Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts

·
Premium Member
128,276 Posts
As an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor I must voice my disapproval of courses like this. Imagine it was your driver's license you were obtaining by this method. It looks to me like someone just out to make a buck. Personally, I am glad that the state of Ohio requires a 12-hour class with 2 hours of range live fire. Believe me when I say I have failed students in my classes who didn't demonstrate the intelligence, attitude, or physical skills to carry concealed.

www.nwohioccw.com

·
Registered
691 Posts
Unless you want or need the training, just take the online safety course Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class - Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit for $39. It's an hour video and a 20 question test. Boom, your done.
I would NOT recommend this. Take a real class that has a lawyer come in and cover the laws. For me to get a CHP in VA all I was required to do was fill out the paperwork due to prior military firearms training or prior NRA safety classes. I chose to take a class because of the law section taught by a lawyer who specializes in firearms cases. That one item there was well worth the cost, $75 + ammo I believe. The class was about 9 hours and included range time, you can't get anything like that from an online course and a 20 question test. And the new shooters in the class actually learned how to shoot a handgun, another thing you can't get from the internet.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Surprised to see so many people here who approve of more laws, red tape, and hassle to exercise your 2A right. Are you suggesting that people who don't have "sufficient training" not allowed to protect themselves? Who are you, or anyone else to say what is enough training? How do you feel about states that do not require any course be taken for CCW or OC? in VA, nothing is required for OC. You can walk into a store, drop the money and walk out with the gun n your hip and you're 100% legal. As it should be. I suppose states like VA and others who don't require live fire training are marred with NDs, deaths, and other gun related accidents. As for learning the laws, as with EVERYTHING ELSE it should be up to the individual to understand and obey. If not, then they will be punished as such. You bring up driving? Driving is a privilege, bearing arms is a right granted to every American citizen. There is no asterisk.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am a Virginia based firearms instructor and I am firmly against "online gun safety training". Its a joke. Its nothing more than a way to make a quick buck. I have had students ask us if we'd ever consider doing something like that and the answer is always NO. If you have ever taken a live class, there are things that come up, questions, etc that a 60 minute video can't handle. Hell there's one out there that is only a 30 minute video.

For $25 more, you can come and get 5 hours of training (not 1) with a LIVE instructor and handle REAL guns and ask QUESTIONS. There's something about being an instructor, teacher, etc. that I call the "I got it" factor. If you are good at your job, you can see if the students are understanding the material. The video can't offer that.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Surprised to see so many people here who approve of more laws, red tape, and hassle to exercise your 2A right. Are you suggesting that people who don't have "sufficient training" not allowed to protect themselves? Who are you, or anyone else to say what is enough training? How do you feel about states that do not require any course be taken for CCW or OC? in VA, nothing is required for OC. You can walk into a store, drop the money and walk out with the gun n your hip and you're 100% legal. As it should be. I suppose states like VA and others who don't require live fire training are marred with NDs, deaths, and other gun related accidents. As for learning the laws, as with EVERYTHING ELSE it should be up to the individual to understand and obey. If not, then they will be punished as such. You bring up driving? Driving is a privilege, bearing arms is a right granted to every American citizen. There is no asterisk.

WA is even better. Go to court house, fill out papers, get background check, 8 days later you got your blessing card in the mail. No classes required at all.

I agree 100% with you. The only place I see this holier than thou spew is on the web. I dont know a single person with that kind of opinion in the realityweb and they always make me chuckle when I read it here on the web. Maybe they dont get out much or really are that elite that commoners need not know them or talk to them, dunno. Just my take on these wild opinions folks, no worse than yours so take it like I take yours..............

·
Registered
509 Posts
The classes are useless unless you have never been around firearms, the laws change every July here in VA. So it's on you to stay current and within the law. Oh crap on second thought maybe we should require a class every June so we can be saved from ourselves. Lord forbid we require people to spend 10 minutes online researching the newest law or maybe we should do away with reciprocity agreements and we carry a card that says one of these glorious instructors have signed us of for what ever state we travel through. With these mind sets in place we are on the edge of rolling back the progress that has be made over the last 20 years.
The goal should be NO LICENCING TO CARRY!!!!

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
The classes are useless unless you have never been around firearms, the laws change every July here in VA. So it's on you to stay current and within the law. Oh crap on second thought maybe we should require a class every June so we can be saved from ourselves. Lord forbid we require people to spend 10 minutes online researching the newest law or maybe we should do away with reciprocity agreements and we carry a card that says one of these glorious instructors have signed us of for what ever state we travel through. With these mind sets in place we are on the edge of rolling back the progress that has be made over the last 20 years.
The goal should be NO LICENCING TO CARRY!!!!

Amen brother!! I am sooo hapy to see people make themselves be heard on this issue. Too many times in the unreality web the hate comes from within aswell as from out.

I swore an oath to god to protect my wife an family. I will keep that oath first.

I bet a paycheck these are the same guys that would hand over their first freedom if someone came anocking and demanded it, just sayin.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sorry but I disagree 100%. As a RO I see people everyday that have no business shooting a gun. Today I had a guy load his shotgun with the shells backwards!!:shock:

While they may have a right to own a gun I'm sure you wouldn't want them shooting next to you!! I see nothing wrong with proper training before you try & defend yourself or your family.

·
Registered
403 Posts
WA is even better. Go to court house, fill out papers, get background check, 8 days later you got your blessing card in the mail. No classes required at all.

I agree 100% with you. The only place I see this holier than thou spew is on the web. I dont know a single person with that kind of opinion in the realityweb and they always make me chuckle when I read it here on the web. Maybe they dont get out much or really are that elite that commoners need not know them or talk to them, dunno. Just my take on these wild opinions folks, no worse than yours so take it like I take yours..............
Where in Washington did you get your CPL? King County is taking the full 30 days right now. Man, eight days. That would have been sweet.

As for the training bit, I heard in real life a firearms instructor recently say that he favored training classes to get a CPL. Although, if you pay attention, a lot of people in favor of classes just happen to be instructors...

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Sorry but I disagree 100%. As a RO I see people everyday that have no business shooting a gun. Today I had a guy load his shotgun with the shells backwards!!:shock:

While they may have a right to own a gun I'm sure you wouldn't want them shooting next to you!! I see nothing wrong with proper training before you try & defend yourself or your family.

I get where you are comming from. However how many people wear watches that have no concept of time? Should they have to have governemt mandated time management classes and certification before they can own or wear one? How would commoners get to work on time?

There were no fancy classes 130 years ago. No one needed nothing but a competent father to teach them proper firearm handleing. For those that did not get that then they will learn the hard way or like most will have a buddy like me willing to take my time to give them basic knowledge to build on.

If I saw someone loading shells backwards I would offer help. Not demand laws that require a class with an "I got it" attitude instructor. That makes soooo much (non)sense........

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Where in Washington did you get your CPL? King County is taking the full 30 days right now. Man, eight days. That would have been sweet.

As for the training bit, I heard in real life a firearms instructor recently say that he favored training classes to get a CPL. Although, if you pay attention, a lot of people in favor of classes just happen to be instructors...
Thurston County is where I got mine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree owning a firearm is a right, however any responsible owner of a firearm would likely agree that people need training to use a firearm safely and responsibly. I think prior to purchasing / owning a firearm you should have to demonstrate a minimum level of proficency. It is safer all around and could lessen the retoric of the anti-gun activists. I for sure do not want a law abiding citizen attempting to stop an armed robbery and my child becoming a backstop. Simply because they do not know to look beyond the threat due to lack of training. I live in AZ and you should see some of the clowns walking around open carrying with their pants hanging down. Half the time the firearm is flopping around all over the place, makes me wish there was a requirements for a minimum level of training.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Training will never fix stupid, and giving into the anti-gunners is not how you win. But as long as people feel their states requirements "should be the minimum" and the open carry folks are "those people" no head way will be made. The main thing taking the class does is gives some guy $70.00 and a forum to tell a captive audience how he only likes these 3 calibers, or how awesome a revolver is, and lets face it no one will challenge him because the need the paper.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I get where you are comming from. However how many people wear watches that have no concept of time? Should they have to have governemt mandated time management classes and certification before they can own or wear one? How would commoners get to work on time?

There were no fancy classes 130 years ago. No one needed nothing but a competent father to teach them proper firearm handleing. For those that did not get that then they will learn the hard way or like most will have a buddy like me willing to take my time to give them basic knowledge to build on.

If I saw someone loading shells backwards I would offer help. Not demand laws that require a class with an "I got it" attitude instructor. That makes soooo much (non)sense........

I agree 130yrs ago most people did not require training. But back then most cities did not allow open or concealed carry. (atleast within the city limits).

I am all for people being able to carry and exercise their 2nd Amendment Rights. Unfortunatly, since the average person does not grow up around firearms, hunting has decreased so the average person does not have the skills or training or even basic familiararity with a firearm.

I recently completed the CCW course for AZ, it was not required since I am an active duty Marine. I could have just mailed in the paperwork and received the card. But I believe you can always pick up a little more knowledge and information on anything you do. Firearms demand respect to be safe and that requires training.

Plus from a legal stand point, you want as much training as possible. If you are involved in a justified shooting, often times it is on you to prove it is justified. Being able to show proper training, the fact you know the law and follwed it is helpful.

Many have stated the 2nd Amendment right and oath to protect your family. I stand with you, but part of protecting your family is handling that firearm safely. Since most of us are on this site to share information with like minded people and learn more about firearms, I am sure most of the XDTalk members would handle a firearm safely. But those folks that are robbed, live in a bad neighborhood, or just felt the need to get a firearm with no training or experience at all are the ones that worry me.

So I have no issue with requiring a minimum amount of training in order to exercise your right to carry.

This is just my opinion and am not trying to spin anyone up. Just another perspective.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well I never said anything about who can or can't or laws about training. I said I would NOT recommend it. Everyone who carries a gun should be responsible enough to get the training to use it and understand the laws about when they can use them for defense and when they can't. Obviously, we will have idiots that walk into a store and throw money down so they can walk out with a gun. Not very safe and not very smart, but there are dipsticks driving cars and killing people too. I'm a firm believe in the constitution and the original 10 ammendments (others also but we are talking the bill of rights) which is why I recommend instead of call for laws. I also believe that you are responsible for what happens with your gun and if you have an accidental discharge then you take responsibility for it and it is not an "accident". With freedom comes responsibility, they go hand in hand.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I agree 130yrs ago most people did not require training. But back then most cities did not allow open or concealed carry. (atleast within the city limits).

I am all for people being able to carry and exercise their 2nd Amendment Rights. Unfortunatly, since the average person does not grow up around firearms, hunting has decreased so the average person does not have the skills or training or even basic familiararity with a firearm.

I recently completed the CCW course for AZ, it was not required since I am an active duty Marine. I could have just mailed in the paperwork and received the card. But I believe you can always pick up a little more knowledge and information on anything you do. Firearms demand respect to be safe and that requires training.

Plus from a legal stand point, you want as much training as possible. If you are involved in a justified shooting, often times it is on you to prove it is justified. Being able to show proper training, the fact you know the law and follwed it is helpful.

Many have stated the 2nd Amendment right and oath to protect your family. I stand with you, but part of protecting your family is handling that firearm safely. Since most of us are on this site to share information with like minded people and learn more about firearms, I am sure most of the XDTalk members would handle a firearm safely. But those folks that are robbed, live in a bad neighborhood, or just felt the need to get a firearm with no training or experience at all are the ones that worry me.

So I have no issue with requiring a minimum amount of training in order to exercise your right to carry.

This is just my opinion and am not trying to spin anyone up. Just another perspective.

I am active duty aswell and 'training' is waived alot for me too. I have a copy of my states lethal force and carry laws in the car, in my house and memorized in my head. I never paid a dime in my life and I even talked to a so called trainer and expert (as he called himself) before I moved to NC. The darnfoolidgit flat out told me a few lies and they were based soley on his opinion. He told me it was law and thats how it is. I feel sorry for people that pay for training from people with that "I go it" attitude. It pi$$es me off to read that kind of my way crap. If thats how they feel they need to apply for a job with a rag and spew in them glossy pages, I dont read them because they are the largest waste of money............

Them guys need to join HCI and push their agenda there, not on a freakin gun forum...

·
Registered
194 Posts
The classes are useless unless you have never been around firearms,
Do you have any idea how many come to our classes and have never even touched a gun? More than I can count. Do you know how many "experienced" gun owners walk into the classroom with a loaded gun, despite being told not to bring ammo? Or how many of them hand me their gun with it pointed at me?

the laws change every July here in VA. So it's on you to stay current and within the law. Oh crap on second thought maybe we should require a class every June so we can be saved from ourselves. Lord forbid we require people to spend 10 minutes online researching the newest law
Actually, most people have no idea how to even find the laws online and if they find them, they don't understand them, or worse, they misunderstand them. We actually do a class several times a year that covers all of the carry laws in Va. and I update the class every July when the laws change.

one of these glorious instructors
What do you have against the instructors? We're offering a service that many folks want and need.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts