Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am registered for a class through SaferUSA here in Illinois and had a couple questions. Once the course is complete, is all the information provided to actually get together everything you need to send off to Utah? What is the fee for the actual license? How long of a turn around should I expect to actually get the license? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Are you sure that it isn't included with the class you are taking? The places around here that I've seen do it, take care of all that for you and it's built into the price of the class.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am registered for a class through SaferUSA here in Illinois and had a couple questions. Once the course is complete, is all the information provided to actually get together everything you need to send off to Utah? What is the fee for the actual license? How long of a turn around should I expect to actually get the license? Thanks.
It may be too late...

Utah recently enacted a law only allowing issue of out of state Concealed Handgun Licenses if the applicant already has a similar permit in his or her home state. Since Illinois doesn't issue concealed carry you won't have any means of getting a non-resident Utah permit.

Utah S.B. 36, H.B. 214 and 1st Substitute H.B. 257.

BEGINNING MAY 10TH, applicant must provide proof of a current home state concealed firearm permit upon application for the Utah concealed firearm permit.​

·
Registered
61 Posts
It may be too late...

Utah recently enacted a law only allowing issue of out of state Concealed Handgun Licenses if the applicant already has a similar permit in his or her home state. Since Illinois doesn't issue concealed carry you won't have any means of getting a non-resident Utah permit.

Utah S.B. 36, H.B. 214 and 1st Substitute H.B. 257.

BEGINNING MAY 10TH, applicant must provide proof of a current home state concealed firearm permit upon application for the Utah concealed firearm permit.​
I was thinking that too but I think it only applies if your state has a CCW permit system in place. Since Illinois doesn't, I think he is still eligible.

One major change in the new law is regarding some non-resident applicants for the Utah concealed firearm permit. If a non-resident applicant is from a state that either has a formal reciprocity agreement with Utah or recognizes the Utah concealed firearm permit, the applicant must hold and provide proof of a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the applicant’s state of residency upon application for the Utah concealed firearm permit. This change will not affect those applicants who reside in a state that does not have formal reciprocity or recognition with Utah, i.e. California, New York, Kansas, etc. Renewal applications will be under this new requirement starting January 1, 2012.
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/BCINewsletterApril2011.pdf

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not true on the "similar CCW system". The state needs to recognize or have reciprocity with Utah (or vice versa) for that new Non-resident statute to apply.
For instance CA has a CCW system and in some counties is "Shall Issue". However, they recognize no other states permits so i can still apply for a non-resident CCW even though i don't have a CA CCW.
My class did not include the Utah fees, postage, or passport photos.
I made my own passport photos at Passport photos for free - ePassportPhoto.com
and printed them at Walgreens for $.11
I'm at 51 days from the day they cashed my check. If i don't hear anything by day 61 then i will call them up.
I'm still worried that at day 59 i'll get a letter stating i need to resubmit my fingerprints.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not true on the "similar CCW system". The state needs to recognize or have reciprocity with Utah (or vice versa) for that new Non-resident statute to apply.
For instance CA has a CCW system and in some counties is "Shall Issue". However, they recognize no other states permits so i can still apply for a non-resident CCW even though i don't have a CA CCW.
I'm at 51 days from the day they cashed my check. If i don't hear anything by day 61 then i will call them up.
I'm still worried that at day 59 i'll get a letter stating i need to resubmit my fingerprints.
Yep you got it. I found a pdf of the law after I said that. Thanks for clearing that up!

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
What about renewals? I already have my Utah license and it is coming up for renewal soon. If I don't have my TX license current will I not be able to renew my Utah?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Since Illinois has no CCW, you can apply for and be recognized under the NEW Utah law.
I was going to take the class at Gander Mountain, however, I do not travel enough to have any benefit from the Utah CCW. My class was $150 and you would later send in the paperwork and the fee of $65 for the permit.
I have a friend that is waiting 37 days so far.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Born2Lose said:
So let me get this straight. You live in ca. Don't have a ca issued ccw. Got/applied for a utah ccw. And can use that to get a non-resident ccw based on having an out of state ccw? No way the ca system has that big of a loophole?!?!

·
Registered
61 Posts
So let me get this straight. You live in ca. Don't have a ca issued ccw. Got/applied for a utah ccw. And can use that to get a non-resident ccw based on having an out of state ccw? No way the ca system has that big of a loophole?!?!
Although he can get a non-resident permit from another state, CA does not recognize any other state's permit. He would not be allowed to carry concealed in CA with the non-resident permit. He can however travel outside of CA and be able to carry where that non-resident permit is recognized.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
thecoldone06 said:
Although he can get a non-resident permit from another state, CA does not recognize any other state's permit. He would not be allowed to carry concealed in CA with the non-resident permit. He can however travel outside of CA and be able to carry where that non-resident permit is recognized.
Okay, that's what I thought. California doesn't recognize anybody else's but their own. Hopefully that nationwide carried bill will pass and everyone can carry everywhere!!!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I live in this stupid state & have had my Utah NR CCW for a little over a year. It helps when I go on the road, but obviously not here. a little over 2m once the papers & prints went in. I hope they still renew.
DOn;t hold your breath on a national ccw. The liberal states will throw up all sorts of road blocks on that one. Hell, you don;t even have too obey Federal laws now. Look at the "sanctuary city" BS.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Okay, that's what I thought. California doesn't recognize anybody else's but their own. Hopefully that nationwide carried bill will pass and everyone can carry everywhere!!!
I live in this stupid state & have had my Utah NR CCW for a little over a year. It helps when I go on the road, but obviously not here. a little over 2m once the papers & prints went in. I hope they still renew.
DOn;t hold your breath on a national ccw. The liberal states will throw up all sorts of road blocks on that one. Hell, you don;t even have too obey Federal laws now. Look at the "sanctuary city" BS.
Be careful what you wish for. I don't want to hijack the thread, but do some research on this first. Yes, being able to carry in every state would be great, but then what happens? The feds run the system and slow start tacking on additional requirements to gun ownership. Remember, CC is not a right like ownership. It's more of a privilege, like driving. So guess what happens when states don't agree with new CC mandates issued by the feds, the feds start withholding funding. We've seen this before with the federal highway dollars.

It's not that far fetched to think that more highway dollars would be at stake, think interstate commerce. The states will have to crawl up to the teat for another sip of the government milk. There's a better way to go about this than implementing a federal system. Look at all of our other federal programs, do we really need another?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.