Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if someone could explain the usefulnes if any of teh trigger saftey on teh XD. I know glock has a similar saftey, but what is the point of it. I would think the saftey on the grip would prevent accidental discharge.

i guess in teh end it doesn't matter ou have to pull teh trigger back to shoot anyway, but is there any real benifit?

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
suertetres said:
I was just curious if someone could explain the usefulnes if any of teh trigger saftey on teh XD. I know glock has a similar saftey, but what is the point of it. I would think the saftey on the grip would prevent accidental discharge.

i guess in teh end it doesn't matter ou have to pull teh trigger back to shoot anyway, but is there any real benifit?
I think you mean Safety. Anyway, I view it as a redundant safety feature that doesn't cost me anything in time when in an emergency situation. When would be useful? By the end of this thread, you might have a list. Here's one example - Suppose the edge of trigger gets caught on a piece of nylon when re-holstering your weapon. One would hope that you didn't have the grip safety depressed; but it's nice to know it would take both the trigger & grip safeties depressed to get the weapon to fire. That's just one example.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly the example I came up with. It's not a obstructive saftey by any means.

Thanks, I'm just wondering if there was a reason that would make teh light bulb go off :)

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
suertetres said:
That's exactly the example I came up with. It's not a obstructive saftey by any means.

Thanks, I'm just wondering if there was a reason that would make teh light bulb go off :)
No problem. It's a good question. I'd be curious to see examples from some of the experienced firearms folks in this forum.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
I feel that the question answers itself. Why not
have the trigger safety? Go to Ajames's site or
the SA site and look at the USA system. It incorporates
three safeties. The trigger safety is very important
in the total USA arrangement.

Ed

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ed Ely said:

Ed
Please don't take my responce as rude or short, but that really doesn't answer my question. If i knew the answer I woudln't be asking, with the research i've done, I don't see the point in having the saftey on the trigger. Again, I'm not an expert, just my observation. i was hoping someone with far greater knowledge then mine would be able to shed some light.

The manual simply states the obvious. The gun will not shoot until the lever is depressed on the trigger. I do not understand how this is any sort of saftey that is not redundant of the grip saftey.
My question is there a real point of the USA trigger saftey?

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I consider both safeties as "passive". No harm...No foul!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
This is from another post around here. My response to a similar question....
-------------------------------
Understanding exactly what is happening with the grip safety AND the trigger safety will help your comfort level.

Unless the trigger safety is pressed then the trigger cannot move to the rear AND until the trigger is slightly moved to the rear will the firing pin safety move out of the way of the firing pin. The firing pin is physically blocked until the trigger moves about 1/4 inch to the rear. AND...if the grip safety is not depressed then the sear is also physically blocked. When these two conditions are met, then further rearward pressure of the trigger will the sear release the firing pin to contact the primer and fire the pistol.

You are the ultimate safety, the XD has been built to be as mechanically safe as any pistol that I know of.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Frenchy said:
I agree. I don't even notice the grip or trigger safety when shooting. But I do feel safer with them in place. Case in point, a holster manufacturer (Uncle Mikes I think) had to do a safety recall on their holsters because they were causing negligent discharges. As the pistol was being holstered the thumb break was getting pushed into the holster and caught on the trigger, discharging the firearm. The combination of the 3 safeties on the XD would prevent that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The trigger safety only allows the gun to fire with direct reaward pressure, as in someone pulling the trigger, its meant to help prevent the trigger being depressed from other angles. As stated before, in case it gets snagged or dropped onto something.

Suppose u fumble ur gun for whatever reason and try to recover it as it falls, i would much rather have those 2 safeties on there than none... or even just one like the glock for that matter.

·
Registered
516 Posts
gsh341 said:
Frenchy said:
I agree. I don't even notice the grip or trigger safety when shooting. But I do feel safer with them in place. Case in point, a holster manufacturer (Uncle Mikes I think) had to do a safety recall on their holsters because they were causing negligent discharges. As the pistol was being holstered the thumb break was getting pushed into the holster and caught on the trigger, discharging the firearm. The combination of the 3 safeties on the XD would prevent that.
If you had the grip safety depressed the XD would fire just as the Glock’s had. It's not a bad idea when holstering the XD to adjust your grip so that the grip safety is not depressed.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I have a habit of doing just that.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
When I reholster, I put my thumb on the back of the slide. It keeps the slide from moving out of battery and keeps my hand off the grip safety.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
aerowinged said:
The trigger safety only allows the gun to fire with direct reaward pressure, as in someone pulling the trigger, its meant to help prevent the trigger being depressed from other angles. As stated before, in case it gets snagged or dropped onto something.

Suppose u fumble ur gun for whatever reason and try to recover it as it falls, i would much rather have those 2 safeties on there than none... or even just one like the glock for that matter.
That makes good sense. It also would prevent discharge if someone is trying to grab your gun from the holster. thanks,

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
the grip safety is only there to make it "drop safe", just as a 1911.

the ONLY real safety is the opperator. it doesnt matter what safeties or how many... the gun will only fire if you press the trigger.

o and.. as mentioned earlier, they are passive so they dont add any extra time or operation.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm not yet a resident expert here, but have given some thought to this early on. Just like the SA site says, it seems that it's good for when the XD is bumped - hard.

I like to think of a scenerio like this: Let's say you were to drop your XD from a great height and it landed in a pile of stones or other jagged debris. When it strikes, the muzzle is pointing upward. A jagged rock edge depresses the grip safety. But the trigger doesn't have a finger on it. The force of the strike will be taken up by the USA trigger safety. That little piece of plastic (it is plastic - right?) stops the trigger from moving under the inertial forces of the quick stop. With no USA safety, if the trigger were to move back, it would also clear the internal safety (the firing pin block), and - bang - we've got vertical launch!

It seems that the goal was to decrease the probabilty of the pistol firing accidentally without a finger on the trigger. And I assume that the designers wanted to do it without being obtrusive to the operator.

It seems brilliant to me. And in fact, it's a primary reason I don't mind carrying condition one (or condition "zero", as some XD owners like to call it). My right leg is safe. That trigger isn't going anywhere once holstered.

-Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
suertetres said:
Ed Ely said:

Ed
Please don't take my responce as rude or short, but that really doesn't answer my question. If i knew the answer I woudln't be asking, with the research i've done, I don't see the point in having the saftey on the trigger. Again, I'm not an expert, just my observation. i was hoping someone with far greater knowledge then mine would be able to shed some light.

The manual simply states the obvious. The gun will not shoot until the lever is depressed on the trigger. I do not understand how this is any sort of saftey that is not redundant of the grip saftey.
My question is there a real point of the USA trigger saftey?
I have a Smith & Wesson Sigma 40 that is an early Glock clone without the trigger sarety. I am always carefull to watch reholstering so that nothing can catch the edge of the trigger and cause an AD. I consider the trigger safety on my XD's as a great improvement in is handleing safety. Yes, even tho there is a grip safety. How often do you reholster from a firing grip?
mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts