Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an xd45; have just ordered a Theis holster, and am hoping to start breaking that in this weekend. Meanwhile, I am thinking of setting up a mount in a couple vehicles to place the pistol when I'm on the road. My current thought is to get a picatinny mount (like a bipod mount), drill that out and mount that in the vehicles, under the dash. Then I can use the factory holster, slip it into the rail mount, and be good to go. Anybody done something similar that they can comment on? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,765 Posts
My personal fav...

·
Registered
153 Posts
My personal fav...

Did something similar when i had my XD....i called Springfeild and asked for a LH paddle holster..they sent me one for free...and i took it and screwed it to the 4x4 shifter houseing in my dodge truck...was within arms reach at all times

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No room under the dash to hang the pistol.
No console to attach to.
Looks like about the only option I have for that one is to put it in a full holster, and slip that into the map pocket in the door. Maybe a left-hand one so I can clip it in there, for a little more security...

I'll have to look in the Explorer to see what I have for room in there... With the CD changer in the console, there isn't squat for room to attach to the side - thus the notion of the rail mount, if it will fit that way. Or I can look at a left-hander to attach to the outside of the lower console.

We'll see...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've seen exactly what you're talking about. But the person used an extra XD Gear mag loader they picked up at a gun show. Looks like they shaved it down to where it's just the rail part and bolted it to the dash. There is a pick of it on the SA facebook page. I'd post it but I couldn't get it to save to my computer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Never mind, I fond it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen exactly what you're talking about. But the person used an extra XD Gear mag loader they picked up at a gun show.
Thanks! I might have to scare up another one of those loaders. Of course, I don't really have much difficulty loading the magazine with just my thumb, so, I might just sacrifice the original... That seems like a great option for use in the truck - if I can fit it in the center console, with the pistol sticking straight up, so much the better! If I have to add a wedge to keep it suitably angled to fit, I might have to find a way to do that, but, we'll see...

·
Registered
414 Posts
I bought another Super Tuck and contact-cemented it to a piece of plexiglass from the local hardware store. Drilled a couple of holes in the front of the driver's seat and bolted the plexiglass to it. It sits right there between my legs, not easily seen but quick and easy to get to. I've been using it for several years and it works great.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hell, I just shove my gun between the driver's seat and the center seat cushion in my truck. Holds it perfectly!

I do like the rail-on-the-dash idea, though...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Was wonder who on the forum uses the dasantis kingston car holster. I know there was another thread with a pic of it but can't find it. Wanted to know how does it feel far a comfort. And does any other company make this

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
No room under the dash to hang the pistol.
No console to attach to.
Looks like about the only option I have for that one is to put it in a full holster, and slip that into the map pocket in the door. Maybe a left-hand one so I can clip it in there, for a little more security...

I'll have to look in the Explorer to see what I have for room in there... With the CD changer in the console, there isn't squat for room to attach to the side - thus the notion of the rail mount, if it will fit that way. Or I can look at a left-hander to attach to the outside of the lower console.

We'll see...
I had a Subaru that I could put my right handed Fobus into the drivers side door map pocket. It worked great, but I chose something else that I could reach with my strong hand and not my off-hand.

I can't seem to find my own thread, but I ordered an under dash kit from Gum Creek and used that. I haven't set it up in my new (to me) Explorer, but it should work fine.

Gum Creek Customs - Vehicle Handgun Holster Mount, Steering Wheel Handgun Mount

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
NRAStore sells one that goes around the seat and holds the pistol on the side of your seat. It works pretty good.
If NRA Store has them, someone else sells them as well.
I just hooked mine to my console as well and it's always available and an extra mag. It's hidden by my right knee if anyone casually looks in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
With set ups like these what do you do when pulled over by LEO, does the officer make you get out the car. And has anyone ever been pulled over with vehicle mounted holsters and how did the LEO handle it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts