Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the value of used brass? I have been collecting my brass for awhile (9mm, .45, .380) and have it in jugs in my garage. A friend who reloads said he'd trade me ammo for the brass.

What is the equal trade value for lets say a 50 round box of 9mm range ammo? The brass I have still has the primers and hasn't been tumbled. I just pick it up after shooting and throw it in the jug.

Thanks in advance. I'm going to check in a couple of forums to see what everyone's opinions are.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The 9mm is worthless...if you send it to me I guess I can go through the trouble of disposing of it for ya.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 9mm is worthless...if you send it to me I guess I can go through the trouble of disposing of it for ya.....

And given the large amount of lead residue left on the .45 brass, it could be considered hazardous waste material. I have a close friend who is Hazmat certified. We could probably take it off your hands for a small fee.:evil:

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
What is the value of used brass? I have been collecting my brass for awhile (9mm, .45, .380) and have it in jugs in my garage. A friend who reloads said he'd trade me ammo for the brass.

What is the equal trade value for lets say a 50 round box of 9mm range ammo? The brass I have still has the primers and hasn't been tumbled. I just pick it up after shooting and throw it in the jug.

Thanks in advance. I'm going to check in a couple of forums to see what everyone's opinions are.
If you check on Gunbroker you'll find many people selling once-fired brass of various calibers. You might get an idea what it's worth from that.

I just went to gunbroker to check out of curiousity, and the page is down. But if you go to this site:

Once Fired Brass - ReloadersAuction.com, reloading, shooting, online auction

You can see toward the bottom of the page what people are *getting* (not asking) for once-fired brass. In one instance, there's a bid of $16 for 500 cases of once-fired .45 ACP brass. The brass is polished but doesn't appear to be de-primed.

In another auction, there's a bid of $60 for 1000 .45ACP, all the same headstamp, polished but not deprimed or belled.

I didn't look for much more, but that may give you a start on thinking what it may be worth. In the end, it's worth what your friend will "pay" for it.

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
I have sold once fired .45ACP brass, dirty and still primed for $0.045/case.

Most reloaders I have met like to clean and deprime them selves.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
They are worth every penny that you can get for them. You can ask $.06 each for separated brass, but if you get $.03 you'll be lucky.
I would hesitate to shoot somebody else's handloads, if he makes a mistake and double loads one and it makes a kaboom that destroys your gun and or worse, what recourse do you take? Handloads are very personal to me, like a toothbrush; I won't share mine with you and will not use yours.

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And given the large amount of lead residue left on the .45 brass, it could be considered hazardous waste material. I have a close friend who is Hazmat certified. We could probably take it off your hands for a small fee.:evil:
I'm a retired Firefighter w/ Hazmat training. I'll just put on my hazmat suit when I pick up the brass after shooting. Works great but the washdown station is a bitch! :D

Thanks for the offer!

Looks like I'll just see what he has to offer. I don't reload and would be willing to trade for a box or 2 of ammo. Maybe I'll just spend some time shooting his AR!! (I'll wait for the offer first). The next choice would be to have him teach me how to reload. Great - another hobby! My wife can't wait!

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are worth every penny that you can get for them. You can ask $.06 each for separated brass, but if you get $.03 you'll be lucky.
I would hesitate to shoot somebody else's handloads, if he makes a mistake and double loads one and it makes a kaboom that destroys your gun and or worse, what recourse do you take? Handloads are very personal to me, like a toothbrush; I won't share mine with you and will not use yours.
I appreciate the advice. He's a close friend, current Firefighter & Police Reserve. Guess if you can't trust the LEO's, who can you? Don't worry, I won't use his toothbrush!

I have another friend who trades his brass in somewhere for manufactured loads (not reloads). I'll check with him on deals!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts