Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the arguments for/against underfolders? Sidefolders?

Do they make any of these stocks in a length close to the NATO length stocks?

Is there an overfolder for an AK? Kinda like those assault shotguns?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I want a side folder. To the left preferably, seems like it would be easier chamber a round and it looks like the underfolder could interfer with mag changes.

I currently have a NATO length fixed. Rather than change this one out, I'll probably get another rifle. I sure wish I hadn't passed on a $475 WASR a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
What are the arguments for/against underfolders? Sidefolders?

Do they make any of these stocks in a length close to the NATO length stocks?

Is there an overfolder for an AK? Kinda like those assault shotguns?
Good things about a side/under folder on an AK. quick handling.... easy to get in/out of a vehicle with it. looks evil.

bad things. underfolders/wire folders have an unnatural/uncomfortable cheek wield your head feels like its laying at a 90* angle. some people shoot them very well im just not a huge fan of the underfolder/wire side folding stocks.

I think the stock that Arsenal puts on its new 107/106 series side folding rifles is nato length but i may be worng. Those are the very best folding stocks on the market IMHO due to it being like a regular stock but with side folding capabilities.

now unless you already have an underfolder or left side folding stock its not real easy/cheap to convert over to one. You can put an EG side folder on a fixed stock trunion but its a wire folder and folds to the right.

never seen an over folding AK stock.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I like AKS-74s. I love the left side folder. Right side folders are OK...but the only ones I like are the German/Egyptian 'crutch', the AMD. I don't like the angle of the Romanian/Polish folder. I like the ACE stock period, folder or not.

under folder look good, but get uncomfortable for me after a a little while. Wrapping them in para cord helps some.

The Polish tried to make a top folder, but the charging handle would have to be relocated, and the position of the stock and the shape of it to get good clearance for the sight line and get around the gas system made it more trouble that its benefit. Besides, an under folder is faster to deploy. If the gas system was below the barrel, the AK would have probably been an over folder, when you put on any type of folder, you want the pivot point to be as close to the center of bore axis as possible to reduce dynamic loads on the pivot/latching system. Look at most top folders, the barrel sits high.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just a preference thing I guess- as stated above, some shoot the underfolder well- I"m one of those guys. I love my underfolder over my full stock that I sold to my son. I like the way it feels and handles.But either way- you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Well, I own one of each: a Yugo U/F and an Arsenal SLR-106FR S/F.

Here is the basic stuff:

First, the underfolder is not a particularly comfortable stock to shoot with. There is no real cheek weld to speak of, they are difficult to shoot because of that, and depending on how you are shooting, the metal U/F stock can and will beat on your cheek pretty good sometimes. It was bad enough for me that I "rigged" a cheek pad onto mine with some thin foam padding and some heavy duty tape. Looks bad but functions MUCH better. The other drawback to the U/F is that because you can't get a good cheek weld and the ergonomic are a little "weird" I don't think the rifle shoots as accurately as it might be capable of with a full stock (sidefolder or otherwise). Now, that said, the U/F is much lighter than the Arsenal S/F setup and is MUCH thinner when in the folded position because you don't have a think buttstock sticking out from one side of the receiver. The U/F's are easy to maneuver even in tight spaces, are fairly light and nimble and are generally fun to shoot.

Now, the Arsenal S/F is just AWESOME. It is a full-size NATO buttstock that with the press of a button, folds and locks to the left side of the receiver. It is rock solid when locked in either position, allows for an excellent cheek weld and excellent picture of the iron sights and optics (YMMV depending on what base/optics you have mounted). The gun feels great in both folded and full configuration and like the U/F, it functions/fires from the folded position without hinderance of the trigger, safety, mag release, and mag. The drawbacks are that the stock is heavier and bulkier than the U/F. When folded, the weight of the stock against the receiver throws the balance of the rifle off a little, and it also adds at least 2" or so to the overall width of the rifle. It is a minor thing, but worth of consideration.

Here are pics of my Arsenal SLR-106FR in the folded and unfolded positions:

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
The drawbacks are that the stock is heavier and bulkier than the U/F. When folded, the weight of the stock against the receiver throws the balance of the rifle off a little, and it also adds at least 2" or so to the overall width of the rifle. It is a minor thing, but worth of consideration.
Thats why the 'skeleton' stock rules..lighter than the under folder...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Are there receivers those stocks won't fit on? Yugo, Romanian or Saiga?
they will fit on anything as long as they have the side folding rear stock trunion :).

I installed one on a Romanian G kit build.(my khyber pass clone) the receiver i built it on was already cut for the rear trunion and the front side folder latch. all i had to do was drill a hole in the front trunion.

if you have a fixed stock trunion you can put this folder on with no major modifications. screw's in just like a regular stock.

·
Premium Member
8,572 Posts
After fighting for years with my Yugo underolder, I decided to try an ACE sidefolder on my last Polish build. I love the ease of operation, comfort, and look. I love it, and it is easily my favorite AK.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
i have an underfolder... it was fun at first , but now i wish i had gotten a fixed stock.. wish there was some way to convert it to a fixed stock.
Money solves most problems.

All ya have to do is

knock out the rear rivets
pull all the underfolder hardware
weld up the holes
fit a fixed stock tang and drill mounting holes and rivet in place
install the standard butt stock of your choice

Don't despair: A portion of the cash needed for the above can be recouped by selling the underfolder stock and hardware (don't lose any parts).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts