Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have one, would you trust it on your home defense/self defense rifle?

I might be getting one soon as a birthday present, and wanted to know what you guys thought of their reliability and durability. I know its not a rugged as an Aimpoint or EOTech, and I don't expect it to be. My Xd is the main defense weapon anyways.

I think I will end up getting one either way, just curious to see what you guys thought of their durability/dependability.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have one on my M&P 15 with the doubler installed. It's pretty solid and I haven't had any problems with it.

But like you said, it's not one of the higher end optics. For 150 bucks though, it's good not great but good.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I found it very accurate and reliable through a couple thousand rounds. I replaced it with a Nikon 223 because of the magnification.

My only complaint was, with my red/green version, the red was weak in bright light. The red only version is supposed to be brighter so if you can effect that, do.

Yes, I would trust it, especially with a pistol at hand also. (no reflection on the Vortex, just think the rifle should be backup for special situations)

·
Registered
662 Posts
I currently have one installed on my PS90. It has worked flawlessly. A buddy of mine liked it so much he ordered one from Amazon.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I would trust it, especially with a pistol at hand also. (no reflection on the Vortex, just think the rifle should be backup for special situations)
That was what I was looking for. The rifle is the second weapon I go for, depending on time to prepare etc. For the bump in the night, its the XD on the night stand.

Thanks for the quick replies so far. I guess I just needed some confirmation that it would be tough enough to be more than just a range red dot, not that it will be used anywhere else, but just in case.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I have been talking to a buddy about them. he likes them well enough. not enough to replace his eotech but ya know...

I will probably get one.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I have a Vortex StrikeFire, had it for quite awhile now and like it very much.
I had one problem with it after about a thousand rounds, it started cutting in/out and the problem was related to a early bug, with the battery cap.
Vortex CS was absolutely awesome, had it back within a week.
Never had another problem, several thousand rounds through and it doesn't get babied.

For HD/SD, yes, I'd trust it... I trust it everyday, my AR is always ready to go when I'm at home.
Remove chamber flag, charge it, tap the Strikefire on, safety off and booger hook on bang switch.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have heard nothing but great things about them, it was a really close pick between that and the lucid hd7. I chose the lucid but man it was a tough decision.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Just make sure nothing is pressed against the power button when you store the weapon. I had a problem with mine when it was in a carry case. The power button would be pressed by the foam lining, inadvertantly turning it on. Then the battery was dead when I pulled it out at the range. (The upside was we found the co-witnessed MBus was pretty accurate.) That's the only real complaint I have heard about them.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just make sure nothing is pressed against the power button when you store the weapon. I had a problem with mine when it was in a carry case. The power button would be pressed by the foam lining, inadvertantly turning it on. Then the battery was dead when I pulled it out at the range. (The upside was we found the co-witnessed MBus was pretty accurate.) That's the only real complaint I have heard about them.
I found some pics, apparently the original design had the power button on top, then they changed it to the current setup and they have had enough complaints about this problem to look at another design. I did a few google searches and found this info over at ar15.com. I think I'll go ahead and order it anyways, if the button is an issue, I can just unscrew the battery cap enough to keep it from coming on I guess.

Edit: Link http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=277&t=159580&page=1

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had one for a week or so. First trip to the range it sighted in easily. Seems very solid, but I haven't shot it enough to judge durability. All of the reviews that I read gave it good marks.

The position of the power button is not optimal, but the scope is supposed to have an automatic shutoff after 6 hours to prevent draining the battery.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the early red/green model. I have two complaints. The dot could have been brighter for bright conditions and its can accidentally be turned on if the power button is bumped.

Vortex has fixed both issues with their newer red dot only model.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i have one on my m1a socom and it holds up just fine to those 308 rounds. havent lost zero yet and looks ****** on the scout mount

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a big fan of them after a few cheaper sights. I keep mine on the home AR cause its a fast sight and reliable. Mine is set up with absolute co-witness with BIUS, so even without it on, I can nail whatever is in front of the muzzle. I have around 800 rnds with it installed, and its maintained it's zero perfectly. I would trust it. Only complaint is it feels like it takes too long to turn on.

For home defense usage, you better grab some ears though. :( You'll likely go deaf after a few shots indoors...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a big fan of them after a few cheaper sights. I keep mine on the home AR cause its a fast sight and reliable. Mine is set up with absolute co-witness with BIUS, so even without it on, I can nail whatever is in front of the muzzle. I have around 800 rnds with it installed, and its maintained it's zero perfectly. I would trust it. Only complaint is it feels like it takes too long to turn on.

For home defense usage, you better grab some ears though. :( You'll likely go deaf after a few shots indoors...
I think any firearm, indoors, no ears would cause some level of deafness.

Thanks for the responses guys, unless it was already ordered (it's is a birthday present), I will get the red dot only one. When would you really use the green dot anyways?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would trust mine. Id have to say if I was going to war I would take a Eotech or Aimpoint, but for 150, it cant be beat by any other red/green dot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think any firearm, indoors, no ears would cause some level of deafness.
Agreed. However handguns expel quite a few less decibels from my experience. The .223/5.56 are crazy loud rounds! ;)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New Question:
What is a good quick disconnect mount that still allows for absolute co-witness?

Also, would lining up the dot on top of the post, while looking through the peep sight be a good way to at least get it on paper before I can actually goto the range?

·
Registered
9 Posts
New Question:
What is a good quick disconnect mount that still allows for absolute co-witness?

Also, would lining up the dot on top of the post, while looking through the peep sight be a good way to at least get it on paper before I can actually goto the range?
Primary Arms makes a nice flip to side mount. May work, I personally have not used it. A good buddy of mine has one with a magnifier attached and he loves it. Not sure about keeping absolute, may raise it up a bit to high.

That's how I did my vortex. I placed the red dot perfectly on top of the front sight post after flipping up the front and rear sight in place. Worked great! Minute adjustments out on the range.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts