Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent my paperwork off for a Virginia non-resident concealed carry permit. I will be able to carry in more states by doing so. I was wondering if anyone else has a VA nonresident permit, and if so, how long did it take for the application process? There was nothing on the paperwork that indicated a time length. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I don't know if it applies to non resident but they have 45 days to approve or disapprove. If neither happens, go to the courthouse you filed at and tell them the 45 days is up, they have to give you a copy and it can be used as an interim concealed carry permit until your application is either approved or disapproved.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I am a resident of Va. so YMMV. Mine took 21 days here in Va. Beach. Hope you can get it quickly since I know demand is up for them.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
VA law gives them up to 45 days to issue it.

I have a VA resident permit, in Fairfax County where I live they run right up to and often over the 45 days.

But, from what I've heard from folks that have got non-resident permits from VA the state police are much quicker.

You probably have a 2-3 week wait. Holiday season may slow it down a bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Based on the address where the paperwork was sent, it looks as if there is a seperate department just for the non-resident applicants which would probably have fewer applicants than the VA resident department. I know since the elections, the turnaround time has increased to 90 days here in Florida. Nobama :lol:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. Based on the address where the paperwork was sent, it looks as if there is a seperate department just for the non-resident applicants which would probably have fewer applicants than the VA resident department. I know since the elections, the turnaround time has increased to 90 days here in Florida. Nobama :lol:

Resident permits are done at your county court house. The state police process only non-resident permits.

The state police are very professional and process the permits in a realistic time frame, they don't get the local politics that hold up permits for the full 45 days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I received my paperwork back along with a letter stating that I needed to fill out the revised version of the application. It looks like they had originally sent me the wrong application. The only difference between the old one and the new application is they added a question regarding if I had ever had a Virginia CCW permit before, and if so, which courthouse I obtained it from. The paperwork is back on its way to Virginia and hopefully I will have a permit by the end of January.

·
Registered
693 Posts
good luck with it man. I got my residential permit in about a week and half. my wife's took almost two weeks. Hopefully once you get that paperwork back they'll get it to you quick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My permit came in the mail today. I'd say it was pretty fast considering the increase in CCW applicants since the elections. A+ for Virginia :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts