Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
I am sure at least half our sub arsenal is close enough to pick up radio ads for Kimland. Not sure keeping ancient bombers ready to hit targets in 14 hours (or whatever the flightime is) will do much more.

·
Super Moderator
16,612 Posts
I am sure at least half our sub arsenal is close enough to pick up radio ads for Kimland. Not sure keeping ancient bombers ready to hit targets in 14 hours (or whatever the flightime is) will do much more.
I don't actually know, but I always thought alert status was to get the bombers air borne and not blown up sitting on the ground. Silos can be targeted. The "triad" was to have a retaliatory strike force that couldn't be taken out on first strike. Subs and bombers.

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
I don't actually know, but I always thought alert status was to get the bombers air borne and not blown up sitting on the ground. Silos can be targeted. The "triad" was to have a retaliatory strike force that couldn't be taken out on first strike. Subs and bombers.
that is fine for Russia or China, but we are talking North Korea here. There is not enough land mass to require the B-52s to finish cleaning up.

·
Super Moderator
16,612 Posts
that is fine for Russia or China, but we are talking North Korea here. There is not enough land mass to require the B-52s to finish cleaning up.
That's a fair point. But you don't want any of them sitting on the ground either.

But we all know Trump is all about posturing and hot air so I'm sure it's a fair amount of that too.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Yup. Standby means ready to drop ord. Which usually means they are in the air and close enough to do damage at a moments notice.

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
Yup. Standby means ready to drop ord. Which usually means they are in the air and close enough to do damage at a moments notice.
Do you think it's just more noise this time?

I'm starting to wonder if Trump is just trying to "out noise" Kim at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
"Preparing" to put them on alert sounds like politics. I assume we are sending a message more than actually prepping. Like Groo said, there has to be a sub, cruiser, etc that's In a little better position to strike than a bomber in Louisiana. Pyongyang is only about 1300 sq miles so you don't need much.

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
That's a fair point. But you don't want any of them sitting on the ground either.

But we all know Trump is all about posturing and hot air so I'm sure it's a fair amount of that too.
Why not? Who cares if 60 year old bombers get nuked compared to another city getting nuked. I say give Kim more tactical targets than he has missles.

on-site resources are no doubt more than enough to annihilate NK. what good will a second strike do besides give our allies in the region more fall-out?

As far as Trump on NK, at least he is dealing with them. That is more than I can say about Clinton-Bush-Obama.

·
Super Moderator
16,612 Posts
I'm not talking about 60 year old bombers... I'm talking about the nukes that go in them.

And I have no idea why Trump does anything. Nobody else seems to either.

·
Super Moderator
16,612 Posts
Sort of... Like Groo said, a 12 hour flight isn't "ready to drop". That's why we have strategic bombers in Alaska and Guam. Much closer. Carriers carry nukes too. Either bombs or cruismidsles. Well... They can neither confirm nor deny... But ya, we have nukes everywhere. They are definitely not all in one basket.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Sort of... Like Groo said, a 12 hour flight isn't "ready to drop". That's why we have strategic bombers in Alaska and Guam. Much closer. Carriers carry nukes too. Either bombs or cruismidsles. Well... They can neither confirm nor deny... But ya, we have nukes everywhere. They are definitely not all in one basket.
My first duty station was Fairchild AFB in Spokane. My dorm was shared with the guys that worked in an area we weren’t supposed to talk about. It was mentioned that we were sitting on one of the largest stockpiles on the planet. I’ve heard about certain threat levels requiring rotations of aircraft in “preemptive” positions.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Everyone loves to attack Trump, but no one seems to understand that the POTUS has to rely on his military advisors and he's not simply going to turn the key all by himself.

Everyone want's to go back to how W reacted after 9/11 as an example of presidential ineptitude and action, yet no one seems to remember that his actions were predicated on what the Joint Chiefs and the CIA took as credible intelligence reports from other nations and their assets in the region. Unlike odumbass who caved to the pressures applied by NATO and involved the US in the domestic affairs of countries in the Middle East which gave rise to ISIS, Trump and his advisors are dealing with threats directed towards the US and our territories by someone whom the entire world knows has no scruples. Let's face it, if the man would feed his own family members to starving dogs he most certainly has no compunction about attacking the mightiest nation in the world with his nuclear capabilities. We may be looking at a war of words; but let's not forget that the US has the power erase an entire nation with the weaponry carried by one nuclear powered submarine or aircraft carrier. At this time posturing with an alert of air forces may simply be covering for clandestine movement of much more substantial strategic assets.

Reactions: Acheron2010

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
It feels like something is in the works, on our side at least. This whole situation may be coming to a head.

I hope not. Best outcome someone kills the fat weirdo in North Korea but I fear we may be close to war.

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
if the fat weido gets killed, it may be over or it might flare up fierce.

about the only income the country has now is shipping out slave labor to China and Russia, and China will be sending their slaves back. I suspect NK is close to colapse.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I'm not talking about 60 year old bombers... I'm talking about the nukes that go in them.

And I have no idea why Trump does anything. Nobody else seems to either.
Not sure why people say no one knows why Trump does things. He speaks very clearly on the subject, back in 1999, and today.

·
Super Moderator
16,612 Posts
So talking smack on Twitter is negotiating?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts