Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range yesterday with 200 rounds of WWB 9mm. I had 4-5 FTE. The gun is fairly new XDm9 (1500 rounds).

Every time there was a FTE I knew right away because the recoil felt like a .22. Drop the mag and rack the slide and the casing is still sitting in the chamber. Each casing that FTE had about 1/4th of the casing covered in black soot. It appeared to be powder burn. This is my first fiream and would appreciate any help

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Went to the range yesterday with 200 rounds of WWB 9mm. I had 4-5 FTE. The gun is fairly new XDm9 (1500 rounds).

Every time there was a FTE I knew right away because the recoil felt like a .22. Drop the mag and rack the slide and the casing is still sitting in the chamber. Each casing that FTE had about 1/4th of the casing covered in black soot. It appeared to be powder burn. This is my first fiream and would appreciate any help

I used to shoot unreal amounts of WWB. I have seen all kinds of ammo failures with it. I stopped shooting it when I had 4 rounds out of about a mags worth from a G19 that had extremely heavy recoil and huge fireballs. I found the cases and the primers were flowing real bad and flattened.

http://media3.dropshots.com/photos/104896/20080713/b_102642.jpg

Speer Lawman is better and about $2.00 more per 100. WAAAAAY better ammo too.

I would shoot Tula before I shot WWB anymore. JMO..

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
I've got close to about 10K rounds of WWB through my various pistols now. Been shooting since November of last year.

My failure rate with WWB has been about 0.2 to 0.3%. Most typically, it's Failures-to-Fire.

This past weekend (about 700 rounds, in a low-light course), I had one double-feed (likely due to mud/dirt in the magazine or on the casings) and one round which, as I loaded, I noticed that it lacked a primer. No issues aside from these two.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I shoot pretty much all WWB as far as factory practice ammo and have never had a problem with it. I guess it just depends on the lot. I've never had a bad round when it comes to Winchester period.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Next week I'm going to take a box of Rem bulk 250 out and see if I have any FTE
It may be just a little dirtier than the WWB but my XDm loves them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It did surprise me because I have put about 500 rounds of WWB with no problem at all.

Would undercharging be the cause of this failure?

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Every time there was a FTE I knew right away because the recoil felt like a .22. Drop the mag and rack the slide and the casing is still sitting in the chamber. Each casing that FTE had about 1/4th of the casing covered in black soot. It appeared to be powder burn.
I've never had any problems with WWB, but this sounds like bad ammo to me.

IMPORTANT: Whenever you get an undercharged round like that, make VERY certain that the bullet has actually left the barrel. Search for the term "squib" and you'll see that it's an undercharged (or even uncharged) round that can leave the bullet actually stuck in the barrel. If you then fire another round behind it, the second bullet will hit the first and can damage your gun . . . or even damage YOU.

So after you get a squib, either disassemble the gun and look through the barrel, or lock it open, make VERY sure it's unloaded, and look down the barrel and make sure you can see daylight.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
^ +1. Squibs aren't cool.

I carry a simple solution - a "squib rod," which is just a fancy name for a #2 pencil. :lol: So far, I haven't had to use it, but I'm sure I will, sooner or later.

For me, since I tend to guy in-bulk but with a relatively large time-gap in-between (from retailers that really move volumes of WWB), I've wondered if indeed what I've seen in terms of my troubles were related to production lots. That's certainly a possibility, as I've noticed that when I do experience malfunctions at the range, it tends to come in cycles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never had any problems with WWB, but this sounds like bad ammo to me.

IMPORTANT: Whenever you get an undercharged round like that, make VERY certain that the bullet has actually left the barrel. Search for the term "squib" and you'll see that it's an undercharged (or even uncharged) round that can leave the bullet actually stuck in the barrel. If you then fire another round behind it, the second bullet will hit the first and can damage your gun . . . or even damage YOU.

So after you get a squib, either disassemble the gun and look through the barrel, or lock it open, make VERY sure it's unloaded, and look down the barrel and make sure you can see daylight.
I make 100% sure. When I lock the slide back, I can peek under the slide to the right of firing pin and see straight down the barrel. I'll take pics tonight to show how. I have 3 more boxes of WWB that I bought at the same time I will try in 2 weeks and report back. This week will be Rem bulk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went back to the range today with 200 rounds of WWB I bought at the same time as the first. First box of 100 not a single problem, 2nd box I had 5 FTE. Every FTE casing had burn marks on the outside.
Casing on right ejected fine, casing on left was a FTF.
Someone at work said the FTE casings are just a little too small and some of the explosion is coming backwards. Any help?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Someone at work said the FTE casings are just a little too small
All cases will be a little too small, so they can feed and chamber. When a round gets blackened like that it is because there is not enough chamber pressure to obturate the brass to the chamber walls and seal...

·
Registered
942 Posts
WWB was my ammo of choice in my XDM 9 a few months back. I ran about 800 rounds through it with at least 600 being WWB. i had 0 failures with it.
Here lately i have been seeing many posts on other boards with WWB fail to fire and underpowered loads.
Is Winchester QC going down the ******?
I had good experiences with Remington in 115 grain and PMC bronze 124 grain, and at my local store they were all the same price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If Wally world near me would restock their ammo I would pick up a handful of Rem bulk 250 box for $51 ;)

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
My friend just told me the other day he had 5 rounds of WWB fail to fire in his G19. WWB has gone down hill lately.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I have only used 100 WWB and they all ran good for me. these threads about WWB is about enough to scare me off them for a while.

last box was remington umc that I have also heard bad things about. i inspected them visually and they seem ok.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not a single problem with 250 rem bulk. Looks like no more WWB for me unless it's on sale.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts