Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They both feel good to me. I haven't shot either. I have a 3" 11-87 and two 870 Super Mags, so I really don't need either one, but I'd love to have a 3.5" semi and these two are my top two choices.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Sx3, the 20 guage has the world record for doves in 14 hours. The abuse they put these guns through is impressive. Dovenator with the Winchester SX3 20 Ga:

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd LOVE to go on an Argentina dove hunt! :)

·
Banned
0 Posts

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also want to go on an African Safari. ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
The reason I bought my versamax was after reading a review of a guy that went to Argentina with one, shot so many doves with such crappy ammo the damn shotgun caught on fire. He blew it out, loaded more shells and kept shooting. I've probably shot over a thousand shells through my versamax, and have never had a single issue. I also love how you setup the gun for you. Not just setting the length of pull, but setting the comb and rake in relation to the barrel to offset for your shoulder. Of all my shotguns, If I had to choose one, it would be my versamax. Going from 3 1/2" to 2 and 3/4" shells is just a matter of loading them. No adjusting. I've shot turkey, squirrels, rabbits, doves and ducks. It's truly a one gun fits all.

Only issue I've had with it is the tighest choke will loosen up, but that's any extended choke. For the money, you can't go wrong with a versamax.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have only had my versa max a few weeks now and shot probably 400 through it, 2 3/4 trap loads and a few 3 1/2 turkey loads without any issue other than the choke tubes getting loose but it only loosened by maybe 1/4 turn. The recoil with the 3 1/2 loads isn't as bad as I thought it would be

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm leaning towards the Versa Max. I sure do like how the SX3 feels though. Tough choice.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I had reliability issues with my sx3 in cold weather. Looking back and knowing what i know now it could have been a problem of too much oil. But the bolt would stick. It also didn't point well in my hands, so I ended up getting rid of it. Never had a lick of problems during warm weather or with light loads. Very low recoil also. I think it was a great gun, but between my ignorance of semi auto's at the time and the other stuff, it wasn't for me. Got an inertia gun and love it.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leaning towards the VM, but man the SX3 sure feels good.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I like PIE. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just talked myself off the ledge...
I'm sticking with my trusty 870 Super Mag's and my trusty old 11/87. I've shot A LOT of ducks and geese with "good ole" 12ga 3" ammo over the years.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I just talked myself off the ledge...
I'm sticking with my trusty 870 Super Mag's and my trusty old 11/87. I've shot A LOT of ducks and geese with "good ole" 12ga 3" ammo over the years.
Probably a good choice! I don't typically hunt with anything bigger then 3 inch either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts