun and putting the Sphinx back in the range gun collection but that won't happen until I know it's 100% reliable and until I'm happy with the accuracy.

I've got a few pics of the nightsights and next to my Sphinx.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
Interesting...unusual for an HK to be ammo finicky.

Waiting to see how your next session goes.

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
Just stick with your Glock:p

That sucks to hear.
Maybe the failures are ammo related but IF they work in all the others, you would think it would work in this one.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The trigger bite is normal if you tend to angle your finger down. It's one of the downsides of my p30, as I have the same problem. Though my p30 was flawless, my XD 9 was a jam-O-matic with my reloads. First two hundred rounds was like your VP9 experience, but after it broken in, the next 300 were flawless. Hopefully your experience will be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trigger bite is normal if you tend to angle your finger down. It's one of the downsides of my p30, as I have the same problem. Though my p30 was flawless, my XD 9 was a jam-O-matic with my reloads. First two hundred rounds was like your VP9 experience, but after it broken in, the next 300 were flawless. Hopefully your experience will be the same.

Interesting point, my P30 never bit my finger and shot the same reloads flawlessly.

I've been thinking I can get rid of the trigger bite with a bit of sandpaper on the tops of the mag releases, in any event if the gun runs and is as accurate as my P30 was I'll live with the trigger bite.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Interesting that your vp9 bites and the p30 doesn't. I thought they were pretty much the same? Though I forgot then name of the company, there is one out there that reshapes the trigger guard and mag release. You could definitely do it with sandpaper, like you mentioned.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting that your vp9 bites and the p30 doesn't. I thought they were pretty much the same? Though I forgot then name of the company, there is one out there that reshapes the trigger guard and mag release. You could definitely do it with sandpaper, like you mentioned.

Yep, for whatever reason the P30, with the trigger guard mag release, never bit my finger while the VP9 does. I'm sure that's fixable though.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Weird. I have never heard of a VP-9 jamming. Seriously...there are tons of reviews in M4carbine.net's boards and the one constant seems to be that they are reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My guess from behavior was over sprung for the reloads, or maybe gunk in the recoil spring that I didn't get cleaned out from the factory. I doubt an OAL issue as the ammo runs in everything else.

Yeah BB, I'm surprised too as I've heard nothing negative on the gun at all.

I'll probably get it to the range Wednesday with more reloads and factory ammo and we'll know more then. I'm remaining positive about the gun as I really like it and found it fits my G30s Crossbreed perfectly.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Well, that was unexpected. I was about to bust your chops about posting this and making me want to buy one. I guess that's out of the question now. Subscribed to see how this turns out for you. Could be it still needs to be decrapified of the shipping goo. Any plans to run factory ammo to eliminate concerns with the reloads?

·
Administrator
16,955 Posts
So I'm sure you will get it figured out. Sucks to hear, but we have not heard other similar stories.

So trigger bight.... I have sanded the tops of my mag release, but only to blend with the other stuff I did. For me, it's the trough. It's a well documented problem for some shooters. I've removed everyone of mine. They all bothered me. I removed one, and I rounded another. Rounding works fine. Has to take the corners of the inside edges of the trough. I have not heard too many complain about one gun over another. Seems they either have a problem with the trough or they don't.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I'm sure you will get it figured out. Sucks to hear, but we have not heard other similar stories.

So trigger bight.... I have sanded the tops of my mag release, but only to blend with the other stuff I did. For me, it's the trough. It's a well documented problem for some shooters. I've removed everyone of mine. They all bothered me. I removed one, and I rounded another. Rounding works fine. Has to take the corners of the inside edges of the thought. I have not heard too many complain about one gun over another. Seems they either have a problem with the trough or they don't.
I've been waiting for your input brother!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll get it worked out. I've got a feeling on Wednesday I'll get it running full speed ahead with both factory and reloads, the P30 was just too reliable (as was the HK45) to suddenly see problems with the VP9. I'll take a look at the trough and mag releases, I think some smoothing with a fine grit will probably relieve that problem too.

I'm hoping to make it a carry gun one day.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Change your sig to to NO ALLAHGLOCKBAR ZONE COMPROMISE
LOL! Smartaleck.

Better yet get a stipple gun and stipple "JAM ZONE" on the ejection port and "BITE MY FRIGGIN FINGER ZONE" on the trigger guard.

·
Administrator
16,955 Posts
Ya, it's from recoil. The P30 bothered me less, but still bothered me. That is the one I only had the corners rounded. Without a mag in, the release sits up and you can feel it pulling the trigger. But mag in and it is where it should be. I took a dremel to my HK45. Turned out fine. I had Springfield do my P30 while he had it.

The trough itself is supposed to prevent gloves from being caught between the guard and trigger. Great if you you shoot with gloves, but I don't. May be very legit to some. And it does not bother everyone. For those it does, you usually hear "you are doing it wrong".... But Larry Vickers has the same problem, and I'm pretty sure he isn't doing it wrong.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The magazine release levers were purposefully raised on the VP9 compared to the P30 so it's understandable that the VP9 is biting you while the P30 didn't.

·
Administrator
16,955 Posts
The magazine release levers were purposefully raised on the VP9 compared to the P30 so it's understandable that the VP9 is biting you while the P30 didn't.
I hadn't heard that. Why did they raise it? Can you really feel it?

Even still, once you pull the trigger back, releasing it would go away from it. I guess I don't get that.

If it is the trough... It bites me on the bottom corner of trigger finger. My finger is not low on the trigger. I never feel it pulling the trigger. And I hold the trigger back for follow through... And we are talking after 100 rounds, not after a couple. And by 200, it would get old. Regardless, it was what it was. Sanded the trough, problem solved.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I hadn't heard that. Why did they raise it? Can you really feel it?

Even still, once you pull the trigger back, releasing it would go away from it. I guess I don't get that.

If it is the trough... It bites me on the bottom corner of trigger finger. My finger is not low on the trigger. I never feel it pulling the trigger. And I hold the trigger back for follow through... And we are talking after 100 rounds, not after a couple. And by 200, it would get old. Regardless, it was what it was. Sanded the trough, problem solved.
It was discussed in one of the early HK videos and if I remember correctly it was to assist in getting a higher grip. If you look at the VP9 you can see that the levers aren't flush with trigger guard. They ride just a bit high and my theory is some users are getting pinched by that gap.

·
Administrator
16,955 Posts
Hmm... Cool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts