Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys keep for SHTF vehicles? I have 3.
'87 4x4 Toyota pickup, carburated. IFS, so no Birfield joints to go out. Bone stock, except for winch and heavy front bumper. Spare ignition module in the glovebox wrapped in foil for EMP protection. I'll be replacing the cancerous bed with a flatbed with sides and bolting in a toolbox for spare parts and misc. gear. Gutless, but faster than walking, carries a lot, and almost bombproof.

'87 Yamaha Banshee. No cargo racks, but uses little fuel and can outrun most ATVs and dirtbikes. More of a toy than emergency transportation.

Mountain bike. Uses no fuel and allows me to travel much faster than on foot. Great for short trips.

What I really want is a diesel powered 4X4 UTV, such as a John Deere Gator, but that will have to wait until I'm rich (never).

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I have a bicycle. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
All I have is my DD for now... 01 dodge ram 5.2 magnum. It will be good for off the road SHTF situations...

·
Administrator
16,958 Posts
Only one you need... a Jeep.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My 1995 f 250 powerstoke, a bike, and boots... can go anywhere I want

·
Registered
963 Posts
Gave my bike away a while ago. Just going with the tundra

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Well sir I would say you are very prepared.

·
Administrator
16,958 Posts
I just installed a Bestop lock box under my seat. I never lock my Jeep, there is no security anyway when I take the top off. But now I have a place to keep my fire arm secure. Obviously it can be broke into... but it is going to take a LOT of time. Very good buy. $60. Get one if don't have it already.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I just installed a Bestop lock box under my seat. I never lock my Jeep, there is no security anyway when I take the top off. But now I have a place to keep my fire arm secure. Obviously it can be broke into... but it is going to take a LOT of time. Very good buy. $60. Get one if don't have it already.
Like this? They are money well spent. My Jeep stays 'naked' as much as possible.

Got mine not long after I got the JK. They are nice. Although I did have to replace the nut that holds the lock in once.

As you can see, we are a two Jeep household.

·
Administrator
16,958 Posts
BINGO! They changed the law here a while back that nowhere in your vehicle is a gun considered "concealed". But it did not really matter to me until I got my permit. Now, there are times when carrying is not appropriate and then I have a problem. Like I can't carry into my place of work. So I finally got around to getting the box and it's all good. Really glad I got it.

I have a Rubicon armored up for the rocks. That's it in my pic. I can go anywhere I need to. It's a very good vehicle to have. It's a very fun vehicle to have here in Colorado. :-D

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
BINGO! They changed the law here a while back that nowhere in your vehicle is a gun considered "concealed". But it did not really matter to me until I got my permit. Now, there are times when carrying is not appropriate and then I have a problem. Like I can't carry into my place of work. So I finally got around to getting the box and it's all good. Really glad I got it.

I have a Rubicon armored up for the rocks. That's it in my pic. I can go anywhere I need to. It's a very good vehicle to have. It's a very fun vehicle to have here in Colorado. :-D
No doubt. I'm VERY envious of your location.
If I weren't in Texas because of the one I love, Colorado/Utah would be my residence.
Rock crawling is my favorite, love the technicality of it.
These boys down here in Texas like to play in the mud, I'm not really into it, and the cleanup sucks.

I made a trip out there last year, and we did Spring Creek Trail, and Old Chinaman's Gulch. I preferred OCG to Spring Creek, but both were challenging and beautiful. We stayed in Frisco for a few days, then Estes Park, absolutely beautiful.

·
Administrator
16,958 Posts
Chinaman's is a favorite. Just a hour and a half from home. The best in the state is Holy Cross... near Leadville if you ever go. You get up to timber line at a old historic mining city... but the wheeling is awesome.

Of course Moab is unbeatable. Been a few times. God I love that place. Everybody should go. I've mountain biked and wheeled it. All you could ever handle.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Chinaman's is a favorite. Just a hour and a half from home. The best in the state is Holy Cross... near Leadville if you ever go. You get up to timber line at a old historic mining city... but the wheeling is awesome.

Of course Moab is unbeatable. Been a few times. God I love that place. Everybody should go. I've mountain biked and wheeled it. All you could ever handle.
Chinaman's was great.
We wanted to do Holy Cross, but the reports still had quite a bit of snow up there when we were there, so we nixed it, unfortunately.

My GF and I will go to Moab in the near future for sure.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only one you need... a Jeep.
My first vehicle was a '57 CJ-5 with Warn Overdrive. Immaculate condition. If it was capable of going over 60mph I never would've sold it, but I needed a daily driver.

My next vehicle was another CJ-5, this one a '76 with 4'' of lift, one piece axleshaft conversion in the AMC Model 20 rearend, and the crown jewel; a 300hp Chevy 350/TH350 combo. Not the best vehicle for an idiot 17 year old *******.

I ended up taking most of the drivetrain apart with the intention of adding full-width axles from my '76 Ford F150. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to make sure that the front diff was on the correct side before starting. So the Jeep just sat. I ended up giving it to my dad, who put it back together with the stock axles. It was a good lesson in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

Lately I've been fighting a powerful urge to try swapping a small block into my Toyota. I'm thinking Ford 302 or 351W, since the distributor is up front and both engines are lighter than the GM small blocks. There's a few wrecked Fox Mustangs and 4th gen Broncos around here....

·
Administrator
16,958 Posts
My first vehicle was a '57 CJ-5 with Warn Overdrive. Immaculate condition. If it was capable of going over 60mph I never would've sold it, but I needed a daily driver.

My next vehicle was another CJ-5, this one a '76 with 4'' of lift, one piece axleshaft conversion in the AMC Model 20 rearend, and the crown jewel; a 300hp Chevy 350/TH350 combo. Not the best vehicle for an idiot 17 year old *******.

I ended up taking most of the drivetrain apart with the intention of adding full-width axles from my '76 Ford F150. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to make sure that the front diff was on the correct side before starting. So the Jeep just sat. I ended up giving it to my dad, who put it back together with the stock axles. It was a good lesson in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

Lately I've been fighting a powerful urge to try swapping a small block into my Toyota. I'm thinking Ford 302 or 351W, since the distributor is up front and both engines are lighter than the GM small blocks. There's a few wrecked Fox Mustangs and 4th gen Broncos around here....
Nice. I had a Wagoneer, but didn't do anything with it. Then got a Cherokee, built that... swapped a Izusu D44 in the rear, and was going to do the front next... then a Rubicon that was built with a really good lift came available. I said I would never sell the XJ, but I did. I finished up the TJ with armor and some other upgrades. I'm not into the the big stuff and wrenching every weekend after I break it... 37s and bigger. There are some playgrounds here that the big boys play in and that isn't really for me... but I do love my Rubi... that I will never sell... unless it is for another Jeep.

And, while I am no prepper by any stretch, I do have my Jeep for a reason. And while I may get another daily driver at some point, I will always own a Jeep... for that reason.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Nice. I had a Wagoneer, but didn't do anything with it. Then got a Cherokee, built that... swapped a Izusu D44 in the rear, and was going to do the front next... then a Rubicon that was built with a really good lift came available. I said I would never sell the XJ, but I did. I finished up the TJ with armor and some other upgrades. I'm not into the the big stuff and wrenching every weekend after I break it... 37s and bigger. There are some playgrounds here that the big boys play in and that isn't really for me... but I do love my Rubi... that I will never sell... unless it is for another Jeep.

And, while I am no prepper by any stretch, I do have my Jeep for a reason. And while I may get another daily driver at some point, I will always own a Jeep... for that reason.
Like Carnage Canyon? That place looked insane.
One of our group had gone in there before, and broke an axle on his YJ just getting into the Canyon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts