Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you shoot in either of these or maybe another I don't know about? (I'm new to handguns)
How do you like it? What's your oppinion of which might be better for a first timer?
Thinking about eventually getting an XD9 Tactical. I'm guessing that I could use that in pretty-much any competition? Would an XD40 be better? Much advantage to having a Tactical vs Service model?
Thanks guys.
TH

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I shoot uspsa production. It's fun. The key to having fun at it is not to be competetive at first, just be safe. Most clubs have cliques of the old timers but don't let it get to you. You will find most people will support and encourage you and be more than happy to answer your questions. If you want to ease your fears a little, go to a match and leave the gun at home. Just go and watch for a bit and get a feel for how your club runs things and see if it will be a fit for you and your personality. If not, there are bound to be other clubs nearby that you can shoot with.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I purchased my XD9 Tac in July and started shooting USPSA in August. I looked at both IDPA and USPSA and for me it came down to locations of matches and when they held them. I will say that I like the fact that USPSA doesn't get bogged down in shooting from concealed carry. It may be good practice but this is a game and to me it gets in the way of the fun. The XD9 is a great gun for the Production class.

The IDPA and USPSA follow different rules and one may appeal to you more than the other.

If you have the opportunity go check out a match from each. I didn't even have my gun yet when I went to watch. They'll be glad to have you and you'll learn something as well.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Before you judge the matches, actually go to them both, why not shoot booth. I hate IDPA but its rounds down range so I consider it practice for USPSA.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Welcome to the board fellow michagander :D
Where are you in Mi?
I have only found uspsa matches near me so thats what I shoot if your near grand rapids or lansing I have an extra xd service if you need to barrow or try one out.
I shoot 40 cal and will soon have three xd's and even sell you some nice reloads or loan some mags if you need.I will be at www.sksc.org this saterday monthly club match.
Tac has a little better sight radius but I have been shooting my sub compact because it has a trigger job
Service is better suited for carry and comp.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I shoot USPSA and I have become quite and addict. IDPA is centered more around CCW type of gaming and USPSA is more about shooting LOTS of rounds for speed and accuracy, there is nothing more fun than shooting a 32 round count stage.
If you enjoy shooting then give one or both a try, you will not regret doing so. Both organizations offer competition in production catagories to meet everyone skill level.
If I were you, I would buy a Tactical for use in either.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i shoot IDPA.

just to let you know (this is a common dilusion), IDPA DOES NOT teach you defense tactics, or how to handle defense situations "properly".

IDPA DOES teach you weapons proficiency, i.e. it helps you learn to be more fluid in a high stress situation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
R/T Performance said:
Welcome to the board fellow michagander :D
Where are you in Mi?
I have only found uspsa matches near me so thats what I shoot if your near grand rapids or lansing I have an extra xd service if you need to barrow or try one out.
I shoot 40 cal and will soon have three xd's and even sell you some nice reloads or loan some mags if you need.I will be at www.sksc.org this saterday monthly club match.
Tac has a little better sight radius but I have been shooting my sub compact because it has a trigger job
Service is better suited for carry and comp.
Awe, shucks! I have plans for this weekend already. I live in Zeeland and work in Allegan. Not far from Dorr At All! Darn. Wish I could go check it out. Thanks for the invite though.
I really appreciate your generous offers. I just might have to take you up on it some time.
Thanks for all the great info guys!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've been to 2 IDPA matches. Very fun. I want to get my teeth wet with IDPA first and then try USPSA. Right now there are more opportunies to shoot in my area than what I have time for. I shoot my SC with a leather holster under an untucked T-shirt since its "suppose to be CCW" simulation. But have you noticed that most guns are service or 1911 sized and not to many compacts? Also, I know some of these guys don't really wear a tactical vest for everyday concealment, but oh well.

I would go to an IDPA event with the "intent" to watch, but be ready to shoot! Most of the guys in my club were very encouraging and helpful to new shooters even to the extent of loaning out extra holsters and magazines.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I live and work just off 96 and have a shooting spot in my yard.So if you have any time during the week.You could stop in and pop off a few.
Third saturday off every month is dorr's uspsa match last a couple hours and they have a nice range.I haven't found any idpa around here.Mount pleasant is the closest and I believe their is some in Indiana

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have been shooting USPSA matches for about 10 years now, and my oppinion would be buy the 9mm if you are not going to reload, or 40S&W if you are. If you go with the 40 you could also shoot Limited, and Limited-10 and score major power factor.
I just started shooting Production this year and have had a ball. I have been using a XD Tactical in 40S&W.
You just need to rember if you hear some twit tell that you can't be compitive with this gun or that gun because it only holds 10 rounds,or dosen't have a red dot scope, that USPSA has 5 divisons, and each division has 6 class. You shoot against people in your division and class. For the most part you will not find a better bunch of people to shoot with or just hang out with. Most IPSC shooters are more then willing to take you under their wing,and show you all their toys, let you try them, and just help out a new guy. You can go to the USPSA website at www.uspsa.org and check out the rules and find a club in your area.
So buy one of them, and get out there and shoot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I started shooting for fun competition I went to both IDPA and USPSA. The IDPA people leaned (significantly) towards the survivalist group with many conversations about how big a hole such and such ammo would make and how much better head shots were than torso shots. I got tired of all the rhetoric by the second match and haven't been back. It was pretty creepy. By contrast the USPSA crowd tended (significantly) towards the sporting side of things, were much more engaging and inclusive into their club and generally a very positive and fun group. I notice immediatly how much more they seemed to enjoy each other and if someone needed something they would bend over backwards to assist. My son (15) is now shooting as a Junior and it is a great group of people he is around. Man I love the USPSA!

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I shoot both and like both. Each has its merrits. If you shoot the XD in USPSA Production, you can shoot it in IDPA with the same gear, and the gear worn on the body in the same location. In IDPA the XD is in ESP Division which only requires minor power factor ammo, the same as USPSA Production. In USPSA, you need atleast 5 mags on your body. In IDPA you only need three mags for any stage. Like stated above, if you do not intend on reloading, get the 9mm, unless your filthy rich, the get one of each :D .
Now go buy one and get to shooootin!!

You might also want to consider buying the Matt Burkett shooting videos. His series covers both USPSA and IDPA techniques. Very good vids.
www.burkettvideo.com

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
JD McDorce said:
For clarity, are you talking about 1 in the gun and 4 on the belt at the start (5 total) or 1 in the gun and 5 on the belt at the start (6 total)?
Thats 5 on the belt. I used to look at the stage and think I only need X number of mags for this. But after fumbling a few reloads and having to dump mags on malfunctions, I figured out that mags in the range bag ain't worth much when you still have targets to shoot. Just not right having to go hammer down and holster before the end of the stage. :(

JD McDorce said:
One of these days, just for the fun-factor, I should shoot my XD9 Tactical in Limited - trading 1 or 2 less reloads for being scored as Minor. :lol:
I do this during the winter months when we move to the indoor range. Load 40 mags with 9mm, put a pearce +2 base on and go play hoser! :D

Reactions: Tallmaan84

·
Registered
209 Posts
My wife and I just started shooting IDPA. Its a lot of fun and does teach you decent shooting skills which civilians have a hard to learning at normal ranges (shooting on the move, shooting from cover, fast reloading etc.) It is not a substitute for real tactical/practical training though.

My wife had a pretty good analogy for IDPA shooting. She said "Going to the gun range is like going to a golf driving range, where IDPA shooting is like actually hitting the golf course. The ranges may help hone your basic skills, but its not even close to being on a real course."

Imagine my pride when my wife makes a good sports analogy!! :)

Once the wife and I get better at IDPA shooting, we will likely give the other comps a try as well.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
R Dub said:
JD McDorce said:
For clarity, are you talking about 1 in the gun and 4 on the belt at the start (5 total) or 1 in the gun and 5 on the belt at the start (6 total)?
Thats 5 on the belt. I used to look at the stage and think I only need X number of mags for this. But after fumbling a few reloads and having to dump mags on malfunctions, I figured out that mags in the range bag ain't worth much when you still have targets to shoot. Just not right having to go hammer down and holster before the end of the stage. :(

JD McDorce said:
One of these days, just for the fun-factor, I should shoot my XD9 Tactical in Limited - trading 1 or 2 less reloads for being scored as Minor. :lol:
I do this during the winter months when we move to the indoor range. Load 40 mags with 9mm, put a pearce +2 base on and go play hoser! :D
Ive been shooting L-10 and I carry 4 mags on the belt and sometimes an extra in the pocket. It has happened that while running from one target group to another, a mag has found its way out and to the ground. At the TN sectional, I accidently hit my slide lock and thought I had a magazine malfuntion and did a couple of eextra reloads. Most times 3 on the belt will get it done but I wouldnt fault someone for carrying a spare :wink: .

·
Registered
14 Posts
ichy_trigger said:
Ive been shooting L-10 and I carry 4 mags on the belt and sometimes an extra in the pocket. It has happened that while running from one target group to another, a mag has found its way out and to the ground. At the TN sectional, I accidently hit my slide lock and thought I had a magazine malfuntion and did a couple of eextra reloads. Most times 3 on the belt will get it done but I wouldnt fault someone for carrying a spare :wink: .
a couple more reasons, 1) if you're a bad shot the extra rounds come in handy :)(altho, at a certain point you should just take the miss and go on with your stage, 2) magazine management makes you a better shooter...unlike IDPA you can drop a magazine with ammo in it. so reloading between far away targets saves you time on your score.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Try this one out. The guy drawing up your courses shoots a wheelgun, and he dosen't want to do a standing reload, but who dose, so he draws up a 30 round stage, 5 arays at 6 rounds per. That looks like 4 reloads. Now lets just say you drop one mag when you were running between positions, and fumble a reload droping one in the sand, and now starting with 6 mag on your belt dosen't sound like a bad idea anymore. :shock:

I start with 6 on my belt and 1 in the gun(70 rds in mags + 1 in the chamber) when I shoot Production, and Limited-10, and 4 mags no the belt for Limited but those hold 19 or 20. I don't have to go to that #6 mag often, but needing it once and it not being there would suck. :cry:

When I'm planing on how I will shoot a stage I don't count the total rounds in the stage, I count how many reloads I will need to finish. I may look for ways to use up the 10 rounds in the mag, like picking up a target in another aray that I can see, but most times it's just shoot the 3 or 4 targets, and then just reload everytime you have to move just like the old days before Hi-Caps.

As far as 32 rd. max courses go I have shot a few club level matches that had stages that pushed 40+ rounds, and I have heard of fun shoots with stages creeping up on 100 rounds in one stage :shock: .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts