Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Havnt heard any talk about the X5L unit lately. It seems to be on backorder everywhere. Ive had my eye on it for quite some time, but before I go diving in, I'd like to know if it's actually worth it. Any input is much appreciated. Oh and I am talking about the 2nd generation btw.

XD-9mm 4" Service

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey folks. Havnt heard any talk about the X5L unit lately. It seems to be on backorder everywhere. Ive had my eye on it for quite some time, but before I go diving in, I'd like to know if it's actually worth it. Any input is much appreciated. Oh and I am talking about the 2nd generation btw.

XD-9mm 4" Service
I've been checking for it pretty often with no luck. You might wanna consider the C5L instead... You could always give Viridian a call though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been waiting for info on this as well. Seems like they had a lot of problems with the initial release (delayed multiple times) and now everyone is backordered with not many if any threads about anyone having one.......

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have been looking too. can't find any in stock anywhere, and I am jones'n for a light too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a great write up in the tactical mag "Wartac" on the Veridian. I have the XD-9 in 4in and I am trying to find a duty holster that will accomodate the laser.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This has to suck for Viridian. They make what is arguably the best green laser / light combo in the X5L gen2, but they can't get enough of the damn things out the door to meet demand!

·
Registered
17 Posts
mines have been on back order since may and i just not my tracking number yesterday.
Ill post a picture of it and test fit it on my xdm 9 compact and xdm 45

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was amazed to walk into one of the LGS's around here and find a single X5L gen2 on the shelf where there hadn't been on before, so I snagged that sucker...

Here it is on my XDM45:

I have to say it looks pretty damn cool on the gun, almost like it was made for this model...

-

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was amazed to walk into one of the LGS's around here and find a single X5L gen2 on the shelf where there hadn't been on before, so I snagged that sucker...

Here it is on my XDM45:

I have to say it looks pretty damn cool on the gun, almost like it was made for this model...

-
What did it run if you don't mind my asking? Did you get a chance to compare it to the c5L, and if so what is your impression?

·
Registered
67 Posts
What did it run if you don't mind my asking? Did you get a chance to compare it to the c5L, and if so what is your impression?
It was $349 plus tax, which isn't the greatest price but wasn't too bad, especially considering that another LGS only had the gen1 X5L and they wanted $399 for that!

I have not had a chance to do a comparison against the C5L. In some ways its unfair to compare the C5L to the X5LG2 as they target different users, with the C5L really made for subcompacts, and the X5LG2 made for full size platforms. The green laser portion is likely equivalent between the two models, but the X5LG2 will stomp all over the C5L in the light portion, due to the higher intensity LED chip and the larger focusing optics. The X5LG2 will easily light up an entire room, not just a small area in front of the gun.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It was $349 plus tax, which isn't the greatest price but wasn't too bad, especially considering that another LGS only had the gen1 X5L and they wanted $399 for that!

I have not had a chance to do a comparison against the C5L. In some ways its unfair to compare the C5L to the X5LG2 as they target different users, with the C5L really made for subcompacts, and the X5LG2 made for full size platforms. The green laser portion is likely equivalent between the two models, but the X5LG2 will stomp all over the C5L in the light portion, due to the higher intensity LED chip and the larger focusing optics. The X5LG2 will easily light up an entire room, not just a small area in front of the gun.
Agreed, just didn't know if you had had a chance to compare next to one another. I ask because of the availability and price point of the X5LG2. I can see spending 250+ for the C5L easily, but wasn't sure if the 100-150 increase in the X5LG2 was worth it since they operate the same functions (w/ the light producing higher lumen in the case of the X5L). My Viridian will be my gift to me for X-Mas, so I still have some time to decide which route I want to go... Thanks for the pics and quick response too. That is an awesome bi-tone you have there... Do you have any vids or other pics of the X5L?

·
Registered
67 Posts
In my opinion the increase in price of the X5LG2 over the C5L is definitely worth it and you will be happy with your purchase. The increase in brightness and coverage, the mode programming flexibility, the fact that it remembers and returns to your last setting and the increased battery life of the CR123 cell make it the best green laser / light combo available (in my opinion, anyway). Plus, once the availability of the unit is increased I'm guessing you'll be able to buy it for around $325 with no tax and shipping included online.

FYI: If you happen to buy the X5LG2, don't be alarmed if the thing won't turn on or work properly when you first put the battery in and screw down the head of the light. I thought mine was broken because of this, but after investigating some more I realized that the light head has to be in a certain position (say anywhere from 12 o'clock to 5 o'clock) for the unit to make the proper battery connection. The unit is designed so that if you screw the head down all the way tightly the light head will be in the correct position. On my unit I was being gentle and not screwing it down very tightly, causing the unit to malfunction. Once I realized the trick, I screwed the head down very firmly and now it works perfectly.

I don't have any other pics or vids, but if I get some free time I'll try to make a few.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts