Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no reason to ever load 38 Super hot enough for the spent cases to look like this. This is pain just waiting to happen. These were picked up after a USPSA match.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Same for 9mm, 40 or 10mm, too many guys pushing major in calibers not designed for that or using the worng powders.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
It's hard to tell from the photo, but the bulge at the bottom could be due to something other than overcharge. There is a possibility that the reloading seating die is set incorrectly and is crushing the case but not enough to keep it from chambering and being fired..

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I agree with rayikeo2 looks like the sizing die did that. Case bulging doesn't look that uniform or at least I've never seen it look like that. The case head area where the feed ramp is located usually bulges out more on the ones I've seen.

10mm and 40 are major rounds with out having to push over max loadings. 10mm can be underloaded and still make major. Factory .40 makes major.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
It's hard to tell from the photo, but the bulge at the bottom could be due to something other than overcharge. There is a possibility that the reloading seating die is set incorrectly and is crushing the case but not enough to keep it from chambering and being fired..

I tend to agree. Look at the crimp that is still on the case mouth. I have had 38 spcl loads in the past that were real light on pressure that still had crimp on them after being fired (with lead projectiles). The case looks like it was crushed when crimp was put to it.

Even better would be a picture of the primers and if there was smear from the firing pin and or primer flow............

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The primers do show evidence of flowing/smearing but very little. The more I think about it, the more I think it's more a gun issue than an ammo issue.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The primers do show evidence of flowing/smearing but very little. The more I think about it, the more I think it's more a gun issue than an ammo issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts