Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just got home from a day spent hanging with an old high school buddy. Spent some time at the range and catching up on old times. Stopped off at the folks house for a few then hit the road. About 4 miles from their house I encounter a DUI checkpoint. Two Ky state troopers at a wide spot in the road. I didn't have time to get out the wallet out before stopping so as i rolled the window down I slipped it out of my pocket. One LEO went to the rear of my truck, apparently running my plates. Other LEO was at my door.

LEO: How are you tonight sir?

Me: Just fine sir, just wanted to let you know I have a CCDW permit and it's on my right hip.

LEO: Thats fine, just leave yours there and I will do the same. May i see you drivers license please.

Me: Sounds more than fair to me, smiling as i hand him my DL and permit.

LEO: Where you heading tonight sir?

Me: Just on my way home from the folks house.

LEO: Have a good evening sir and drive safe.

Me: Thank you sir and you two gentlemen be safe as well.

Window up and I drive away smiling. Now even though these two LEO's were on a dark highway.....lit only by the lights on their cars (but very visible to any oncoming traffic btw) they never once seemed to be concerned with the fact that I had a loaded weapon. The one LEO that I spoke with was very polite, very professional and totally at ease with the whole situation. I do believe that the polite manner that I handled things played a big part in it the way everything went down.

All in all a very positive encounter. This is the way that all encounters between LEO's and law abiding citizens should be. I commend both of these officers for the proffessionalism that they showed tonight.

Oh and in the for what it's worth department, the range bag and two long gun cases in the back seat of my truck never even caused a raised eye brow. A win win in my book. Man I love Kentucky and our very generous gun laws:D.

·
Registered
298 Posts
nice to hear things like this. From my experience most cops are good people and gun friendly. Like with anything, there is corruption and there are always a few bad ones that ruin it for the rest. Glad to hear you had a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^^^^^ oops.....yeah guess i can see how that could be confusing. But being that neither of us drink, dad has been on the wagon for about 30 years and i quit drinking about 20 years ago, then it didn't even dawn on me "a few" could have been confused with having a couple cold ones.

Seen the terrible results of drinking and driving first hand (lost an aunt to a drunk driver) and it's something I have zero tolerance for.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
^^^^^^^ oops.....yeah guess i can see how that could be confusing. But being that neither of us drink, dad has been on the wagon for about 30 years and i quit drinking about 20 years ago, then it didn't even dawn on me "a few" could have been confused with having a couple cold ones.

Seen the terrible results of drinking and driving first hand (lost an aunt to a drunk driver) and it's something I have zero tolerance for.
I'm with Driver, I misread it the same way.

You handled that about as well as you possibly could. Polite, calm, reasonable, relaxed. Perfect.

I've talked my way out of a few tickets over the years, and sometimes the ticket was a lesser one than the LEO could have given me, and I've always used the very approach you did. If you want the best outcome possible, you always use politeness, manners, calmness to allow the officer to use whatever discretion he/she is interested in using that night.

Nicely done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been pulled over once while carrying and had a VERY positive experience as well, at the end of the encounter he shook my hand and thanked me for allowing him to do his job..he even let me off with a warning.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
The one thing I really resent about LEO encounters is being disarmed. I've been disarmed twice, once in Charlotte NC, and once in Greenville, SC - both times by Billy Bad-ass types. "I'm going to disarm you for my, and your, protection." Humph - like Sollozzo says to Tom Hagen in The Godfather, "If I'd wanted you dead, you'd be dead already." Some cops just can't bring themselves to believe private citizens should be armed, and that they have nothing to fear from a licensed gun carrier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts