Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone is a subscriber to the USCCA weekly newsletter and or a member of USCCA and what your reviews of this program/membership are?

I saw ads (maybe one on this forum as well) and decided to give the free newsletter subscription a try.

Although I can't recall the exact day I subscribed or validated my email, I have yet to see what I would describe as a routine weekly newsletter.

Rather, I have no less than 8 emails in 4 days that provide snippets of information but usually ends up attempting to get me to become a "paid" member.

I understand it's a business, but frankly, I've never been spammed more in such a short time. Then again, maybe I can't call it spam if I subscribed. My issue is where is the weekly newsletter that's not providing me a link to some brief or other info that ends up reminding me of the benefits of joining.

I'm sure there's some value in the info provided, but as a currently serving 21+ year Army Veteran, I pride myself on situational awareness, common sense, and responsiblity which are all required in the judicious carrying of a weapon (concealed or not).

I'm beginning to think I made a mistake and am leaning to unsubscribing (which will likely result in requests to return...), but would like to hear any forum members' thoughts or experience before I do.

Thx in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
You hit it on the head. I've been a member for a couple of years and I'm not renewing in Aug. You've probably read lots of complaints on the forum about the amount of Spam although an Outlook rule takes care of that for me.

At times there are good discussions around training, gear, deployment methods, etc and there are a few S.I. and other instructors on there that are really good. That said, some days there are more posts about politics and other stuff than concealed carry related topics.

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are others.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I joined in january thinking that it would be a good site to go to for ccw info. There is a lot of good info but I am constantly being bombarded with e-mails to look at and join other businesses that are the "editors" friend.

With my membership I was supposed to get 100's of dollars of free ccw gear to try. As it turned out you get your name added to a hopper and the "chance" to win free gear. They did refund some of the membership fee but I WILL NOT RENEW.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Their newsletters have lotsa good info. Archives have tons of stuff too. I am in the silver because I don't need a magazine that I can read online. Lots of extra stuff from them for marketing but I can ignore that easy enough.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been a Silver member for amost 2 years. My only complaint is that Tim Schmidt, the CEO, is well meaning, but he does overstep his position once in awhile by promoting stuff that has nothing to do with CCW. Otherwise, it's been well worth the money, and I recommend them. JimJ

·
Registered
15 Posts
USCCA just announced on June 6th their "Self-Defense Shield," which is supposed to help pay lawyer expenses in case you have to defend yourself and end up in court.

Full details are available at the USCCA website.

+1 on the annoying emails offering stuff not associated with concealed carry though. =(

·
Premium Member
128,287 Posts
USCCA is a veritable spam machine! IMO, they are only outdone by Front Sight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a USCCA member and after reading the fine print of the new Self-Defense Shield, I am wary to the point of passing on this "shield".
The devil is in the details and it says the insurance policy will pay for the "reasonable and necessary costs and expenses". I guess THEY decide what is reasonable and necessary. My health and dental insurance does that and they rarely pay completely because they can determine what is a reasonable cost, which is always lower, and I am left to pay for the rest.
The other fine print says that USCCA will only pay you "AFTER you've been acquitted of criminal charges or the charges have been dismissed". So it will be up to you and your family to come up with the cash to retain an attorney and start paying the fees.
The "insured" member could apply for "grants" to the Board and Foundation (they do not specify the membership of the board) and the member has to have "been charged with and/or prosecuted in an unmeritorious manner for any type of firearms violation". It does not specify who decides what is meritorious or not.
Although I'm not an expert, these are some pretty big loopholes.
Perhaps, after some time passes and members actually use this benefit, I may consider it, but not now.
If you join USCCA, you will be spammed and constantly e-mailed by Tim and his company. The magazine is good, as are the reports and information on the Web site, but I don't think he authors much of that content. He comes off as pretty flaky and will promote things by his relatives and friends which have nothing to do with CCW or firearms. Hitting delete isn't that hard. The content of the USCCA web site and magazine are pretty good though.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm surprised to read the replies. I was a very happy member a few years ago. I enjoyed it tremendously, and although I was not a CC newbie, I learned a lot.
I remember it as one of the most civil and polite forums I had ever been associated with.

I can't comment on its status today..........only its past.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I made the mistake of checking USCCA out a couple months ago.

Didn't take me long to decide that I wasn't interested, and I sent them an e-mail telling them that, and asking to be removed from their mailing list.

It didn't work. I kept getting the e-mails. So, I sent them another polite request, telling them that I wasn't interested, and again asking to be removed from their mailing list.

The third request didn't work either. I'm still getting 3-4 emails a week from them.

They now are automatically deleted / dumped in the trash can.

What part of "I'm not interested, Please remove me from your mailing list" does he not understand?

Duane

1 - 12 of 12 Posts