Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-
Yesterday I took my XD40 to the indoor range. I wanted to try out some new loads I cooked up to see which one my XD liked. Since we have a Range Report forum, I thought I'd post the results here for those who are interested to see how shot group sizes fluctuate with just a slight change in powder quantity.

There are 9 groups shot. Each group had 5 rounds. If you don't see 5 holes, then a round(s) were off the chart (an arrow shows where it appeared).

Distance was 10 yards, at an indoor range, seated at a bench rest.

Aim point was dead center of bull.

All rounds were made with Berry's Plated RS 180 grain bullets.
Cases were once-fired Winchester 40S&W.
CCI small pistol primers.
Powder is Hodgdon's HS-6. I started with 6.0gr of powder and for each group I increased the powder by 0.2gr.

Each picture will mention the load size for that group shot (6.0, 6.2, 6.4, etc.)

For those of you who are playing along at home, I'll give you the group sizes here according to powder load:
6.0gr = 1.75" group size, 2" below center of bull
6.2gr = 4.75" group size
6.4gr = 1.25" x 1" group, 1.25" center of bull
6.6gr = 4" group size, 1.25" center of bull
6.8gr = 3.5" group size
7.0gr = 1.75" group size, 1" center of bull
7.2gr = 2" x 1.5" group, 0.5" center of bull
7.4gr = 4" group size, 1 round down bottom left, felt 'hot'
7.6gr = 8.5" group size, felt very 'hot'

(is anyone still reading this?)

These results tell me the lightest load that had the best group at this particular distance was with 6.4gr of HS-6. Now, who said reloading is boring?!

So now if I want to load Berry's 180RS in my XD40 (ported barrel), I know exactly how much HS6 to use that will get me the tightest group at this distance. Next trip will be to the outdoor range where I'll do it all again only now I'll place the targets at the 20 yard line. Oh yeah, I also need to purchase a chronograph so I can check the velocity of these loads. Hay, I'm not made of money! One toy at a time!

My disclaimer of sorts: This data only applies to my particular XD with this specific barrel that is in my personal gun. Since each gun and each barrel is different (even though you may also have an XD40), you probably will get different results using this data in your own gun. This information is only presented for your viewing pleasure and is not intended as instruction on what you should load in your particular gun. Void where prohibited. Tax not included. No salesman will call. Must be 18 or older to play. Some restrictions apply. Offer void in Utah (sorry Utah). Your mileage will vary. Batteries not included. Your chances in winning are 1:250,000,000,000,000, unless you are an illegal alien.

·
Registered
64 Posts
thats a good report I have some HS-6 I need to use up. but I opt to go with 165gr xtreme plated bullets being my 40 is a subcompact. when I get it back from SA I will go along with you in documenting my range report. Reloading is a blast! how was the recoil over factory ammo, did you notice any difference?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JiJ, It's been a few months since I shot factory ammo so I'm trying to remember how that felt. If my memory is accurate, and it not always is, I'd say factory felt somewhere between 6.6 and 7.0. The 7.4 and 7.6 felt hotter than factory and I don't think I'll ever load that bullet that hot with HS6 again. Glad you're a reloader also! Looking forward to seeing your results when you return from SA. Seems to me that reloading is almost as much fun as shooting!

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Why would the groupings spread for 6.6 and 6.8 but then close again for 7.0?

And what do I win?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts