Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've put about 700 rounds through my new XDm 40 and noticed this unusual wear on the inside of my slide while I was cleaning it after the last range session. I'm not sure what this could be caused from. The only thing that has been shot with this gun is about 600 rounds of Blazer Brass, 25 rounds Speer Gold Dot JHP's and 50-100 reloads.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My XDM (black) started to show significant wear on the barrel near the ejection port. It was also jamming so I sent it back to Springfield, but the wear was very excessive. Also, on the inside of the slide- on the ejection port- wear started to set in. I assume the expelled brass was rubbing off the blueing of the slide.

I'm sorry to hear about your issues. Mine aren't the same necessarily, but I figured I would report my issues. Per chance is yours one of the first 5k produced?

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I seem to be hearing a lot more problems with the XDM than the XD, what's the deal here? Are there problems with the first-run XDMs?

I'll tell ya, my daddy told me a long time ago to never buy the first year production run of ANYTHING, and he's right.

I got the 2000 Toyota Tundra, the first production year.
Toyotas are pretty much bulletproof but I had two significant problems with this truck, as did everyone else who bought the first year.

My friend bought the first run of a very expensive ham radio and it caused him no end of grief until they admitted they had problems.

The new run of XDs, should they have problems, I'm sure SA will make it good because I've never seen a series of handguns TAKE OFF like the XD in my life. They have a gold mine and they know it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My XDM (black) started to show significant wear on the barrel near the ejection port. It was also jamming so I sent it back to Springfield, but the wear was very excessive. Also, on the inside of the slide- on the ejection port- wear started to set in. I assume the expelled brass was rubbing off the blueing of the slide.

I'm sorry to hear about your issues. Mine aren't the same necessarily, but I figured I would report my issues. Per chance is yours one of the first 5k produced?
I'm not sure if it is one of the first 5k produced or not. I guess I called it unusual slide wear because it is worn a lot more in that one area than in the rest. I didn't think it looked normal so I thought I'd post it up and see if anyone else was having the same problem. I'm still completely satisfied with the gun though. Everything else about it is great.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I don't see anything that I would say is "unusual."
As far as the minor scratches go I would agree that this is probably normal break-in wear. What I might be concerned about is what looks like impact damage on the lip of the ledge. Hard to tell from the picture. Is the metal there starting to make any kind of ridge? A little judicious filing there might solve that but also might void your warranty. Certainly wouldn't recommend it without talking to SA.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
If its a match barrel then its fit tighter and this could be why, possibly?
Like Loves2shoot said, it looks like its from the barrel locking up.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
i don't think filing would be necessary since usage is already mating the surfaces to each other. filing may cause accuracy issues. if i was worried about it, i would personally put a thousand or so more rounds through it, keeping it well-lubricated to avoid corrosion. then send it to SA to be re-finished (barrel + slide) once the surfaces were mated to each other. as mentioned before, closer tolerances are likely causing more wear than normal XD's, but i'm not an armorer, so this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as the minor scratches go I would agree that this is probably normal break-in wear. What I might be concerned about is what looks like impact damage on the lip of the ledge. Hard to tell from the picture. Is the metal there starting to make any kind of ridge? A little judicious filing there might solve that but also might void your warranty. Certainly wouldn't recommend it without talking to SA.
Yes there is a little lip forming. That's what I'm talking about in the post. I'm not really concerned with the wear on the inside of the lip. I do agree that it looks like normal break in wear. I probably should have circled the affected area in the picture. I'll probably end up sending the slide back to SA. I don't like the idea of being without my pistol though.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I just stripped my XDm and took a close look at the area in question. BTW, my pistol is all black with a round count of 800 and I have zero wear in the area in question. Also, my serial number is below 2000 for the last 4 digits, which indicates it's one of the first 2000 made. That area where you are seeing wear has a full length chamfer of that edge on my slide that is approximately the same width as the deepest point of wear on your slide. Also, my slide is not showing ANY wear in that area in question, the finish looks completely virgin. I suspect that a chamfer is needed in the area to help guide the barrel lug as it's locked up. If you take a close look at the rear of your barrel lug you'll probably see some witness marks where it's been hitting the slide.

Obviously you happen to have another example of detail finishing that is missing on some of the XDm's. Don't feel bad, I have found 2 areas that were lacking in detailing that resulted in 2 distinct different types of feed failures. I attribute these issues as being fairly typical for a new production startup that will get sorted out in time. However, in order for this to happen it's imperative that everyone experiencing issues report them to Springfield. So, email them a pic of what you seeing and note that a chamfer seems to be missing on your pistol that is present on others. They may then request that you send your pistol in for some fine tuning. If they do, make sure to ask them to send you the complementary magazines and holder that they are now offering to new purchasers. After all, you might as well get a couple of magazines and a holder for your trouble.

As for myself, when I finally get a my normal computer back from repair I plan to send them pics but won't be sending in the pistol, the areas that needed addressing in my pistol were so simple to fix that I just did it myself. I probably could have squeezed a couple of magazines out of them but I already have 10 and really don't need any more. BTW, since doing that function has been flawless and I tried real hard to make it fail last Saturday. If your curious about my issues, just look for my posts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I contacted SA and sent them and email with the same picture that is in this thread. Their response was that it was normal wear and thanks for my business. That's about what I expected from them.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
What I might be concerned about is what looks like impact damage on the lip of the ledge. Hard to tell from the picture. Is the metal there starting to make any kind of ridge?
Wow I didn't even see that part, I was looking at the scratches. My XDm definitely doesn't have that. It looks like the barrel chamber is impacting that ledge!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow I didn't even see that part, I was looking at the scratches. My XDm definitely doesn't have that. It looks like the barrel chamber is impacting that ledge!

Yeah Most ppl that commented I think didn't notice that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts