Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much velocity is lost w/ a xdsc as opposed to a service or tactical model?

:?:

·
Registered
126 Posts
i was kidding ... :?

my analogy was just that unless what you are shooting at is real thick, the 1 inch of barrel isnt going to make any kind of difference.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I remember post from the old AmmoLabs forum where someone posted their chronos from the XD-9 Sub-Compact, and the results were very good.

·
Registered
607 Posts
This is a rough estimate, but I remember seeing some 9mm data that showed about 8% drop in muzzle velocity going from a 5" to a 4" bbl and another 8% going from a 4" to a 3". The 8% stuck in my head. YMMV. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
The .40 and 9mm lose very little velocity going from a 4" to a 3" barrel. 25-75 f.p.s. average depending on the bullet. Unlike the .45 which was designed for a 5" barrel and loses lots in a 3" barrel. In fact in Ammolabs tests only 3 loads expanded reliably from 3" guns. Taurus Hex, Cor Bon Powerball, and Winchester Ranger +p. The 9mm and .40 are usually tested out of 4" barrels and are high pressure rounds. They hit their peak pressure fast. Good in a short barrel. In fact many people recommend 9mm and .40 over .45 in sub 4" barrels because they still perform well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts