Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I took my CHL course a few years ago I did not own a semi larger than a .22 and I ended up going to a shop hot to buy a 9 mm pistol. I had read a lot of good things about the XD but was not aware of the problems a ported pistol presented for a SD gun so I ended up taking home a ported XD-9. Since then I've come to realize that I'm much more comfortable with a DA/SA gun for carry but the XD is still my favorite range and bedside gun but I still wish it wasn't ported. The concussion and noise shooting it under a corregated roof at the range and the problems it might present in a SD situation at home make me want to buy a normal barrel. I think a normal barrel would give a bit more muzzle velocity and perhaps a bit better accuracy. I expect that it won't be as dirty inside and on the front sight. I've shot an unported XD-9 and it seemed fine.

I'm not looking for anything sophisticated so just buying a factory barrel makes sense. Has anyone done this? Will it be a drop in replacement with no problems?

·
Registered
176 Posts
unfortunately, everyone is woried about how taking a "modified" firearm into a court setting after a shooting, whether in self defence or not, will play as far as a verdict. a hot DA can make it sound like any one "mods" to there gun was lookin for a fight, or thought they knew more than the gun co., etc. etc. etc., could be nothing, could be something, but i agree with the advice...

·
Registered
27 Posts
flip side is, i've yet to see any evidence of anything like that happening.

personally, i'd see if someone with an unported gun wants to trade slide and barrel with you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
...but it would be nice not to be temporarily blind and deaf when you might need to make a followup shot.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
tattoo said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
If your not going to use it for CC an after market barrel will do you just fine.
Is there some reason you would not use a drop in barrel for CC? :?:
When you buy a gun for CC you want to have the manufactures parts in it. They designed it and tested it with their parts. An after market item may cause problems. There ok for range use but do you really want to defend yourself with an experimental weapon. Not me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
tattoo said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
If your not going to use it for CC an after market barrel will do you just fine.
When you buy a gun for CC you want to have the manufactures parts in it. They designed it and tested it with their parts. An after market item may cause problems. There ok for range use but do you really want to defend yourself with an experimental weapon. Not me.

so you wouldnt use a barsto barrel in a Wilson CQB 1911? or how about the barsto barrels that are in the custom house XD's? i think as long as its from a reputable source, EFK or barsto, i would have no problem using it

·
Registered
65 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
tattoo said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
I would put the gun thru it's paces, test it out a bit, just like a would a totally stock gun. If it performed well and ate thru my chosen ammo I wouldn't hesitate for a second to depend on it as a CC gun.
Your statement is like saying you wouldn't use a CC gun with aftermarket mags, a trigger job, a fluff and buff, special sights, new guide rod, springs or any other mod.
Do the mods, test it thoroughly afterwards and if all is well smile and be happy your gun is a little bit better at suiting your needs.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Your statement is like saying you wouldn't use a CC gun with aftermarket mags, a trigger job, a fluff and buff, special sights, new guide rod, springs or any other mod.
Not quite true. Mostly I'm talking about internals. The parts that work together to make the gun go bang. I believe some of these aftermarket barrels do come with disclaimers on use. Special sight's won't cause a misfire. I've had no problems with my carry gun and feel no need to change anything on it because of that. I trust it just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I have made 4 changes on my current XD, each one of them appropriately documented, and each one has reliability reasons behind it.

1) Refinished the Slide
2) Polished chamber and Feed Ramps
3) Replaced the guide rod and recoil spring assembly with a one-piece rod and a 20# spring.
4) Replaced standard sights with night sights.

Every one of these changes is documented as to who, where, when, and why. If god forbid I should ever have to use my handgun for defense of myself or my wife, I am confident that any of these changes will be held up in court.

I would like to make the trigger action smoother but I need to make sure that doing so does not alter the trigger weight to avoid legal liability.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts