Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a stab here since this is the only gun forum I am on and I am sure someone else has seen one of these. I acquired one of these today don't ask how or where I got it I'm not allowed to say to add to my collection. Pic is the same pistol, mine is in similar condition.
-

-
All I really know about it is that it may of been called a "Parlour Pistol". It has no serial number, Germany stamped on the frame, a Crown stamp and a B and a Crown stamp and a U which I have already figured out as proof marks, there is no stamping of JGA or nothing anywhere on the pistol which tells me it's no later then 1909 or so from what little I am finding on it, other marks is a 5,3 and maybe a mm afterwards, which I am hoping is calibre marking but 5.4 or 6 is .22. A 22 LR round fits okay in the breach and were given some CB caps as well which also fit it. Other markings there is a 6 stamped on each part and written in pencil inside the stock, It is a single shot, bolt action, pistol, barrel is rifled, the extractor is interesting, unlike my older Winchester's and Remington's this has a little horse shoe that slides back with the bolt as the extractor and it cocks itself by when you close the bolt you have to push rather hard against the spring forward and lock the bolt into place. I will not be shooting it till I can get more input, my gun guy was stumped when he saw it. From what I gathered its dated from 1890 to 1905 ish. But no clue really for sure. On 1909 and above had a JGA inside a circle stamped on the receiver and before 1890 it was stamped in a different way on the side. This has no marking. The dual trigger is kind of cool for that era, rear trigger sets the main and a light pull of the front trigger fires it. It is a well balanced pistol, easily fired one handed thanks to the spur on the trigger guard. Has a notched rear sight and a bead front sight. One thumb screw on the bottom removes the stock from the mechanicals. Over all it is in fairly good shape and a worthy addition to our collection. I heard the Red Army pretty much destroyed all German firearms before the war so I may have a rare thing here.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually did some serious research, found a guy off another site that have me a history lesson. What I ended up with is #6 of the first year of production, they stamped them with a single digit, and wrote with pencil on any other wood part. It was made in 1891 and in 1891 only 8 were made as far as they know. Very few of the original run from 1891-1905 exist maybe about 12 total. After 1905 they went to a more uniform serial number and stamped a nice JGA emblem on the breach. Apparently the factory was destroyed by the Nazis during the war and they made sure anything and everything was destroyed.

It is actually a .21 even though a .22 long fits it, post 1905 all were .22 s/sr/lr. We have some cb caps that fit but were advised to shoot at our own risk with it because today's poder is far more explosive then the powder in 1895.

Its called a parlor pistol because of its size, it could be easily consealed under a waist coat and removed and fired almost silently from what i learned.

Its a beautiful piece of history and is an excellent conversation piece and where it was picked up from at a Cabellas if they knew what it was with what I know know it would of been in their display case locked with a huge $$$$ on it. I won't discuss the value it has for me now its priceless but I can say irpts now insured and worth many times what it was obtained for. And rare is well out of the question.

The later model like I have pictured in my OP is a 1905+ model, and they sell for what was paid for mine and is the median price for them and since no records exist anymore they had zero to go on.

Special thanks to Gunther at The Royal Artillery Mesuem in the United Kingdom for all the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts