Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting a 1911 and i see taurus has a $75 rebate for the 1911s:eek: should i go for it? could i get some feedback on the pt1911 and some price checks.
thanks

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Check out m1911.org. I have heard that Taurus is starting to put Novak sights on their PT1911. You can also go to gunbroker.com and check some prices there or use gun genie. I was in the market for a PT1911 but I ended up with a RIA Match for not much more. You may want to take a look at it too. I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I've not heard anything bad about them....I say go for it!!!

I got the 1911 bug a while back and haven't stopped;)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Damn the 1911 bug. The damn thing just feels so sexy in your hand!

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
I have been wanting a 1911 and i see taurus has a $75 rebate for the 1911s:eek: should i go for it? could i get some feedback on the pt1911 and some price checks.
thanks
I just went through your situation a couple months back. You can check out my thread here.

I've been very please with my Taurus PT1911 AR. Here are my first impressions after first trip to the range.

IMHO, go for it.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My local gun shop recommended against the PT1911 because the parts aren't interchangable with others if you plan to mod it. I don't know how true that is though, or to what extent...

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
My local gun shop recommended against the PT1911 because the parts aren't interchangable with others if you plan to mod it. I don't know how true that is though, or to what extent...
Depending on which Taurus model you get, there really isn't very much at all you would want to "mod." Maybe change grips. This isn't a Ruger 10/22 you're buying. ;)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My big bug is an M1 Garand.
Where do we get these cravings?
Me too, if i found an M1 Garand i'd jump on it. I got bit by the AR bug 2 months ago....that was an expensive bug to fix. As for where we get it, who knows.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well i was coming home from school today i pass this gun shop everyday i goto college i heard people talk about it but i was never in there. I have always bought from advanced arms great people there. So i went in they had a few pistols not very many at, they had a taurus ss1911, after like 10 mins the guy asked if he can help me. I told him i was intrested in a pt1911 he didn't even respond back just kinda looked at me like i had 3 heads. I asked if he had any of the cheaper pt1911s because the one i saw was the ss and was like 600bux. He said thats the cheapest one they make, he said the blued one are more, i kinda looked at him funny he flipped though a book and said the cheapest one was $550+tax+pics. He never even offered to let me hold the gun or said anything about it. I was very dissapointed in the shop. I dont know if its because i am young or what, but i will never go back there. This just makes me thankfull I have one good gun shop that always takes care of me.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Well i was coming home from school today i pass this gun shop everyday i goto college i heard people talk about it but i was never in there. I have always bought from advanced arms great people there. So i went in they had a few pistols not very many at, they had a taurus ss1911, after like 10 mins the guy asked if he can help me. I told him i was intrested in a pt1911 he didn't even respond back just kinda looked at me like i had 3 heads. I asked if he had any of the cheaper pt1911s because the one i saw was the ss and was like 600bux. He said thats the cheapest one they make, he said the blued one are more, i kinda looked at him funny he flipped though a book and said the cheapest one was $550+tax+pics. He never even offered to let me hold the gun or said anything about it. I was very dissapointed in the shop. I dont know if its because i am young or what, but i will never being going back there. This just makes me thankfull I have one good gun shop that always takes care of me.
Not to take the thread too far afield, but what do you mean when you say "school?" Collage? High School? Jr. High School? If you obviously can't buy a product because of your age, a salesman is probably not going to spend a lot of time or effort on you. Is that a good attitude for him to have? No, but it is true about many salesmen.

As for the Taurus, I'm in the market for a 1911 and will probably go with one as it seems to be a good price point for the number of features it has right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I am in college.
Cool. If the salesmen and saleswomen at the store you frequent act like they don't want your money, meet their expectations and move on down the road to find a dealer that does. ;)

I really don't think you can go too wrong with a PT 1911.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No the shop me and my dad goto all the time (advanced arms) is GREAT and always take care of us thats why we bought our last 6 toys from there. The shop i went in for the first time ( nimrods) sucks and i will never go back.

But i talked to my dad and he is all about the 1911:D, so next week i will probably be heading down to advanced arms to see what they can do for me. But thanks for all your advise and help.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Jared

Just a few thoughts, if you don't mind...

I looked younger than I was until I hit my 30s, so maybe that was a reason behind the salesman's lack of interest. He may have thought you were too young to purchase a weapon. It is a pretty stupid assumption, but that could be the case.

Secondly, I am 45 and still find shops that aren't overly friendly no matter who you are or how old you are! I've gone into one with my boss (who is in his 60s) to look at shotguns and some young kid working there pretty much gave us the same treatment as you got from that shop! We were prepared to buy two shotguns (one each) but they lost the sale because of the way their employee acted.

My bottom line is don't read too much into the way you were treated. Maybe that shop made too much money that month and didn't want to earn any more! :rolleyes: You have a great shop, stick with as long as they continue to treat you right!

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jared

Just a few thoughts, if you don't mind...

I looked younger than I was until I hit my 30s, so maybe that was a reason behind the salesman's lack of interest. He may have thought you were too young to purchase a weapon. It is a pretty stupid assumption, but that could be the case.

Secondly, I am 45 and still find shops that aren't overly friendly no matter who you are or how old you are! I've gone into one with my boss (who is in his 60s) to look at shotguns and some young kid working there pretty much gave us the same treatment as you got from that shop! We were prepared to buy two shotguns (one each) but they lost the sale because of the way their employee acted.

My bottom line is don't read too much into the way you were treated. Maybe that shop made too much money that month and didn't want to earn any more! :rolleyes: You have a great shop, stick with as long as they continue to treat you right!

Cheers! M2
Thanks for your advise, That guy just lost 2sales too a 1911 and my dad is looking at a ruger charger but what can you do.:D

·
Registered
257 Posts
What you can do, Jared, is buy your PT1911 from your favorite gun shop. I know you won't be disapointed with the Taurus 1911. You might want to change the grips though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am surprised to see so much love for the PT1911. Most places I've seen look down upon them. For the record, I love my PT1911.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
my neighbor has a PT1911. he said he's had a couple of extraction issues, but he hasnt had much time to fool with it, and says it seems to get better every range trip.

the only thing that turns me off to the PT1911 is the aesthetic quality of the gun thats ruined by the fisher price sized font they use on the slide. i think it looks horrid...
its minor at best, but if i find myself buying a $500+ gun (or anything) its gotta be what i want, and look how i want it to look if possible.

if your looking to spend between $500-$600 for a 1911, i'd say save up a little more and look for a good deal on a used colt, SA, or even a Kimber. i personally dont care much for Para's either. but Colt would be my prime candidate.. but then again.. i'm a bit biased:)

cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts