Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone on another site warned me about the V-10 porting making the front sight useless due to the porting being behind the front sight. He said that after one clip, the front sight would become sooted up and black on the V-10 XD9 he used to own.

Anyone else have this problem?

The first upgrade I plan on doing to mine is a set of Truglo TFO sights. Would this help if the problem does exist? My XD40 V-10 is currently wrapped up under the tree and I didn't get a chance to shoot it before the wife went wrap crazy and don't know if mine does it or not.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I cannot speak from experience but you may want to contact board member [TASF]Overkill. He Carries a V-10, not sure what sights he has installed on it though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, if you're at the range I'd just bring a small rag with some solvent on it and wipe as needed. If you're at home or carrying, hopefully it won't matter after 10 rounds anyway. Small price to pay for the porting IMO... :D

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
I have the 9mm V-10, ported.

It really depends on how dirty the ammo is that your shooting. For me, wolf ammo is super dirty, after about 100 rounds, the front sight is black.

With WWB, it takes about 400 rounds for the sight to turn black all the way. What did not help was the factory sights had the white dot recessed into the sight post. Dirt goes in and is hard to remove. Had to use a wet Q-tip to clean it out.

Cheap fix for me was to fill in the front sight with glow in the dark glue, and in such a manner that the glue protrudes out from the sight post. This makes it possible to clean the sight off with just a quick wipe of the thumb every couple of mag's. I

f you want the glue out for any reason, just stick a pin into it a little way and ttilt the pin, that breaks the glues adhesion and it falls right out.

I have accidently dropped :oops: the gun a few times and the glue dot has stayed in there, matter of fact, the current dot has been in there about a year now, still glows real nice.

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
.40 V-10 here...and yes, front site gets sooted up rather quickly.

That super-glue idea is interesting though, will have to give it a shot.

It doesn't bother me much though, as I don't find myself looking for the dots, but lining up the sites/posts...yet...

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
My ported Taurus doesn't have white on the sites at all so there is no problem. They do get gunked up though every range trip. Takes a good Q-tip scrubbing. I don't think there is anything to be worried about ported barrels as long as you clean everything once you're done. Or if you're sensitive to noise :). And I don't foresee you needing to shoot more than one full mag in a defensive situation so what's it matter if it gets dirty after one mag? Even if the white is covered up, the site isn't useless.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have an XD40 V10. With WWB the front sight is dirtier than I want it to be after about 100 rounds. I PMed Overkill about it and he suggested a set of night sights. With night sights, or at least mepros, you can just wipe it off with your thumb and go back to shooting. For now, I just take some solvent and a qtip or something similar to the range with me to clean it out the best I can as needed. The dot in my front sight did not hold up well to all the solvent and fell out after 1500 or so rounds, but a toothpic and some white Testor's paint made that an easy fix.

jonas

·
Registered
37 Posts
tec said:
I have the 9mm V-10, ported.

I have accidently dropped :oops: the gun a few times and the glue dot has stayed in there, matter of fact, the current dot has been in there about a year now, still glows real nice.

:)
Geez, why did I spend money on night sights! :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
mr24shoe said:
.40 V-10 here...and yes, front site gets sooted up rather quickly.

That super-glue idea is interesting though, will have to give it a shot.

It doesn't bother me much though, as I don't find myself looking for the dots, but lining up the sites/posts...yet...
Same here, my XD9 V10's front sight goes gray after a few mags of any kind of ammo. I don't notice it because I am lining up sights not the dots. They are there, but it's not a primary point of reference when I am shooting. I usually shoot outdoors in sunlight so dots or no dots, I just shoot. 8)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. That's just what I was looking for. I clean my guns up after each time I have a shooting session and if it takes a couple hundred rounds for it to soot up, then that's just fine. I thought the one clip thing was a bit rediculous, but thought I'd check.

I can't wait to unwrap it and start shooting it. I might be AWOL after lunch on Christmas :wink:

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
[quote="hobocircus] ........ I usually shoot outdoors in sunlight so dots or no dots, I just shoot. 8)[/quote]

:p braggart , "I shoot outdoor in the sunlight" :p

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
tec said:
[quote="hobocircus] ........ I usually shoot outdoors in sunlight so dots or no dots, I just shoot. 8)

:p braggart , "I shoot outdoor in the sunlight" :p[/quote]

and another minor point :eek:

magazine ^

clip ^

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I get it, :wink: Guess I'll get y'all's lingo once I've been around here for a little while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got the v-10 40 and the I have the same problem. And I want to purchase the TFO"S and was wondering if they too will get all fudded up. But! they look like they are longer and will be farther back and miss all the crud coming out of the ports. I got about 12,000 rounds through the ol trustey XD and the slide is stained so you can see were all the crud is touching down looks to me like the TFO"S will be free and clear of the crud. :wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
tec said:
Cheap fix for me was to fill in the front sight with glow in the dark glue, and in such a manner that the glue protrudes out from the sight post. This makes it possible to clean the sight off with just a quick wipe of the thumb every couple of mag's. :)
What brand of "glow in the dark" glue do you use?

Don't believe I've ever come across any....but the I lead a very sheltered life. :roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts