Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of prepping my 45 brass, I've noticed that a lot of the primer flash holes are different sizes. I know a couple guys that drill them all out to the same size for consistency. Do any of you guys do this? or is it a waste of time?

Note: Im not making match grade stuff, nor am I a good enough shooter to likely notice a difference. But still curious...

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
it will affect the speed at which the powder ignites, but we are talking milliseconds
my vote is, if no match, no care
unless its a huge difference like an obstruction or something

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nah, haven't seen any obstructions. Just different sizes between different manufacturers/headstamps

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
A complete waste of time. When you punch out the old primer, it opens up the flash hole and pushes out any left over residue at the same time. Leave well enough alone. I have yet to hear a shooter say, "if I had only cleaned the flash hole". I would have shot better. :D

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
A complete waste of time. When you punch out the old primer, it opens up the flash hole and pushes out any left over residue at the same time. Leave well enough alone. I have yet to hear a shooter say, "if I had only cleaned the flash hole". I would have shot better. :D
when you're chasing fractions of an inch, you'll do what generates results.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Unless you & your pistol are cable of 2" groups @ 50yds, it's not gonna matter. In rifles, also not gona matter unless you & your rifle are already shooting groups in the 3s, then maybe you can squeeze another 1/10" out of it.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Uniforming flash holes isn't just about the size but making them the same depth internally. Some case have burrs inside where the pocket is punched.
I went thru this when I built my precision bolt gun. With best loads on good days, it will shoot 5shots into 3/8". Prepping brass by uniformity primer pockets & flah holes gave no measurable group diff.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
I've never even held up a case to the light for a look through the hole. The things I've missed ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I never have but have trashed a few cases that had excessively large flash holes. I do not, however, chase real tight bullseye groups the way some do. It might be worth it if you want maximum uniformity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts