Springfield XD Forum banner

Used XD45c..how to tell its condition

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  bunk22 
#1 ·
At the local pawn shop where I buy all my guns, they have a used XD45c in the earth tone, it's tan in color. I've been looking for one and this one looks to be in good shape. Of course they don't know how many rounds have been shot through it or its age. What should I look for when looking at this used weapon? I normally by new but if I can get the price down on this one, I might buy it.

#4 ·
One of the things to remember about guns is that a gun that's had even marginal care will easily go 50k to 100k rounds or more so round count and age are less important than how the gun looks. There are lots of 20 year old guns around with low round counts and I've got several 15-20 year old guns with 20-45k rounds that are still shooting tight groups. I think my XD45C looks about the same at 7k rounds as it did at 2k. I'd look at the condition of the feed ramp, barrel, and rails and I'd do a function check and make sure all safeties work. If that all looks good and there is no rust on the slide or user mods you should be good to go. The good thing about buying an XD is that SA will take care of just about any problem you find.

#5 ·
It's got the standard black slide and right now they are asking too much but they will negotiate. They want $460 but I know em, they will come down quite a bit. My guess is 500-1000 rounds through it judging by the above pics.

#6 ·
It's got the standard black slide and right now they are asking too much but they will negotiate. They want $460 but I know em, they will come down quite a bit. My guess is 500-1000 rounds through it judging by the above pics.
500 to 1K rounds....:confused:
Just barely broke in...;)
Buy it if they will give a decent price..
Someone already broke it in for you...

Dirty Rod gave some great input..
Especially on checking the saftey..

#8 ·
At the local pawn shop where I buy all my guns, they have a used XD45c in the earth tone, it's tan in color. I've been looking for one and this one looks to be in good shape. Of course they don't know how many rounds have been shot through it or its age. What should I look for when looking at this used weapon? I normally by new but if I can get the price down on this one, I might buy it.
First thing you can do is check the serial number against this list:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-45acp-discussion-room/108206-what-year-my-xd.html

That tells you approximately when it was manufactured.

XD4s have only been sold in the US for 5 1/5 years you'd be hard pressed to find one that was in any kind of crappy condition.

And I think the compacts came out a bit after the 4" service pistols so they'd be even younger.

I usually look at the overall appearance and cleanliness, look down the barrel to see if it's shiny and smooth, same for the barrel feed ramp - make sure there's no pitting, look at the breech face for condition. I look at the case to see if all the accessories are there. If you see the plastic goodies, the cable lock, the bore brush, the manual and the warranty card, you've propably got one that been well taken care of. AND if you see the little sealed envelope with the test fire casing and date, that's a bonus.

#9 ·
First thing you can do is check the serial number against this list:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-45acp-discussion-room/108206-what-year-my-xd.html

That tells you approximately when it was manufactured.

XD4s have only been sold in the US for 5 1/5 years you'd be hard pressed to find one that was in any kind of crappy condition.

And I think the compacts came out a bit after the 4" service pistols so they'd be even younger.

I usually look at the overall appearance and cleanliness, look down the barrel to see if it's shiny and smooth, same for the barrel feed ramp - make sure there's no pitting, look at the breech face for condition. I look at the case to see if all the accessories are there. If you see the plastic goodies, the cable lock, the bore brush, the manual and the warranty card, you've propably got one that been well taken care of. AND if you see the little sealed envelope with the test fire casing and date, that's a bonus.
Thanks, good info. I've been so busy flying this week (Navy instructor pilot) and I haven't had the chance to go back. I was going to take pics of it broken down but my bet is it might be taken by now. Still itching for a new XDM 45 as well.

#10 ·
Ok, went back today and the gun is still there. It's a bit dirty and my camera phone isn't the best. It was packed as usual but here are two pics I took and it looks to me that it wasn't fired much:

Not reall happy with the price, about $420 out the door. I like that I can intermix my XD9sc and the XD45c holsters and what not. Like the color as well but the XDM 45 is calling my name as well, about $200 more for a new XDM. Had a G21 for 18 years so decided to go with the XD or XDM.

#12 ·
Bunk,

be careful with which holsters you are referring to when stating both sizes of xd's fit the same holster..........not true.

In the CBST - yes, in the black hawk, and bladetech, - the 9 will be very loose, in the C-Tac the same thing.
Yeah, good point. I have a IWB King Tuck that I placed into it and it seemingly fit fine but it was quick.

#13 ·
All my XDs fit all my Kydex holsters just fine.
That pic you posted shows the barrel hood has minimal wear to say the least !!

#14 ·
All my XDs fit all my Kydex holsters just fine.
That pic you posted shows the barrel hood has minimal wear to say the least !!
Yeah, that's what I think too after looking at it again. I'm stuck between this dark earth XDc 45 and an XDM 45.

#15 ·
Went ahead and bought it today, well, put it in layaway as it's supposed to be a b-day gift. It was between a new XD 45, Xdm 45 and the used XDc45. It's the dark earth color and my guess is it has less than a 1000 rounds and the being it was less than the other two, I bought it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.