Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...Long story short - I have an awesome wife, but an extra optic. I have been building a couple of rifles for about a year + now. She bought me a nice Nikon optic that I will be mounting instead of the Vortex StrikeFire red dot. Should I hold on to it or sell it? It has never been opened, brand new in box, what could I expect to get out of it? Trying to decide if its worth more to be as a backup or as cash to spend on ammo.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
If it were me, I'd hold onto it. There will always be another gun to come along that will need a red dot. Especially since you didn't have to pay for it, I say keep it.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
It is probably only worth about $120-130 re-sale, so I'd say keep it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
keep it. with there warranty, you will have a decent optic forever. they don't even need the receipt for warranty work. plus, not great resale.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Always good to have a " plan c "

Plan A -- Optic
Plan B -- BUIS
Plan C -- Back up optic since I already have it ;-)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good guys, I will hold on to it....might have to build another rifle now :-D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just sold one for $100 barely used but thats what I paid for it. You can find them brand new for $100 shipped at PSA. The strikefire is a great low budget optic, my brother has one paired with a 3x magnifier and its held zero since he put it on. The glass is great in them too... Only reason I sold it was that I had an excuse to start building another AR to put it on but my gun budget is over spent for another few months

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just sold one for $100 barely used but thats what I paid for it. You can find them brand new for $100 shipped at PSA. The strikefire is a great low budget optic, my brother has one paired with a 3x magnifier and its held zero since he put it on. The glass is great in them too... Only reason I sold it was that I had an excuse to start building another AR to put it on but my gun budget is over spent for another few months
I might want to do this. What's his setup?

·
Registered
31 Posts

Spikes rifle with Magpul furniture, Vortex StrikeFire paired w/ Vortex VMX-3T 3X magnifier. Functions well and looks good IMO. I picked this combo up for $200 with very little use.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice rig man! I think I am going to have to start looking! Thanks!

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Yea I've seen most of the PA reviews. Same with Vortex. If PA had the Vortex warranty, it would be a no brainer!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea I've seen most of the PA reviews. Same with Vortex. If PA had the Vortex warranty, it would be a no brainer!
True but I have seen the vortex going for 200+ and I think I paid 69 for my PA. I take really good care of my stuff and this will be a range toy so really, I think I'm okay with the cheaper one. If I were hunting and the like I might get the vortex. Again, I am NO expert, I was asking for opinions here myself, I am just going off of reviews, opinions, and looking through a PA.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
The only real heavy use my 6940 will see is once a year in February, when I can dump 1,500+ rnds through it at 400yds or so in three days. It also comes out every couple months for a 200rnd feeding. Rest if the time it sits in the safe.

Either way it'll be closer to Xmas before I can pick something up, and who knows I may be able to score a killer deal on something nice.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only real heavy use my 6940 will see is once a year in February, when I can dump 1,500+ rnds through it at 400yds or so in three days. It also comes out every couple months for a 200rnd feeding. Rest if the time it sits in the safe.

Either way it'll be closer to Xmas before I can pick something up, and who knows I may be able to score a killer deal on something nice.
That's the spirit. With the cost of Ammo its hard to decide which of our "children," to feed :cool: I think playing the waiting game is smart and will pay off. I will let you guys know what I think of the PA magnifier when it is installed.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
True but I have seen the vortex going for 200+ and I think I paid 69 for my PA. I take really good care of my stuff and this will be a range toy so really, I think I'm okay with the cheaper one. If I were hunting and the like I might get the vortex. Again, I am NO expert, I was asking for opinions here myself, I am just going off of reviews, opinions, and looking through a PA.
A vortex strikefire is only 100 bucks at psa...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts