Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a used xd compact .45 w/4in barrel after my delay from the ncis check.Since rental places force you to buy their overpriced taregt ammo, I just shot the gun and liked it. Looking at trying Federal Hydra Shok 230gr and Remington Golden Saber 185 +P. I like the Golden Sabers 124gr in my 9mm fullsize SW M&P. Are these two good .45acp ammo to try out in the beginning. Have any of you used these and what are your likes and dislikes? Was reading 185gr was better for shorter barrels in different makes. Is this true with the xd compact .45? Any info will help out.

Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
My XD is a 40, but my Kimber Pro is a 45 and i shoot Golden Saber and Ranger T's in 230. Standard velocity heavyweights for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nothing but 230 in my XDc 45 4 inch. GS now, but I am about to run some Gold Dots through to check for reliability (and I anticipate no problems). Range rounds are all 230 FMJ. Never a hiccup, FMJ or GS.
No +P stuff for me, I am comfortable with standard pressure. If I wanted high velocity 185 I would shoot a 40, but I prefer that big fat 230gr 45, it has proven itself and just feels right.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
.45 doesn't really need lighter bullets and higher velocities to perfrom well. Standard pressure 230's are street proven.

As to what to use...what works in someone else's pistol may not work well in yours; you need to try some different brands out and see what works for you, in your gun, in your hands.

And, finally, where to find ammo that is shown to perfrom well:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Scroll down to .45, choose one of the loads listed (they are in no particular order, and you may some are considerably harder to find and/or more expensive than others). Buy a couple of boxes, load them, and shoot them. If it's 100% reliable, and shoots with what you consider acceptible accuracy and control in rapid fire, you've found a good load for you.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Because a particular brand, weight and style of bullet has a reputation (good or bad) in one specific caliber or weight, does not automatically translate to being good/bad in another caliber or weight. Research and judge each as individual. Also consider momentum of the bullet rather than the much quoted muzzle energy. While ft/lb may be a reasonable comparison when dealing with several bullets of the same caliber and weight, ft/lb at pistol achieved velocities does not penetrate. Momentum is what gauges penetration, after considering the reliability and diameter of expansion. After researching a bunch of choices make tentative 1st through 3rd choices and test each in your pistol for reliability and accuracy. Then pick one.
Check the dates of any information. Example, the famed hydrashok is 20 yrs out of date with current bullet technology and is a very poor expander thru material. Good for its time but surpassed now. +P is not a good determinant of performance.
I happen to use HST+p 230gr in 45, HST 180gr in 40SW, HST 125gr in 357SIG, and HST147 in 9mm. Not because it is HST but because 1) it works well in my pistols, 2) has a good reputation, and 3) the price was right. As a plus the FED AM Eagle in similar weights has almost the identical POA/POI relationship for practice ammo when I am not using my reloads.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I carry 230gr GS in mine. But 99% of my shooting at the range is 230gr FMJ or LRN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts