Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am 20 years old. I want/need a pistol. Searching the law archives of Virginia, I only found laws stating that the buyer of a handgun must be 21. I then found a law that made it illegal for people under 18 to possess a rifle or handgun... that's all I found...

So wouldn't there be an obvious loophole where I could have someone buy a pistol and give it to me as a gift? Hell, I might even be able to open carry. I'm not sure about that though, I haven't even researched it.

I have a local deputy confused about it and he is contacting an ATF agent soon to see what is up. Cross your fingers!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
what's the rush, just wait, it is common knowledge that you have to be 21 to own a handgun and carry, even if it is a loop hole, it will be changed very soon

and what do you need one for right now? plinking, go get a rifle
I'm not trying to bash you, but the reasons why I have one is because I manage high volumes of cash and once upon a time not too long ago, an idiot roommate threaten my family and I don't take that very lightly

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 11 months until I'm "mature" enough to purchase a pistol and carry it concealed. But much like you have a learner's permit before you get your driver's license, I think I should get practice in with my pistol before I get the CCW. I want to get the CCW as soon as I turn 21. Why waste time?

I know I could give cash to my father and he would purchase one for me, but I don't want it to be stored 2 hours away where I can't practice with it. Am I making any sense?

And I have an AK clone for plinking... yummy :D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I seem a bit to eager to carry?

I am waiting to see if everything is legit... that's why the ATF is getting involved to verify if it's legal...

Really though, what immaturity have I shown?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know this has nothing to do with Virginia, but in Mississippi you can legally own a rifle or handgun at 18 but you must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer or to get a permit to carry concealed. I am not 21, but I do legally own three pistols even though I have no want to legally carry them (which is good b/c the law says I can’t). The only place I open carry is on hunting leases when im out places in the woods where I feel safer armed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't want to discourage you, but laws that prohibit possession usually apply everywhere, even in your own home. Be that as it may, I am disgusted by the replies of some of these members. The mindset of "what's your hurry?" and "I only carry because I handle a lot of cash" are demeaning to those of us who wish to exercise our God-given right of self-defense, without restriction. Sorry if I anger people with my first post, but I'm no green tenderfoot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
krakoa said:
our God-given right of self-defense, without restriction
While I'm aware of the Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms, I don't remember the scripture passage that talks about gun ownership. ;) Besides, you don't have the right to do so "without restriction" otherwise things like automatic weapons, short barrelled shotguns, and grenades wouldn't be restricted from personal use.

I believe it is acceptable and even desireable for people to legally carry and defend themselves with their firearm, even if they don't do things like carry large amounts of cash. Nowadays, people can be attacked for no other reason than someone felt like doing it, so while some people may be in higher risk situations, the decline of the moral standards of a significant portion of our society warrant anyone to exercise their Constitutional right to arm and defend themselves. :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
In Minnesota it's 21 to buy a handgun and ammo that can be used in a handgun, but you can own a handgun at age 18. Before they passed the new shall issue law you could get a carry permit when you were 18.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Krakoa that's the thing, there isn't a law that prohibits possession to someone over 18. There's only one that prohibits the purchase of the firearm through a federal dealer. And I personally feel that your first post on here was very welcomed and logical. I too was very shocked at some of the responses I've had on this thread. Welcome to the forums :D There's tons to learn from the guys here... about ANYTHING.

As far as buying ammunition for the pistol, I am looking at the new S&W SW990L chambered in .40 S&W. When I go to Wally world to purchase ammunition and get the "is this for a pistol" question, I'm going to say it's for a .40 cal high-point carbine that I own. So buying the ammunition shouldn't be a problem.

I like the feedback of the states that actually do have this loophole.

I present to the folks who have not seen it...

the S&W990L:

mmmmmmm :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
doesnt walmart program there computers to recgonize pistol ammo? anyways if you cant posses one at 18 and have to be 21 to buy one i think it should be fine to be able to have one if you are in between!!!

shooot you could always say you are going to use it for hunting!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
[TASF said:
Maverick]I have 11 months until I'm "mature" enough to purchase a pistol and carry it concealed. But much like you have a learner's permit before you get your driver's license, I think I should get practice in with my pistol before I get the CCW. I want to get the CCW as soon as I turn 21. Why waste time?

I know I could give cash to my father and he would purchase one for me, but I don't want it to be stored 2 hours away where I can't practice with it. Am I making any sense?

And I have an AK clone for plinking... yummy :D
Show your maturity then and wait like a good boy. If the DA in your area decides you were immature by having someone give you one before you were old enough you could be old and gray and not be allowed to ever get one. Remember convicted fellons can't posses firearms and doing something tht sounds like a straw purchase is a very fast way to becoming a fellon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just to be clear, I mentioned the God-given right to DEFEND ONESELF. Guns were, of course, not available at the time, but the basic truth remains. Did Jesus not tell his disciples something along the lines of "He that hath no sword, let him sell his coat and buy one"? My memory isn't so great.

·
Registered
595 Posts
If I read this correctly :?:

It seems as though Mr.? (or Ms.) Maverick is searching for a genuine practical way to steer yourself into trouble..... You are showing a fools level of immaturity for wanting to OWN a pistol that is not legal for you to buy. If you get caught with the handgun, you and the "REGISTERED" owner will be liable for damages incurred. If your dad buys it and "gives" it to you, he can be liable for leaving it in your possession if you happen to SHOOT someone with it. The only way around that would be for him to declare it stolen or for you to reside in his household. Guess what> If he declares it stolen and YOU just shot someone with a hot firearm, then you are not going to live a happy firearm owning life E-V-E-R. Don't try to circumvent the legal system. It will usually come back to bite you in the end. Stick with the rifle use then graduate to a full credited legal carry when you turn of age.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, I really respond too slowly. It sounds like the situation here in TX, where I legally became a comissioned security guard at age 19, but couldn't legally BUY the handgun I was licensed to CARRY on duty until I turned 21. But it isn't a loophole or a straw purchase to be given a gun as a gift, as long as the recipient of the gift is legally able to own/possess the gun. Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me. I wouldn't count on the open carry thing, though. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Well, why did Jesus not have one on him when he was arrested ( a lot of good it would have done him against roman legionaires)? I am all for defending oneself, that is why I got a small arsenal. But I am very meticulous about following the letter of the law and avoiding any loopholes. Just imagine my frustration at being delayed every time I buy a gun because of my alien status, but I do wait. So can you.

I think the possibilities of you being assaulted within the next 11 months in a manner requiring the response with deadly force is negligeable. If you are really mature you can wait that long. If you want to practice, find a buddy that is legal and have him take you as guest to range for some practice sessions. BTW, getting a CPL and carrying immediately on one's 21st birthday without proper training is a good way to get kileld or injured. Take a proper defensive pistol course first. It is not how they show it on TV, one should be trained in both the actual mechanics of defensive pistol use and also in the legal ramifications and limitations in the use of deadly force.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I 'could' get into that discussion, but I feel it would be hijacking this young man's thread. I can assure you, however, that I followed the law every step of the way, even as my own mother had to purchase my pistol ammunition, and my first handgun was a loaner from my uncle (read:gift), and had no hassles on or off the job. Also, if the chance of someone being attacked in a given 11-month period were negligible, what then is the rationale for carrying at all?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't get it, it's not a loop hole or anything else. If the law says that you can posses a handgun if you are over 18, then thats the law :shock: . What part don't some of you get? If there is a problem buying ammo, don't lie about what its for, just grab mom, or dad and head down to Wall Mart have them buy it for you (see not breaking any laws there), and spend some time with the folks.
As for maturity, he has the gun and is tring to find some info, and made it this far. It sounds like he has already read the laws for where he lives, and just had a qustion, sounds mature to me. You don't instantly be come mature when you turn 21, and I have met alot of people under 21 that are as mature and responsible as alot of adults I know.

It's funny that a youg man at age 19 is mature enough to hand him an M16 send him across the ocean to fight a war, but when he's here he isn't mature enough to own a handgun or have a drink :?.
I'm 41, but I can still rember having to get mom or dad to go with me to buy ammo when I was his age.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
[TASF said:
Maverick]Krakoa that's the thing, there isn't a law that prohibits possession to someone over 18. There's only one that prohibits the purchase of the firearm through a federal dealer. And I personally feel that your first post on here was very welcomed and logical. I too was very shocked at some of the responses I've had on this thread. Welcome to the forums :D There's tons to learn from the guys here... about ANYTHING.

As far as buying ammunition for the pistol, I am looking at the new S&W SW990L chambered in .40 S&W. When I go to Wally world to purchase ammunition and get the "is this for a pistol" question, I'm going to say it's for a .40 cal high-point carbine that I own. So buying the ammunition shouldn't be a problem.

I like the feedback of the states that actually do have this loophole.

I present to the folks who have not seen it...

the S&W990L:

mmmmmmm :D
Isnt this the S&W that had so many problems? Do some checking but I think this one turned out to be a lemon. I know its made by Walther and all but take some time and read up on, I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts