Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum so I hope it's in the right place. I am a little concerned about the feed ramp on my XD40sub. Tonight I noticed a small U shaped indent on the feed ramp, and a small nick in it as well. I was curious if the small U shape is meant to be there or not, or if the metal is being eaten away somehow as the rounds cycle. I have had the gun for a year and bought it used but in almost new condition. I have put maybe 2000 rounds through it so far and clean it after every trip to the range. For the life of me I cannot remember if the feed ramp always looked like this or not. I cannot find a clear enough photo online to compare. Could somebody please post pictures of their feed ramp from different angles so I could make a visual conpairison? Thank you very much.

ngogol

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
I cannot find a clear enough photo online to compare. Could somebody please post pictures of their feed ramp from different angles so I could make a visual conpairison? Thank you very much.
Can you to take a picture of "Your Feed Ramp" on the XD40sub instead of an internet picture? It might be helpful. It would be helpful to see exactly what you speak of on the vary firearm you have. Does the firearm shoot good? Have you had any problems with it that you feel could be contributed to the indent & nick? I don't have a 40 but I don't have the 9mm. I don't think that would help you though. It would be interesting to see the actual ramp....................:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you to take a picture of "Your Feed Ramp" on the XD40sub instead of an internet picture? It might be helpful. It would be helpful to see exactly what you speak of on the vary firearm you have. Does the firearm shoot good? Have you had any problems with it that you feel could be contributed to the indent & nick? I don't have a 40 but I don't have the 9mm. I don't think that would help you though. It would be interesting to see the actual ramp....................:)

Does this look normal? Like I said it could very well be all in my head haha, I just want to be sure.

Thanks

IMG_4308.JPG
IMG_4306.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I compared my XDM9 against the pictures you have above and My 9MM doesn't look like that at all. I would follow Big Lou's Advice above.
Thanks for checking it. I believe that the XDm feed ramp and the regular XD feed ramp may be slightly different though... I say that because I looked up a ton of pictures and there does seem to be a difference. I watched a video of a guy field strip his XD-40 sub, exact same as mine, and I did notice a little divot in the feed ramp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I compared my XDM9 against the pictures you have above and My 9MM doesn't look like that at all. I would follow Big Lou's Advice above.
Also... I looked closely at how the bullets enteres the chamber and from what I can tell the bullet/casing doesn't even touch the end of the lip. Therefor I don't know how it would be catching on anything...

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum so I hope it's in the right place. I am a little concerned about the feed ramp on my XD40sub. Tonight I noticed a small U shaped indent on the feed ramp, and a small nick in it as well. I was curious if the small U shape is meant to be there or not, or if the metal is being eaten away somehow as the rounds cycle. I have had the gun for a year and bought it used but in almost new condition. I have put maybe 2000 rounds through it so far and clean it after every trip to the range. For the life of me I cannot remember if the feed ramp always looked like this or not. I cannot find a clear enough photo online to compare. Could somebody please post pictures of their feed ramp from different angles so I could make a visual conpairison? Thank you very much.

ngogol
That is not normal, you will need a new barrel. Contact Springfield Armory.

Don

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
I went digging through my pictures and found this. The Barrel on the left is my XDM9........The other two are 9MM as well but not SA. I don't have an XD40 barrel so I have no idea if the XD40 is made that way. You stated you have shot 2000 rounds through it. Any problems? Have you shot any through it after you noticed the feed ramp? Speaking for myself, I'd have it looked at before I'd shoot it again. Maybe compare it to another XD40 and not the 9MM.
There's my 2 cents. Sorry I couldn't help.........
FEED RAMPS.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is not normal, you will need a new barrel. Contact Springfield Armory.

Don
I already called them. The person on the phone wasn't able to answer my question properly at the time so she sent me an email so I could ask through there and she would respond when she got an answer. I sent photos to them, so hopefully they will know what to do about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I went digging through my pictures and found this. The Barrel on the left is my XDM9........The other two are 9MM as well but not SA. I don't have an XD40 barrel so I have no idea if the XD40 is made that way. You stated you have shot 2000 rounds through it. Any problems? Have you shot any through it after you noticed the feed ramp? Speaking for myself, I'd have it looked at before I'd shoot it again. Maybe compare it to another XD40 and not the 9MM.
There's my 2 cents. Sorry I couldn't help.........
View attachment 219169

Thanks for the photo! Yeah mine does look a little different. Regardless I called SA and they gave me an email to ask the question since all their mechanical people were bust at the moment. In the email I included the same photos that I posted here. Hopefully they will know what to do and replace my barrel if needed.

Also as to if there have been any problems... I have not experienced any feeding issues. The only problem I have experienced is every so often when using the extended mags I get a premature slide lock. Out of 150 shots this happened 3 times. I do not believe it to be related to the question at hand though. I called SA about that as well, and they sent out another extended mag.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Yeah, I'd follow the advise dglock posted. Myself, I wouldn't shoot anymore using that barrel. Now that's just me. I tend to be on the cautious side...........:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news from Springfield Armory!! I sent them pictures of my feed ramp and asked the same question I did here - They got back to me quickly saying that my feed ramp looks normal and as to design Apparently different calibers feature slightly different feed ramps to accommodate the round. Makes sense. In fact, I saw an XD 45 feed ramp with an even wider crescent.

Also I inquired about my periodic premature slide locks with my extended mags, and they put a brand new extended mag (sleeve and all) in the mail for me free of charge, no questions asked! Excellent customer service.

Thank you to everybody who replied to my question!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good news from Springfield Armory!! I sent them pictures of my feed ramp and asked the same question I did here - They got back to me quickly saying that my feed ramp looks normal and as to design Apparently different calibers feature slightly different feed ramps to accommodate the round. Makes sense. In fact, I saw an XD 45 feed ramp with an even wider crescent.

Also I inquired about my periodic premature slide locks with my extended mags, and they put a brand new extended mag (sleeve and all) in the mail for me free of charge, no questions asked! Excellent customer service.

Thank you to everybody who replied to my question!
I will check my XD40 sub tonight. Now you have me curious!

Eric.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
I will check my XD40 sub tonight. Now you have me curious!
It wouldn't hurt to check your XD40........I don't see it happening on the 9MM but I would guess that's a different beast. There are a couple of members who could tell just by looking at the pictures. They might require a little sharper picture but I'll bet they'd know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a look at my XDSC, which looks exactly the same as OP. Hope that helps!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts