Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

I have been using a Galco OWB for a few months, but I am looking for an IWB for summertime carry. I would like to get the opinions of members who most closely match my stats.

Here goes...

I am 5'8", 170 lbs., 32" waist

I usually carry my XD-9 service model at 3 o'clock or point of the hip, with about a 25° forward cant.

I want a tuckable, adjustable IWB like a CTAC or Tucker's Answer.

I would like to hear from members very close to my body size who carry a 4" XD. A lot of you carry subs, but since I don't have one I am trying to conceal, that info does me no good. I am interested in holster, cant setting, holster location and any quirks that might need to be compensated for. I also wish to know about comfort while driving and moderate activities like bowling, rollerblading, hiking etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this does not match your requirements but for summertime and activities it is the best there is. I live in FL and have found it very convenient esp. with shorts.

IrishIron

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
That's me! But I carry a sub in an Answer holster at 15 degrees so I guess I can't help ya. Just kidding. But you might as well know now, what works for somebody else dosen't mean it will work for you. Everybody experiments until they find what's right for them. You'll have to do the same.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I know that the Answer is fairly pricey, but if you got one I honestly feel like you'd like it. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with your build. I think you could adjust the cant that far forward, and while you could wear the Answer at 3'o clock, it works better at around 4.

Hope this was at least slightly helpful.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Galco SkyOps for my XD40. It is a good holster but here is what I have found with the Tuckable part of this. I am 6 foot and 180lb. With the XD "tucked" I have a very visible hump on my hip. I still used the SkyOps and I figure with my body frame, any tucked XD is going to show.

Also with the SkyOps and any holster, have a good belt, a CCW belt. It will make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fist K series holster ( thin Kadex ). Several Styles are cantable , interchangable loop. I have a K-10 that I carry day in-out and just love it. Ask around most folks love there FIST Inc. Holsters. I have a 3" ( off duty ) & 4" ( issue ) XD. I had the holster molded to the 3" but cut to the 4". that way I can carry either

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/default.htm

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
okgr8outdrs said:
Hey guys...
I have been using a Galco OWB for a few months, but I am looking for an IWB for summertime carry. I would like to get the opinions of members who most closely match my stats.
Here goes...
I usually carry my XD-9 service model at 3 o'clock or point of the hip, with about a 25° forward cant.
I want a tuckable, adjustable IWB like a CTAC or Tucker's Answer.
I would like to hear from members very close to my body size who carry a 4" XD. A lot of you carry subs, but since I don't have one I am trying to conceal, that info does me no good. I am interested in holster, cant setting, holster location and any quirks that might need to be compensated for. I also wish to know about comfort while driving and moderate activities like bowling, rollerblading, hiking etc.

Thanks in advance.
I don't recommend the Answer for wear at the point of the hip. The Answer needs a slightly flat place on your body to ride. While some have been happy with wearing the Answer at the point of the hip you should know that the pressure from your hip bone can change the shape of the holster slightly.
Slightly behind the hip works great. In front of the hip, not at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm 5'10, 150 lbs with a 31" waist. I use a "Bladetech IWB". It's kydex with 2 straps and fit's my XD perfectly. It's a bit pricey but serve's the purpose well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am 5'8 165lbs. 31" waist and I use the Galco Skyops listed above.

I think it conceals extremely well. wearing just a t-shirt it is very difficult for most people to see that I am carrying (I have tested this with a few of my friends).

Its collapsable which means its a pain in the @ss to reholster it after its drawn and it'll only work with belts that are 1.25" wide.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I finally found an IWB that I like. It's the g-code comfort carry-got it at gunner's alley. It has a nice forward cant and adjustable height and conceals really well. :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm 6'0", 180lbs, 32" waist. Not an exact match in body type, but I'll throw in my two cents any way. I carry my XD Service between 7-8 (left-handed), approximately 25deg cant. Even with generally close-fitting clothing, the gun is easily concealed. The only time concealment becomes difficult is when leaning forward; my shirt often rides up over the gun.

I have both a FIST K7 and K1. The overall construction of the K7 is much nicer than that of the K1, but neither lacks quality. That said, I use the K7 daily and I am very satisfied with it. However, I have consistent problems with my selection of belt attachment. The j-hook design too easily allows the holster to move up and down as it is not fully secured to the belt. I'm confident that a solid loop or something similar to the Comp-Tac C-Clip would resolve the matter, so I have no reservations recommending the FIST K7.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts