Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find the perfect carry pistol for me. I have a XD-9SC that I would like to carry more than I do, but because of it's rather blockish shape, it's just not very comfortable. I currently carry my Kel-Tec P32 everywhere. It's small, thin and light. However, I would like to carry a 9mm. I was thinking that a Glock 26 would be a step in the right direction but maybe not enough. A single stack "thin" version of the 26 would be perfect. Of course it doesn't exist. The other to consider is the Kahr PM9. I have held one in my hand and really liked the size and width. I like to carry IWB SOB. This seems to hide best on my 5'9" 180lb some love handle body. Of course this position is worthless while driving, that's why I carry my kel-tec inside jacket pocket. So after all that, my questions are: Does anyone have a PM9 or G26? How do you feel they compare to the XD SC? Is there a noticeable difference in comfort between the G26 and the XD SC?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Whrere do you carry your XD? (hip,wb?) I carry mine at 2:30-3 o'clock IWB. Only time I have a problem with comfort is while driving!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I borrowed a friends Glock26 before I bought my XD SC. I don't think you will gain much by going with a G26 over the XD, if i remember correctly the XD9 and the G26 are almost identical in size.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
The Glock 26 and the XD-Sub are nice and compact, but not in the way to fit your needs. Between the 2, I think the Glock has a very slight edge in the concealment department. Both are kinda hefty with a full magazine and the odds are you won't forget you are carrying one or the other. It's a difficult choice to make, there are so many variables when it comes down to it.
Maybe Kel-Tec .380?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
bubbastain said:
I currently carry my Kel-Tec P32
My friend has the same Kel-Tec P32. Bonus points in the light and concealed department. Lose points for it's poor double action trigger and very poor stopping power of the .32 cartridge. If I had to use the .32 I would get some hollow points and put some cobra venom in the cavity. and then maybe........... :roll:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had been carrying a Bersa .380,, until I bought the XD9,,

IWB,, 3:00-4:00 carry is comfortable for me, alittle larger, but not uncomfortable..

B.G.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a buddy that has the Kahr P-9 (just a little larger then the pm-9) The grip measures .9" wide compared to the XD sub at 1.2" also the slide is much slimmer. I looked at both before I bought my XD sub-c9mm. It came down to price. To me they all will serve my purpose and the xd was $399, the glock was $499 and the Kahr pm-9 was $575-$675 :shock: . For me it was a no brainer but my buddy is still hounding me about not buying the Kahr. I feel I will be much happier with the XD.(just picked it up last night) Anyhow the Kahr is a very slim, well built piece and you would be very happy carying it daily.Just my.02

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Yeah, I was going to suggest looking at a Kahr. They're fairly pricey, and are limited in capacity, but they're quite slick and very thin. I'd actually considered one (that is to say, I walked by a table with one on it :) ) before I bought the XD, but I just didn't have that kind of money.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I almost bought a P9 last week as an "improved concealment weapon." There are two for sale locally, both around $400 used, but I still couldn't justify the cost. The Kahr P-models are very highly regarded as CCWs, though, and the $1,500 that I just fell into (gotta love odd jobs!) might make it easier to stomach.

The P9 shot very nicely and grouped much better than I expected for my first time out. I can tell you one thing for sure, I love the bar-dot sights; they were a definite factor in my good grouping. My short session with them convinced me to buy Heinies for my XD.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
The Drew said:
you already have a kel tec, have you considered the p11? that is in 9 and pretty thin, although it isn't a single stack.
P-11 would be my choice. I'm happy with my P-32.

·
Registered
77 Posts
1911 Commander (4") or shorter.....put on carry grips and it is very comfortable no matter where you carry it (obviously ankle does not count)....if you don't like single action, check out a para.

I know this is blasphemy on this site, but I will probably never carry my XD. Only for fun and home defense use.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was looking at the kahr club over on Glocktalk and I have to say I'm a little hesitant about the Kahr. I realize every gun can have problems. Some are just more likely to than others. It seems with the Kahrs there is an elevated chance of headaches. Not just from a gun that might experience problems, but with it's customer service. Plus, it is expensive.
A Glock 36? I've seen it in a magazine. I love the concept. Wish they would apply it to a 9mm. I'll see if I can rent one. Never shot a 45. That's the thing. I want a gun that's nice to shoot. I love my XD. When I go to the range I only shoot about 20-30 rounds through my P32. Don't like the trigger and It's kind of boring to shoot. It's a wonderful gun for it's purpose. I would take the Kel-tec over any other "pocket/mouse" gun.
I've tried carring my XD in every position IWB, and SOB is the only place that it's comfortable. I do carry OWB in my UM paddle holster sometimes when I am wearing a jacket. Maybe I should always wear a jacket that way I'll have the perfect gun with me(':D')

·
Registered
270 Posts
bubbastain said:
I've tried carring my XD in every position IWB, and SOB is the only place that it's comfortable. I do carry OWB in my UM paddle holster sometimes when I am wearing a jacket. Maybe I should always wear a jacket that way I'll have the perfect gun with me(':D')

There's half your problem right there. UM holsters are total junk and would make carring any gun uncomfortable. Try a quality leather holster like a Tucker Heritage. I carry my 4" XD in one all day. I forget it's there half the time and I'm only 5' 10" @ 180 lbs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went to the gun shop today and held a G26 and G36. The 26 was very similar to my xd. The glock seemed to me to be the more carry friendly pistol. I also liked the feel of the G36. Very nice. I'll have to see if I can rent one to try it out. So I have to say my next purchase will be either a Glock or Kahr with a pretty good lean in the Glocks direction. My XD is my all around gun.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The grip of a G26 is almost 1 inch shorter than the XD sub. That is what makes them so concealable. In order to fit 10 in the mag, the grip is quite a bit wider than the XD. When I was researching to buy a CCW piece last summer, I made the same comment that Glock needed to make a single stack G26. That would have dropped the capacity to 6 + 1, just like the Kahr. The price and the trigger changed my mind. I didn't know when I would get to buy another handgun, and I really liked the XD, so I bought one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've owned a Glock 36 and I currently have a Kahr P9 and XD40 with accessory 9 mm barrel.

I traded the Glock 36 in for the Kahr P9. I could shoot the Kahr much better than I could with the G36. It just pointed better for me.

That said, the Kahr P9 needs about 200 rounds to break in. Mine had several failures-to-feed early on. After the 200 or so rounds, it has been perfect, and I have put at least 1000 rounds through it after the first 200.

I would recommend the Kahr P9 Covert for carry. It is the same size as the P9, but the grip is shorter. I can almost carry the P9 in my front pocket, but the grip sticks out. If I had it to do over, I would buy the covert.

The problem Kahrs seem to be the 40 S&W, particularly the tiny PM40. Kahr better get a handle on the PM40 and P40 problems or they will tarnish their name. On the other hand, their all metal k and MK series are remarkably dependable, but heavier than the P series.

None of them, the Glock 36, the Kahr P9, or even my Kimber Custom 45 or any of my other handguns can hold a candle to my XD 40. I have never been so satisfied with a gun as I am with the XD. If the XD were smaller, it would be my concealed carry.

Ron

1 - 20 of 29 Posts