Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Groups tight. I really like the results of my first build.

Started with stripped RRA upper and Stag lower. White Oak carrier group; RRA varmint barrel; Badger Arms charging handle; DPMS ventilated f.f. tube.

JP trigger/hammer combo; Hogue grip/Agrip; White Oak lower parts kit, less trigger/hammer. Have KNS non-rotating pins on order.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Dang! That scope is lonnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good God, that's the biggest scope I've ever seen on an AR. What is it?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Do you have enough eye relief with that scope? It looks like you have your scope at its very forward limit. For my Leupold V-III 3.5-10x40 scope, I had to buy a LaRue Tactical LT-104 mount with forward cantilever. The LT-104 also mounts the scope high so no separate rail spacer is needed. It has very well-designed quick detach mounts that return to zero. The LT-104 comes in 1" tube or 30mm tube versions.

Also, the RRA Varmint model has the RRA winter trigger guard if you want to complete the look of the Varmint model, but I recommend the Magpul enhanced trigger guard which has rounded sculpted edges and a tighter fit.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Do you have enough eye relief with that scope? It looks like you have your scope at its very forward limit. For my Leupold V-III 3.5-10x40 scope, I had to buy a LaRue Tactical LT-104 mount with forward cantilever. The LT-104 also mounts the scope high so no separate rail spacer is needed. It has very well-designed quick detach mounts that return to zero. The LT-104 comes in 1" tube or 30mm tube versions.

Also, the RRA Varmint model has the RRA winter trigger guard if you want to complete the look of the Varmint model, but I recommend the Magpul enhanced trigger guard which has rounded sculpted edges and a tighter fit.
Yep, the eye relief is fine. That's a Burris Signature 8-32X 44mm. Bought it from a guy at the local range who looks like the guy who made Ned Beaty squeel in Deliverance. He'd screwed up the Posi-Lock. I sent the scope off to Burris, who, of course, refurbished it free.

Scope has a unique feature that you photographers will appreciate. Has a "Daylight" and "Twilight" adjustable ring. Has an iris like a camera. With it set on "Daylight", you're getting a small f-stop; twilight is like an F2.8. With the "Daylight" setting, your focus depth-of-field is terrific.

Just got back from the range and shot a few rounds each of 40 gr. Blitzkings (way too light for the twist); some 55gr. V-maxes, which did great, and some 55gr. fmjbts, which did great.

Oh, yeah, I don't really care about the "varmint" look or any changes to the trigger guard, as we have very mild winters down here in S. GA. Also don't have a drop of Rambolista Wannabe blood coursing through my veins, so don't care for the "tacticool" look, either, with lights, lasers, etc., etc., blah. blah, blah, hanging off every surface where one might hang something off of. ;)

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
only thing u need now is a sweet stock on it soon as all my parts come in ill post some pics
I like the A-2 stock. I guess I'd install an adjustable Mag-Pul, if I found a real deal on one. Thought I was going to get one free, during the R&D period.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
My next and third rifle will be along the same lines. It looks great. I agree a Magpul PRS would look awesome on there.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Thats a nice looking rifle, I too built a varmint upper but in .204 Ruger. Im still gathering the parts for my lower, which Ive had for 8-9 months...lol
Im in no hurry :cool:

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haven't seriously shot for groups, yet, as I'm using some ammo I loaded up some time ago, just for plinking. Did try 55gr. fmj; 55gr. V-Max, and 40 grain Blitzking. Although the 40 gr. is probably a little light for the 1-n-8 twist, it shot a decent (under 1") group at 100 yds.

Was shooting into the sun when I was testfiring, and was mainly checking that I was getting enough gas to the carrier, etc. Did install a McFarland gas ring, which puts all the brass in a neat pile.

Was out calling up some crows this afternoon, but was unable to fool those bastids. Using a bipod, shot @ a small rock around 250 yds away, using the 40gr. Blitzkings, and easily hit it a couple of times.

I have some more bullets on order and will do some more serious loading soon. I'd be disappointed if this AR doesn't shoot in the 2s or 3s @ 100 yds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts