Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got into .45 ACP and I am currently shooting factory ammo, mostly WWB and Federal Eagle.

Are there commonly available brands of brass cartrige, boxer primed .45 ACP ammo that should be avoided if you intend to reload?

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
In my opinion, the average factory brass is quite good and I've not personally ran across any one brand that has given me issues. I run a variety of it through my XDs (9mm and .45ACP), from Blazer brass to 30+ year old GI, and neither have a problem. I will probably lose them before they "wear out".

·
Registered
455 Posts
Collect all of it:

And what you see is KEY: SORT IT! By headstamp. If possible keep track of how you cycle it, i.e. number of reloads. When reloading keep a note of the brass headstamp with the load data. Different cases (by maker) have slightly different volumes---yeah, yeah, they are all different if you get really picky but trends appear by brand. And there are differences in other ways too: hardness, primer pocket 'tightness', size of flash hole...

This is what I'm about to reload, so it's mostly sorted. There are several 5 gallon buckets out of frame, waiting to be sorted.

Oh, need to mention this: reloading is highly addictive; but you might already have guessed that.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Collect all of it:

And what you see is KEY: SORT IT! By headstamp. If possible keep track of how you cycle it, i.e. number of reloads. When reloading keep a note of the brass headstamp with the load data. Different cases (by maker) have slightly different volumes---yeah, yeah, they are all different if you get really picky but trends appear by brand. And there are differences in other ways too: hardness, primer pocket 'tightness', size of flash hole...

This is what I'm about to reload, so it's mostly sorted. There are several 5 gallon buckets out of frame, waiting to be sorted.

Oh, need to mention this: reloading is highly addictive; but you might already have guessed that.
I'm guessing you buy your plastic boxes at the same place I do: Dollar Tree.

BTW, for anyone looking to find good stuff to store it in, those plastic boxes cost a buck apiece; you can get screw-top and press-fit-top plastic containers for 2 or 3 for a buck.

I've got 15 of those boxes, and probably 3 dozen of the others.

It's a nice way to store stuff because the containers are transparent.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I do not sort my straight walled pistol brass, 9mm, 45ACP etc. Just be careful about tring to decap a berdan primed piece of brass, at best you will break your decap pin and at worst, the stem and sizing button along with it. It's the price we pay for scrounging brass from the range. The only brass you should stay away from is any with crimped primer pockets. I picked up a bunch of TZZ one time and spent quite a while sorting them out. Although I have a Dillon swager but I don't ever do primer pockets in pistol brass. I have way too much of it to bother!

·
Registered
84 Posts
AMERC, TZZ & FC goes in the scrap bucket. I don't usually sort through my range brass, but I had to sort through a few hundred cases to get the FC's with crimped in primer pockets separated from the rest. I spent the time to remove the crimp, but it's hardly worth it. I also agree that S&B is more trouble than it's worth so they share space in the scrap bucket with those noted above.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
my favorite to reload is blazer brass, it seems to be easier to prime then the WWB brass, but i usually only load those two since its pretty much the only thing i buy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts