Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally did it, I converted my wifes XD to an open class gun. Due to her being a new shooter and having alot of problems with her vision and getting a properly focused sight picture, I decided to find a way to mount an optical sight on her XD. Sure, she will be shooting a minor PF and she probably wont reach B class with that being so, but she will continue to shoot with more confidence and a better learning curve. In the future I may have a comp built and fitted to a threaded barrel as alot of glock shooters do and then load her 9mm up to major PF.

Anyways...on with the pictures...

The sight is a Doctor Optic 7.5 MOA dot with a Sig P226 sight base $389.00
The Mag extensions are from Pistol-Gear and accually allow (3) extra rounds for a total of 18+1.
The sight base had to be fit to the XD dovetail, it DID NOT slide right in, I removed .012 from the dovetail and then it was still a press fit.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Nice looking. If she puts all the hits in the "A" zone, minor PF doesn't matter. BarSto might be able to fix you up with a 5" ported barrel. Believe they will even thread it for a comp. They also have mag wells.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That sight is very interesting.

http://www.docteropticsusa.com/ds-handgun.php

But how do you turn it on? Must you press a button?
According to the company web site, the sight has battery save mode, so I assume that it switches off after period of time.

Also the web site shows two regular models and two Law Enforcement models. Do you know the difference? (I would like to know.)

- Mike

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no switch to turn it off, it comes with a snap locking cover that when instaled over the sight, blocks out the light sensor and puts it in power save mode. I guess it never really shuts off, it came with a lithium battery and I have talked to others who say the battery is good for 1 year or more. The website claims 3 years but we will change it yearly.

We have not shot it yet to find out about shot recovery but I will be sighting it in today and she will shoot it in league this evening. I see quite a few of these sights mounted on other race type guns so sight aquisition should be pretty fast. It would be alot better with a comp on the end of the barrel to keep the gun flatter. That may come in the future...

As far as the law enforcement models, I have no idea. The sight is rated for up to 500 G's of recoil.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Old School said:
I may be wrong, but it looks like TRUGRIP.
It looks like grip tape and trugrip are the same materials... grip tape is just used on skateboards etc...

Is the trugrip cut to fit for different types of guns?

·
Registered
875 Posts
This has to be the first XD shot in open on purpose. Once you get a Comp on there you will really be in business.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Ichy,

wanna make it a V10 ported style?

we can spend some time in the shop and get that worked out some weekend.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes the Grip is covered in Trugrip and yes its AWESOME.
V-10??? I dunno, might be better with a comp on the END of the barrel to maximize downward thrust, we could always make a comp though. I used to be a plastic injection mold maker so I know my way around the shop, just dont have a mill at home.

Range report....Well the gun shot awesome, I think I did a decent job of exposing the true potentials of accuracy in the gun. I also shot my Sig 229 .40 to compare. Not really a fair comparison because the Sig is using iron sights and the XD now has the Doctors. Either way, I had a few fliers with the Sig. Shot recovery was close to the same as iron sights except as soon as the dot hit the target...BAM!. So yes, shot recovery was a bit quicker. Should be ALOT quicker with a comp on the gun.

Here are the pics...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
OK, I've decided that I'm ok UNTIL she starts beating me. Then I will start doing dry fire practice and running more rounds through the gun. Until then, I'll just relax and enjoy the game.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We were going to but I have to work :cry:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i'm not going. I'm going to be in W Va enjoying some of those wonderful twisty mountain roads on my motorcycle, drifting down the potomoc river on a tube, maybe catch the fireworks in DC. Packing the truck tonight.

·
Registered
245 Posts
mcone said:
...Also the web site shows two regular models and two Law Enforcement models. Do you know the difference? (I would like to know.)

- Mike
And the answer from Doctor Optics is:

Dear Mike,

All the law enforcement is waterproof. The civilian version is water resistant.

I would recommend the civilian 7.0 MOA.

Best regards,
Diane Felsenfeld
E-mail: [email protected]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts