Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a post a while back about firing underwater and wanted to try it for myself.
I dont expect it to be so loud (not that you would hear it if you were 15 feet away)
It just felt good to know that my gun performs as the tests say it should.
Is it recommended that I do one of those complete disassemblies as outlined by A.James after that or is the normal field strip clean enough.
I have so much confidence in this gun its unbelievable.
I have only fired about two hundred rounds from it with no problems.
I am also looking for a good LEFT-HANDED concealment holster. Already bought the Don Hume JIT but that hangs off too much. Also bought the Uncle Mike paddle holster but that ones clearly for competition. I am a fan of Gabe Suarez and so I believe you should practice with what you carry.
Just got a copy of his Close Range Gun Fighting DVD. Very good if I say so myself.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Dude, dont shoot your gun underwater, the likelyhood of you having to do that in any situation is probably 1 out of 100,000,000,000,000 and its just not a safe thing to do. If you decide to and your gun blows up, please post pictures of the gun and your hand.
As far as tearing it completely down, you can if you want, I dont do mine, never have but it wont hurt it. I do a thorough cleaning after each range session or at the least, after every other one.
For holsters, look at Gunner Alley.

Be safe

·
Registered
595 Posts
He might not be able to post the pics after his "underwater" pistol shooting experience.....

:idea: His widow might do it for us though. :shock: Or at the least, he would no longer be needing the Left-handed concealment holster.

·
Registered
27 Posts
shooting underwater is nothing new, and not nearly as dangerous as some think, as long as you make sure the air is out of the gun before you start.

personally, i would detail strip it if you can.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with ichy_trigger. Aside from the curiosity issue, and that it seems to work really well for the heros in movies, when would you ever need to shoot underwater? The risk of damage to you and your weapon is probably too great if you don't know what you're doing. Be satisfied in knowing you have a fantastic weapon and happy shooting.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
ichy_trigger said:
Dude, dont shoot your gun underwater, the likelyhood of you having to do that in any situation is probably 1 out of 100,000,000,000,000 and its just not a safe thing to do.

wake up!!

guns arent safe period.... in water or out of water.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Guns are plenty safe if the shooter is safe.

You sound like a soccer mom.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Old Man Rufus said:
If you have your head underwater, you can probably say goodbye to your eardrums....
Thats a folk tale.
xd40 mike shot his under water several times.No I wouldn't recommend it but it does work but seems to separate hp jackets :shock:
I haven't tried and no plans to in the future

·
Registered
223 Posts
twotone said:
I have so much confidence in this gun its unbelievable.
And that is part of the problem...while I understand a certain brand loyalty, don't expect the gun to be some kind of magic wand that will simply deliver bullets flawlessly in any circumstance.

You fire the thing underwater, you create an enormous back-pressure. As a result, you may have already caused damage to the gun's parts, which may not become evident until significant wear takes place. Then again, it might happen tomorrow. You'll be all full of confidence right up until you feel the slide ratcheting into your skull because the pressure blew your receiver apart.

T

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]Guns are plenty safe if the shooter is safe.
yes technically.

the point i was trying to get accross is... dot give it the benefit of the doubt.

first rule of firearms: all guns are loaded at all times.
what does this mean? "if" they are loaded always you will treat them accordingly, this rules just takes out the "if".

all activities with a gun are dangerous. the second you think its just the shooter is the second accadents will happen.... dont give them the benifit of the doubt.

safe professional people still get hurt doing dangerous activities.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
bd said:
Does 9mm have enough stopping power for largemouth bass or do I need to move up to a .40 caliber?

bd
:lol: :lol: :p

Ed

·
Registered
112 Posts
"Thats a folk tale. "

No, it's not. It's physics. Water is a better medium for sound than air is. You put your head underwater without ear protection and fire a gun, and not only will you come out with no hearing, you will likely have a bloody stump instead of a hand. As XX,000 PSI move your 9mm or .40 bullet down the barrel, the water in front of the bullet provides more resistance than the air that would normally be there, increasing that pressure. (Although you will be WORSE off if you leave the air in there.) Your gun may fire without kabooming and it may do fine. Heck, it's an XD. It'll probably hold up. But why risk it? Glocks, which some people regard to be amphibious (and I don't know why) must be specially equipped and loaded with certain ammo before they are fired underwater.

+1 to posting pics with the end result.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
therooster said:
[TASF said:
Overkill]Guns are plenty safe if the shooter is safe.
yes technically.

the point i was trying to get accross is... dot give it the benefit of the doubt.

first rule of firearms: all guns are loaded at all times.
what does this mean? "if" they are loaded always you will treat them accordingly, this rules just takes out the "if".

all activities with a gun are dangerous. the second you think its just the shooter is the second accadents will happen.... dont give them the benifit of the doubt.

safe professional people still get hurt doing dangerous activities.
A gun that sits on a table and is never touched will do no harm. A gun in the hands of a profesional or amateur can cause devestating damage. Its all about how safe you are with it. No matter how safe you are, accidents can happen. My point was that safe gun handling does not include firing a gun underwater.

Ya soccer mom wanna be! :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
M1Thumb said:
"Thats a folk tale. "

No, it's not. It's physics. Water is a better medium for sound than air is.

This is very true, and also very easy to test if you have a pool or next time you are at the beach. Just take a couple pebbles and hit them together underwater while your ears are also submerged and you'll notice a very large increase in sound compared to out of water.

Only do it with small stones, and if you don't have the option of small stones do it very gently. You can really hurt your ears if you were to smash two large rocks together underwater.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Whoever thinks it's a good idea to shoot thier gun underwater should also drive thier vehicle directly into the closest body of water. See how your engine fairs trying to compress the water in it's cylinders.

When you submerge the engine and the cylinders/pistons take on water it hydrolocks. It is much easier to compress air than water. Your engine probably won't explode but it will definitely do damage to the inside.

When you fire a gun underwater you have to force the water out of the chamber which, without a doubt, causes more stress on the barrel and other parts of the gun. Why chance damaging a perfectly good pistol, hand and arm?

It really isnt a good idea any way you look at it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
M1Thumb said:
Glocks, which some people regard to be amphibious (and I don't know why) must be specially equipped and loaded with certain ammo before they are fired underwater.
Not only do they need waterproof ammo, but also require replacement cups that allow the water through to balance the pressure and allow air to escape prior to firing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts