Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the XDM 9mm 4.5" & I've been trying to be as knowledgeable as I can about things regarding this weapon.

It's my understanding the factory recoil spring is 18lbs? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to changing out the rod & spring? I'm open to as many "upgrades" as possible, but would like to understand the process a little more.

I've seen Tungsten & Steel Rods
I've seen springs range from 14lbs-22lbs

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
If you are just shooting factory loads then there is no reason to change to the poundage of the recoil spring. I know a guy that loads really weak 9mm for matches that has to run a lighter weight spring but beyond that I don't see you gaining anything.

As far as Tungsten/SS guide rods go, I have read mixed review on them actually dampening recoil. I would imagine the difference would be minimal at best.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I will just do more recreational shooting with factory loads.

I've read some bad things about the Tungsten rods, but not much info regarding the SS.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Thanks!
I will just do more recreational shooting with factory loads.

I've read some bad things about the Tungsten rods, but not much info regarding the SS.
I have heard of aftermarket guide rods effecting reliability so it it is a carry gun I would stear clear or at least make sure it functions properly for at least a few hundred rounds.

If it's just a range toy that you enjoy tinkering with then go for it!

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Grip strength and technique is what'll best handle recoil. :)

Not that more mass and better distribution wouldn't help - but in all honesty, grip. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grip strength and technique is what'll best handle recoil. :)

Not that more mass and better distribution wouldn't help - but in all honesty, grip. :)
Luckily I armwrestle professionally lol, so my grip is pretty good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, i can definitely see positioning playing a huge factor.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
^ Your arm/grip strength will definitely help - and help quite a bit.

Strength doesn't replace technique, but the converse is also true: technique can only do so much.

JTOUPS1214, Robert Vogel recommends that serious shooters be able to crush-out the #2 Captains of Crush grip exerciser. After watching Game of Arms last season (you weren't on there, were you?), I'd imagine that you can do that quite easily!

Brute strength does help. Combined with proper technique, you're going to be able to be *really* fast on the trigger, with minimal deviation.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
JTOUPS1214, Robert Vogel recommends that serious shooters be able to crush-out the #2 Captains of Crush grip exerciser. After watching Game of Arms last season (you weren't on there, were you?), I'd imagine that you can do that quite easily!
The #2 is 195 lbs. I am curious now if I could do it.......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm good friends with all of the Louisiana team. They are filming season two currently.

i don't have those particular grips, but similar. Mine are labeled 100,150,200,250,300,350. I can almost do the 300, but no where close to 350!

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
^ I got mine pretty early-on, online. I don't know if they're popular enough to have migrated to the big-box stores. You might need to check some specialized places, such as MMA schools/gyms/retailers.

The ones available through most big-box stores and sporting goods stores aren't really specialized enough (tough enough) for serious use - but then again, I haven't checked in a long time!

----

I'm good friends with all of the Louisiana team. They are filming season two currently.

i don't have those particular grips, but similar. Mine are labeled 100,150,200,250,300,350. I can almost do the 300, but no where close to 350!

^ YIKES!

OK, so that pretty much settles it - you're absolutely good-to-go on grip strength.

If you're having problems with the sights not settling back-in fast enough when you shoot, your problem is likely pretty much one of technique only (especially given the fact that you're shooting the 4.5-inch model, chambered in 9mm).

Are you actually having a problem running the gun fast, or are you just attempting to optimize/gain that last bit of advantage? ;) :)

Man, when you grip the gun, juice should start dripping out of it. :lol: That's some squeeze you've got!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm guessing hand and wrist strength can help a ton in efficiently shooting, but probably doesn't make as much difference with a 9mm vs 45acp?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I would definitely say it comes into play more with larger caliber but just about everybody is going to be faster with 9mm than 45.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I would definitely say it comes into play more with larger caliber but just about everybody is going to be faster with 9mm than 45.
I can shoot all calibers equally fast, I'm just cool like that, it's a gift I guess.

Oh wait, maybe you meant, and hit what is being aimed at. Well then you are correct sir!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts