1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
December 2, 2005

400 Rounds Perfect No problems finally... whoo hoo

November 28, 2005

Took the gun out today and fired 260 rounds through it with the new and stock magazines. I had 1 FTF on the second to last round on one of my stock magazines. I reloaded 3 more times and had no problems. I purchased the Don Guide Rod and 22 # spring and placed them in after the testing the magazine 3 times I put in the new rod and spring and loved it. Not only did it help with my accuracy but there was a difference in recoil and flip. Only had one FTE with the new rod and spring and NO FTF whooo hooo.. Looks like whatever the problem was has worked itself out.

Thanks for all the input and advice on this issue and I will keep you all informed. I guess the only thing I need now is a Trigger Job by CC. Also ordered the 9mm conversion barrel and looking forward to that coming in. Will keep you all informed.

Thanks again.

November 21, 2005

Just picked up my XD 40 on Saturday night and took it to the range today. I had only fired the XD 9 before this and was very impressed with the way the XD felt and accuracy. Have shot many glocks and even though they are good guns did not like the way they felt.

My XD 40 I purchased to carry as a duty weapon once I finish the police academy. Was not happy with the problems that I encountered with my XD today.

Magazines 1 and 2 = no problems

Magazines 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, = FTF on the second to last round. :!:

Mag 9 = No problems

Mag 10 = FTF second to last round :!:

Mag, 11 = good

Mag, 12, 13, 14 = FTF second to last round :!:

15, 16, = Good

17 = FTF 2nd to last round :!:

18 = Good

19, 20, = FTF 2nd to last round. :!:

I am firing the Winchester 40 S&W value packs from Walmart 165gr. Fired a total of 150 rounds. I even marked the magazines to see if one was FTF more than the other. I also went from 12 rounds to 10, 9, 8, always 2nd to last round FTF. I am not sure why this is happening after the first 2 times this happened I place a couple drops of oil on the slide and key parts thinking that maybe since the gun was Brand New that something might be a little stiff. Please let me know what you think the problem is with this. :evil: Is it the magazines? or the weapon? Do I need to call SA and see what they suggest. I am waiting on an order from Pistol-Gear of magazines once I get this I will take the gun out again and see if I have the same problems.

Love the gun, the way it feels, the look, the shot groups, even though mine are not very tight or accurate right now.

I was shooting a steel plate at 25 + yards and place the sight picture at the 6 o'clock could pling the hell out of it. Moved to a paper taget between 10 15 yards and was all over. I believe it is my problem not the guns because I do the same with my Glock 19. Dont have alot of experience with pistols but have put approx. 3000 rounds through the G19 that I have and understand that I am the problem with most of my shooting accuracy problems. Am planning a trip out to see a guy that is going to help or at least attempt to help me fix this problem. I didnt dump to much money into the G19 because I am only borrowing the weapon. Am willing to put the money into my XD to make my shot groups tighter and correct my mistakes.

Sorry for the long post. Feedback requested.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My first thought is are they all factory magazines? Go back to the range and use only the mags that had no failures the first time around. If they still have no failures then you will have isolated the problem to specific magazines.
I know it may sound wierd, but make sure your thumb is not riding on the slide lock lever.
Mike

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I should have been specific... I only have 2 magazines the 2 that came with the weapon. When I state mag 1, 2, 15, etc. I am talking about that was the number mag that I put in. As I said I marked the mags to determine if the 1st or 2nd was doing it more than the other they both had the same number of FTF. I am waiting on 3 mags from pistol gear to come in and when they do I will take them to the range.

Thanks for the reply Mikeb, I will double check my thumb but unless I was hitting it with my thumb on the 2nd to last round every time I dont think I was doing that, but I will double check.

·
Registered
409 Posts
are all the rounds seated to the rear of the mag... I have had that problem once in a while.

check the feed ramp, I always polish mine just to rule it out... some sand paper and a sharpe(for a matching Dia).

I'd say its the rounds not seated to the rear of the mag if anything... did you look at the round that was jammed? Was it partially in the mag, kinda like there wasn't enough umph to get it to feed?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every single FTF I had was the second to last round and only fed half way with the slide partially open. My concern is that it is not the magazine and it is something to do with the gun. But I dont know. Thanks for the feedback so far.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The first thing you should try is diffrent ammo. Some guns will shoot anything you put in them, and some guns can be a little more picky. That is the easiest thing to change. If it still dosen't work take the mags apart and make sure they are clean inside, and check to see if there are any burrs or anything else on the follwer, and then make sure you put them back together the right way. After that If you think can do it yourself, you try polishing the feed ramp. The next step is probably to send it to springfield.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
R/T,

Thanks for the response, I will look into the polishing and lubing. Just a question if it has to much finish or whatever then wouldnt that cause it to FTF on every round or different rounds. It is only FTF on the 2nd to last round, no matter if I have 8 rounds or 12 rounds it is always the 2nd to last. I mean if it was the gun wouldnt it FTF at different times. I am thinking that it has to be something wrong with the magazines because it is always the 2nd to last round and nothing else. It usually feeds halfway to 3/4 before stoppage occurs.

thanks,

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
But all I can figure is the amount of push on the second to last round or the angle created by the place of the follow .may be creating a bind on the chamber edge.
I have seen a couple poeple post feeding problems with lead normally is sized .401 and the chamber being to tight.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I am going to clean the gun up real good today and expect my mags in any day now and will try new magazines and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
law_n_4_zer said:
Well I am going to clean the gun up real good today and expect my mags in any day now and will try new magazines and see what happens.
Sound like a good plan I have to mags that won't load gold dot's in my service.Need to adjust the feed lips but no time right now

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats the plan I am planning on hitting the range up in the next week and I am not going to really focus on accuracy I am just going to put 3 or 4 hundred rounds through it and hopefully by that It will get better or worse and I will send it off to springfield.

·
Registered
85 Posts
law_n_4_zer said:
Every single FTF I had was the second to last round and only fed half way with the slide partially open. My concern is that it is not the magazine and it is something to do with the gun. But I dont know. Thanks for the feedback so far.
At least it's making it about half way in the chamber. :) When I first shot my 40 Tactical it wouldn't even make it to the feed ramp. After I read this forum on FTF I opened up the mag lips on one mag then polished the feed ramp and a little of the inside of the chamber and the groove on the inside frame right under the feed ramp about 1/4 inch down. Cleaned it good and gave it a good oiling. Then when I shot it again with both mags it made it half way in the chamber like your's. So I knew it wasn't the mags because they both worked. So what I did next was I took one of those small hobby files and carefully rounded the inside of the chambers and any sharp edges around the inside of the chamber that looked like the outside edge of the case can catch and slow the slide down just enough to not fully chamber. If you do decide to file DO NOT get carried away. Just enough to take the sharp edge off. Can't even tell I did it unless I told you. Then I repolished everything again plus all the way in the chamber. Cleaned it and lubed it good and took it out again and BAM!! No problems. And for the over kill I'm going to step up on the next strongest recoil spring. Not that I need it but that's me all ways thinking of "What If?" :D
Kind of wish I didn't buy it now that talk is they just might come out with a 45acp next year. Guess I'm going to have to buy the 9mm Tactical along with the 45acp to complete the set. HAHAHA Don't think the XD isn't a good gun. I like mine so much I'm giving my .40 SW99 to a family member which is all so a great firearm and I'm keeping the XD. :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Because your life will ultimately depend on this weapon, I would avoid any home gunsmithing. Any competent gunsmith can polish the feed ramp for next to nothing. In addition, It doe not sound like a magazine problem. The magazine is doing its job because the round is partially chambering. It is more than likely a rough ramp or chamber, or the gun is just not broke in yet. A tight chamber is not necessarily a bad thing, once it is broke in there will be greater accuracy potential. Don't be afraid to use your warranty, that is why its there.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sending to a gunsmith is a waste of his/your time/money to polish anything.

Just get some 200-400-600 grit, and work your way up. I used a pen the same dia of the feed ramp and got it nice and shiny. To take it a step further, I also did the locking block feed ramp, then melded them to gether.

Don't be afraid to work on your own pistol. Makes me appriciate it more when I do it.

Instead of using a file, and getting carried away, you can take the 200-400 grit and do the same thing without the worries of going to far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
JesterXD40 said:
Sending to a gunsmith is a waste of his/your time/money to polish anything.

Just get some 200-400-600 grit, and work your way up. I used a pen the same dia of the feed ramp and got it nice and shiny. To take it a step further, I also did the locking block feed ramp, then melded them to gether.

Don't be afraid to work on your own pistol. Makes me appriciate it more when I do it.

Instead of using a file, and getting carried away, you can take the 200-400 grit and do the same thing without the worries of going to far.
That's a good way to do it too. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well first off wanted to thank everyone for there input on what I could do and what the problem could have been. The feed ramp is polished I took it to a friend who is a gunsmith and he just used a dremel tool with a polishing disk and some metal polish and then he took a bore snake and metal polish and did the same thing. Fired over 400 rounds through it and no problems...

I am sad now because I have sent my gun off to CC to have a trigger job, dura kote finish, ext. mag release done to it and cant wait to get it back.. also just got my 9mm conversion barrel in the mail today so am chomping at the bit to get it back to see how it looks and shoots with the new trigger, also want to put the 9mm barrel in it and see how things work out.

Also want to say that this forum and pistol gear forums are great. I have learned alot and gotten alot of advice from these two sites. Thanks members.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts