Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a while now for an XD or XDm .45.

Is there a certain round count at which things start to wear out or not work as well anymore?

I may end up buying new or I may end up getting used, I am just trying my hardest to get all of the correct information before making any decision.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have heard things start to wear a around 30,000. But a free trip to SA and you are still good to go!

·
Registered
192 Posts
In my opinion, I wouldn't buy a used one, unless it was $300 or less after all fees/taxes ect. I think if you look around, you can get a new one for for low $400's. I typically won't buy anything used for more than 75% of new cost. 80% of the guns I've bought were used and purchased at an average of 60-65% of a new model.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard things start to wear a around 30,000. But a free trip to SA and you are still good to go!
Is the warranty still good after a transfer?
In my opinion, I wouldn't buy a used one, unless it was $300 or less after all fees/taxes ect. I think if you look around, you can get a new one for for low $400's. I typically won't buy anything used for more than 75% of new cost. 80% of the guns I've bought were used and purchased at an average of 60-65% of a new model.
The one that I am looking at has lots of upgrades including grip work, match barrel and a trigger job. So I am unsure of the "cost" except for the initial gun price and the total of the aftermarket parts/install.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one and have only bought used ones from private parties here in Phoenix. The XD45 has only been out for 5 years and, unless somebody shoots in competition or goes to the range once a week, you will find most of them in excellent condition and you can tell by inspection whether the pistol is in good shape with a reasonably low round count. The XDMs have only been out 2 years (I think) so there's even better chances of getting a good used one.

What you pay for one depends on the condition and the supply and demand in your area.

Here in Phoenix I've paid as little as $400 for an XD45 4" service and as little as $450 for a 5" tactical. And they all had the case and all the accessories

The obvious advantage of buying a used one is no tax and no paperwork (other than getting a receipt).

The disadvantage is that the warranty is not transferable from the original owner:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/assets/downloads/warranty.pdf

Never bothered me though. If the gun works when you get it, it'll probably keep working.

If you are concerned about the age of a prospective XD45 purchase you can check the serial number against the registry before you buy it:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-45acp-discussion-room/108206-what-year-my-xd.html

Looks like there are a couple of gun classifieds in your area:

MOGO! Missouri Gun Owners - Index

Missouri Online Gun Classifieds

With the upgrades you listed, you'll probably be looking at a few hundred more than the average used XD.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Here in MO you still have paperwork if you buy from someone who wants to do it right and you still have taxes if you buy from a dealer. If you "face-to-face" here in MO it is a misdemeanor if the cops find out in the first six months.

The XD warranty is not technically transferable but I have yet to see SA deny anyone with a legit problem. As long as the owner didn't booger it up ( I.E. if it's a normal mech failure/wear ) with some sort of mod, SA covers it.

As far as a round count, I've been here for almost six years and I haven't found any round count pattern, XDs might break once and a while like any other gun but as far as wearing out, it just doesn't seem to happen.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Is the warranty still good after a transfer?

The one that I am looking at has lots of upgrades including grip work, match barrel and a trigger job. So I am unsure of the "cost" except for the initial gun price and the total of the aftermarket parts/install.
In this instance SA MIGHT not cover the modified frame, barrel or trigger parts. However the slide and all the unmodified parts would very likely be covered.

Used vs new prices are up to you, I however wouldn't hesitate to buy a used XD I wanted at a price I liked.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Go for an XDm45 over the XD45. Search "mag problem" here and see why. Good chance a used XD45 has this issue, which is why they are getting rid of it.

CX

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I recently bought a 4 year old XDc 45 it was practically brand new. Maybe a few hundred rounds through it judging by its condition. If you look around, might be able to find a good deal..

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Go for an XDm45 over the XD45. Search "mag problem" here and see why. Good chance a used XD45 has this issue, which is why they are getting rid of it.

CX
Where did you hear this bilge-water?

·
Registered
192 Posts
If this is the same work that I wanted done, then that would change my thinking, since it saves you a lot of time not having to get the mods done yourself. I am cheap, but also impatient and lazy. In a case like this, I would probly go up to as high as 80-85% of the cost of buying all new and having the mods done myself.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Here in MO you still have paperwork if you buy from someone who wants to do it right and you still have taxes if you buy from a dealer. If you "face-to-face" here in MO it is a misdemeanor if the cops find out in the first six months.

The XD warranty is not technically transferable but I have yet to see SA deny anyone with a legit problem. As long as the owner didn't booger it up ( I.E. if it's a normal mech failure/wear ) with some sort of mod, SA covers it.

As far as a round count, I've been here for almost six years and I haven't found any round count pattern, XDs might break once and a while like any other gun but as far as wearing out, it just doesn't seem to happen.
No private sales in MO?? That would suck:-?

·
Registered
638 Posts

CX

Where did you hear this bilge-water?

Bilge-water is right.

I've accumulated about 20 used mags from a variety of sources for my 3 XD45s and haven't had a problem with any of them.

And since the XD45 and the XDM45 both use the same 13 rd magazines...???

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
That may or may not be the law, but I can guarantee that people also speed and drink underage... :roll:
Not in Missouri.
Never happens.
The sun always shines, and cow poo doesn't stick to your shoes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought my last 3 guns used. A Glock 33, a Glock 26, and a xd40sc. Never had a problem with either Glock and pick the xd up this week. 425$ otd with original case and goodies, nit bad considering nib here in NC is $550-$600. You can look at a used gun and tell if it wad babied.my xd is flawless to be used. No scratches, no holster wear, not nothing. Hell, its barley got marks on the barrel from being fired. And now days if I can find a like new gun for a good price and feel confident it wad treated right, in game

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
In my opinion, I wouldn't buy a used one,
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one used. These things are the Timexes of the pistol world. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

I bought two new (XD45c, XDm 3.8 40c), and the third (XD9sc) I got used. May have paid a little much, but its in great shape, with TFO night sights, three mags (10, 15, & 16 rd.), three quality holsters, and 250 rds of gold dot ammo for $600. 9mm ammo was in very short supply around here for a LONG time.

Operates flawlessly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts