Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was stripping down the XD for its ussual after range shooting, and I noticed some kinda stress fracture running up each side of teh locking block. So I pull it out of the frame and sure enough, barely visible, there are two cracks forming in the locking block. When you squeeze the end of the locking block a little bit, you can see oil squeezing out of the two tiny cracks. :( :( :( :( This is my only pistol and I conceal carry with it al the time. Whats worse, is right now I can barely afford to ship this thing to Springfield. :( :( :( :(

You can actually (barely) see it in pics. I have pointed out teh areas with red arrows.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Well, If I were you, first thing tomorrow I would call them, explain you have pictures and ask them what they want to do about it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That realy sucks. Which XD is it, and how was it set up (spring weight, ammo)?
Of all the petty little problems I have read about on this forum, this is one of the few that seams to be something to worry about.
I'm sure Springfield will fix it but it sucks to be without your carry gun even if it was only a week :cry: .

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.40 Service Model
Don's Gide Rod with 23 lb spring (wich I think would soften the recoil and thus the stress on that locking block) AND stock Recoil Spring Assembly
Walmart bought .40 Winchester 100 packs and Remmington JHP 100 packs. Whatever the common Walmart stuff is.

I am a strong fan of this pistol, but this is the second "major" thing that has happened to it. The first was this exciting malfunction after only 189 orunds :( :

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
that really sucks and is disturbing. I wonder if they can send you another locking block, given the circumstances. I'd explain the situation and push hard for them to bend over backwards to help you out.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I was just reading about the recoil assemblys comming apart, and now I think I will order one of Dons guide rods tonight. Is the 23# spring is the way to go in the XD40?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no doubt that they will do what it takes to make the situation right. But they will most likely want to see teh gun and try to figure out whats wrong with it. I hope that they can cover shipping both ways cause I live on a tight "recent college graduate" budget.

As far as the spring weight goes, I think it comes down to personal preference.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
There looks to be some peening of the metal on that edge, as if the lug under the barrel is hammering there. That is odd, my barrels are loose when the slide is all the way back, and show no signs of deformation. They should get the complete gun back, so that they can inspect the under part of the barrel.
I think that they would cover the shipping on this, if not let us know and we will shame them! :wink:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I thought that that looked familiar. I want an inspected my gun and sure enough I have the same hair line cracks forming in the same place. I will definately call them in the morning. Hey 03Ranger PM me and let me know what they say. I am also going to talk to them about a refinish because of small rust. I have approximately 5k rounds through mine. Almost all WWB with the stock spring. Any thoughts people? I hope that this will not be an epidemic.

Tim :(

·
Registered
539 Posts
well, my locking block has formed a similar lip along that leading center edge. I never saw any cracks, but after hearing about your situation, i think i will give SA a call and have they look at mine while they still have it for warranty repair and trijicon install.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Just to speculate a little .
captive recoil spring failed. cause gun to lock up .So we pry and had everyone try to get it apart.
Exerts excessive force on locking block not to mention fired and then broke.
This was probably created by the recoil failure. :shock:
Seems someone else had a recoil lock up and Springfield replaced his gun.
Maybe his lock block and barrel also was broke.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
whatever you do, make sure to report this to SA so they have a record of the problems to fix in the future.

sorry man, that sucks, i will keep an eye on mine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is the first problem that I have had with my gun and I still stand behind the quality of the firearm!! :) My xd40 has been very reliable and a joy to shoot, and I will buy another without a second though. :lol:

Tim

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Anyone here from SA yet? I just took a look at mine, only have 600 rnds. thru it, w/magnifying glass, all looked good. Will definitely be adding this to the clean and inspect ritual.
I think R/T is onto something in the realm of possibilities. If the assembly is in failure mode after the gun returns to battery, would that mean little or no suppression of recoil, and all is absorbed by the locking block and barrel on the following shot?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hmmm, maybe I should rethink the XD in .40. A few more people finding this issue and we'll start seeing the polls and threads like with the rust issue.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
R/T has your GR assembly ever failed? Or do you just run a lower # rated spring?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I have ran lighter springs no guide rod failure but downloaded ammo and only a 50 rounds if that with the light spring.I just got it back from Rich and haven't even fired the new trigger yet :evil: :cry:
Here is some pics

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

It's hard to see but the one on the left will catch your finger nail
I am emailing Springfield if I don't get a quick response I will follow it with a call

1 - 20 of 102 Posts