Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Firearm Blog:

Marine Corps Times reports ...
In an emailed response to Marine Corps Times’ questions, officials at MARCORSYSCOM said the holster was put through rigorous safety tests in July by Marines assigned to Quantico’s Weapons Training Battalion. After giving the holster to Marines of varied pistol-shooting abilities, from expert to novice, Weapons Training Battalion concluded the SERPA holster is safe for issue, according to MARCORSYSCOM.
“We did not see a trigger-hooking problem,” officials said. “We found the SERPA design allowed natural positioning of the trigger finger during the draw so that it was straight and off the trigger when drawn. … Weapons Training Battalion, our premier weapons trainers, oversaw the evaluation of the holsters and no safety concerns were identified by the users or the observers of the evaluation.”

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From personal experience, I've never had an issue with mine either. Keeps my trigger finger straight along the slide, where it is supposed to be when drawing.

"Keep your finger off of the trigger until your sights are on the target."

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
Well, golly geee...you don't think that it's because they're using a DA/SA pistol with the safety applied, do ya?

Give it time...somebody's gonna forget to safe their weapon before holstering it, likely forgetting to decock it as well...and they'll find out it can, in fact, happen.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Everyone knows those ND things only happen with Glock's, and they only happen to experts who speak to kids at school ;)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Everyone knows those ND things only happen with Glock's, and they only happen to experts who speak to kids at school ;)
That video never gets old.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I like the one of the fed that shoots himself in the butt better....

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
What is "Trigger hooking"?

I'd be more concerned with breaking the serpa or having debris lodged into the trigger guard release mechanism. I'm on my 3rd serpa now.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Well, golly geee...you don't think that it's because they're using a DA/SA pistol with the safety applied, do ya?

Give it time...somebody's gonna forget to safe their weapon before holstering it, likely forgetting to decock it as well...and they'll find out it can, in fact, happen.
It's weird...when you follow 4 safety rules, there are never negligent discharges. (yeah, I used bold and italics.)

When you start breaking safety rules, you get negligent discharges and people get hurt/killed, and the equipment gets blamed. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Wasn't here a vid posted of a guy using a sepra that shot himself in the leg while drawing. It's also about having to push something right where the trigger is so that you can draw the gun.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Wasn't here a vid posted of a guy using a sepra that shot himself in the leg while drawing. It's also about having to push something right where the trigger is so that you can draw the gun.
he training scarred that entire thing. He first practiced on a 5.11 thumbdrive holster and got the muscle memory down to push down on the 5.11s release mechanism. Unfortunately he swapped to the Serpa for the live fire and had the muscle memory to push down on the non existent thumbdrive...pretty much the same motion to deactivate a 1911's thumb safety. So he had deactivated a 1911s thumb safety before he even drew the gun. The rest is history. I dont blame that incident on the holster, just bad training scars.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I personally don't like the idea of putting pressure with your trigger finger in the exact area the trigger is so that you can draw your gun. Accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I personally don't like the idea of putting pressure with your trigger finger in the exact area the trigger is so that you can draw your gun. Accident waiting to happen.
On my serpa, the lever lays my finger above the trigger, exactly where I hold it when I don't intend to shoot.

When did they make the serpa so that your finger would fall on the trigger when you draw? Was it one of the earlier ones? I think mine's less than a year old.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
cce1302 "exactly" was a bad choice. In the area is better.

·
Registered
216 Posts
On my serpa, the lever lays my finger above the trigger, exactly where I hold it when I don't intend to shoot.

When did they make the serpa so that your finger would fall on the trigger when you draw? Was it one of the earlier ones? I think mine's less than a year old.
You are supposed to use the pad of your trigger finger to release the lock on the Serpa.

The problem is with people that bend their finger and use the tip of the trigger finger to release the lock. This finger position makes it easy for the finger to move into the trigger guarf anc catch the trigger.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'd take a Serpa over the Green Nylon holsters we were issued in the 80s and 90's.

The "trigger hook" issue just wouldn't be that big of a deal to me. I'd rather have strong retention. My only concern is the lock button seizing up w/accumulated dust/debris. If they resolve that issue it would be a good service holster.

Although my favorite was the old M7 Tanker Holster. Cross chest draw. That was back when Alice gear was just a belt, a couple canteens, and a few mag pouches tho.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts