Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you have some survivalist in you, and some of you have a lot.

I'm always in the process of building and improving my kit, and I've recently been turned on to the idea of a tac vest with some magazine pouches.

Who here has one for emergency situations, what did you spend, what features do you like and which don't you like?

I'm looking for a good, easy, accessible place to store AR and pistol mags on my person in the event I have to dig-in or bug-out.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
I have been looking at SKD because they have ones that fit my AR-10.

EssTac Boar A1 Split Front

.. but I did find a nylon tool belt at Lowes that will carry just as many mags for $50..

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blackhawk STRIKE Elite Vest Olive Drab CLOSEOUT

This is what I've been considering, mainly because it's at an affordable price point and a few people who are more educated than I have recommended the Drag handle and hydration pocket.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I really like the Condor MCR1 chest rig combined with their Triple Kangaroo pouches. With the Kangaroo pouches you get a rifle mag pouch and pistol mag pouch.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
they will all look like this

in a drastic enough SHTF situation to warrant one.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I keep a minimav with a 3x shingle plate, a single shingle, 3 pistol, and a blowout kit ready to go bedside. With one loop in place, it holds decent and can be donned by just tossing over your head and one arm. Figure if I need more than this can provide, I am screwed or should have the plate carrier on or should have already been long gone and its my fault for sticking around.

FYI the minimav is not a vest but a mini chest carrier. Its can easily be concealed under a jacket or what not. Its made by Tactical tailor. SKD/ EE/ HSGI/ ect all have their own version. Check them out.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The best vest that I have found and I dont mean (plate carrier), is the Camelbak Delta 5. Its a awesome vest with all the features that I like.

I like shoulder d rings, hydro pouch, mesh, molle, light, comfort and not so rambo looking.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If your shtf scenarios involve lots of combat, then they're probably a great idea -- combat is why they exist.

If you've looked at your likely shtf scenarios, and don't see combat as a probability, then I'd steer away from them. They increase weight on your upper body, which further burdens your lower back and they raise your center of gravity, which decreases your balance.

You said you're looking for a good place to store some AR mags on yourself for digging in /bugging in. Well, look at 3-gun competition. The fastest guys use mag pouches along these lines:

Ready Tactical AR15 Ambi Speed Mag Pouch

I was at a carbine class this weekend, and there was a cross-section of military and competitive shooters. When it came to any kind of reload, the military guys pulling from vests were a mile slower than the competition guys pulling from kydex on their belts. The vest have great retention, but if you're dug in, you're not crashing through the bush, so it seems you could trade some retention for an increase in speed.

The vests, again, would be great if you're fighting and moving locations, but you mentioned digging in and bugging in, so I'd say they don't seem to fit your use case, whereas a quicker, more competition-oriented setup seems more appropriate.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have a Cabelas Safari vest. Not very tactical but it has 13 pockets and can hold a ton of stuff including mags. To me it is more important to look low key than like some range commando.

The other thing is that I actually wear it so I know what to carry and what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It's hard to decide where to draw the line and it would also depend on where you're located. I'm kind of the opinion if you pulled out a carbine that takes 30 round magazines, who's going to blink at a vest? Just my two cents

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do you all like vests or an empty plate carrier to hold your gear? Would something like the Condor Plate Carrier be a decent option? I'd think a carrier would hug your body more and not not bounce around or sag when you lean forward. I'm not sure which would be easier to put on and take off though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
There are many reasons why those who "battle" as a profession or have a responsibility to "fight/defend" under specific circimstances- do not employ the methods of competitive "timed" shooters.

There is nothing wrong with competitive shooting but its simply not combat training.

·
Registered
519 Posts
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358022814.653963.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358022959.506173.jpg
The beginning of my plate carrier.

Sent from my electronic trigger device using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
is that a "break-away" admin pouch on the front?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
unfortunately for me, I most likely will have to go thru some form of combat from where I live now, to get to my Bug out destination if the scenario ever arises. Ive been trying to find a chest rig of some sort that not crazy expensive but will hold a 4-6 AR mags and some gear.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't see any problem with budget plate carrier unless you're actually planning on throwing in plates. I have chest rigs and plate carriers and I prefer the plate carrier because it is more stable (less pliable) and retains its shape. A chest rig with loaded mags tends to shift around in my experience even when worn over a plate carrier.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't see any problem with budget plate carrier unless you're actually planning on throwing in plates. I have chest rigs and plate carriers and I prefer the plate carrier because it is more stable (less pliable) and retains its shape. A chest rig with loaded mags tends to shift around in my experience even when worn over a plate carrier.
I was thinking that as well. Any that you would suggest?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts