Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my fiancee has family in AZ and we are going to visit in just a few months as well as go to a few of the cities we are considering moving to. i know AZ has made it so you can now carry concealed without a permit, not being a resident of the state (yet) this is what i plan on doing. any chance some one can point me in the direction of all the ins and outs of concealed carry without a permit. i know you cant carry into a place that has something posted say no firearms (obviously), i know if you get pulled over, the first thing you have to do is inform the officer that you are carrying. and you can't drink alcohol in public place. i want to make sure i get as much info as i can, like, what if i'm printing a bit, or i reach for something on the top shelf of a grocery store and my firearm becomes partially exposed, am i going to get arrested for brandishing? any info would be much appreciated, like i said, i'm willing to find my own info, but where to look would be a great start.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I just got back home from Arizona. I carried my XD from Florida, while on vacation. I think what I read was if you do not have a CCW and are in AZ, you need to have your weapon in plain sight while in your car. Then again that was 2 weeks ago when I read that.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Im ALMOST positive you can carry open or concealed in AZ.
Az is great you will love it there.
I have found some sites on line that will explane a lot of state,s carry laws..let me see if I can find em..in the mean time Google Arizona carry laws.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Check this link, it will probably answer your questions, and wouldn't be a bad idea to read it before you go to AZ anyway.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/AZSL.pdf
Good info. The most recent changes are that its legal to conceal in a restaurant with a permit, as long as you are not drinking and it's not posted, and that you can conceal without a permit in other areas as long as it's not posted excluding federal buildings and a few others listed in that doc. I believe there are a few other minor changes that were effective 7/1. You see folks open carrying all over the place.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can open carry in AZ? Loaded? I need to do some more research, I open carry in CA, but it has to be unloaded among other BS rules, ugh, I hate CA, can't wait to move!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
yeah, AZ is a pretty good place to be for guns. i think you'll really like it out here. i've lived here my whole life and i love it. i do believe though that if you don't have a ccw you can't carry in any establishment that serves alcohol even if you don't drink.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What I find strange is that I am looking at several news articles from July of 2010 stating that AZ now allows CCW without a permit. But when I look at the AZ Department of Public Safety website, they state that you do need a permit. I also am looking at the AZ State Legislature site and they state you need a permit. So even though I live here in AZ, I really don't know what the law is. But I intend to find out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wingman709 said:
What I find strange is that I am looking at several news articles from July of 2010 stating that AZ now allows CCW without a permit. But when I look at the AZ Department of Public Safety website, they state that you do need a permit. I also am looking at the AZ State Legislature site and they state you need a permit. So even though I live here in AZ, I really don't know what the law is. But I intend to find out.
I noticed that too!? So I'm a little weary and certainly confused?

I'm also still wondering about carrying in a vehicle??

·
Registered
9,821 Posts
I think you're confusing the fact that DPS issues permits with the issue of needing a permit. It takes careful reading through the laws to see that there are places you can carry with a permit that you cannot with permitless carry. Permitless carry would be established by there being no laws prohibiting it, as is the case for open carry in some states. (Basic premise in US law - that which is not explicitly prohibited is permissable.) Licensed establishments (if not posted) OK with permit, not allowed without permit. And don't forget the ever unpopular Gun Free School Zones - constitutional carry does not trump GFSZ act.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
i do believe though that if you don't have a ccw you can't carry in any establishment that serves alcohol even if you don't drink.
Oops. Missed that one. Thanx for correcting me.

Here are some links that might help but it's tedious.

Questions and Answers: Concealed Weapons & Permits - Arizona Department of Public Safety
AZ CCW Permit » Restaurant Carry

I strongly recommend these books which summarize very well. One of my friends teaches CCW classes and uses/recommends these books.
gunlaws.com / Bloomfield Press

I'm also still wondering about carrying in a vehicle??
You can conceal in a vehicle without a permit but it's a REALLY good idea to inform the officer if pulled over. Read up on the section on schools though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts