Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I will confess my ignorance. I have not had much experience with opening corked wine. I usually buy the cheap stuff. However I purchased a bottle of cherry wine made in the Traverse city area, and I have a decent cork screw, but no matter what I tried I could not get the cork out of the bottle.
I am not the strongest buy on the block, but I am not a 98 pound weakling either, and I was sweating trying to pull the cork out.
Is there a secret to removing the cork from the bottle?
I finall go my hammer and a awl, and push the cork all the way in, but I don't like doing that because the cork can affect the taste of the wine.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
what kind of corkscrew are you using? you may want to try a different style.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You should have a corkscrew that u r not trying to simply pull out. Most of them you screw in the cork and little metal piece rests on top of bottle so you use the leverage to get it out

·
Premium Member
127,164 Posts
Break the neck over the edge of the counter, take a swig, and spit out the glass shards. Works every time! ;)

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Considering that this is in the XDm Discussion Room,
You only have one option ... Use a gun and shoot the bottle :p

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have this fancy one, where you stick it on the top of the bottle, push it down and pull it up and you're done, but I still always just use the old Jack Lalanne one. You know, screw it in with his head and lift the arms up. Jumping jacks!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i served wine when i used to wait tables. go get a wine key or server's key (they're called several things) like this one Amazon.com: Waiter's Wine Key Chrome Plated-boxed: Kitchen & Dining.

use the small blade to cut the wrapping around the top of the bottle, then insert the screw into the cork and place the metal hook on the lip of the bottle. simple leverage will get it out every time and leave the cork intact so you can recork the bottle if you're a lightweight ;)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
ANY other opener uses some sort of leverage against the lip to pry it out. Might cost you $4 though.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Im no expert, been married for 10 years and blaa blaa blaa. If you really want to look cool, you would have shot the top of the bottle off with your #1 pistol. Then due to that, you would have landed in the bedroom without a sip of wine! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Heh, I'd figure to wind up in the bedroom without... something else.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Break the neck over the edge of the counter, take a swig, and spit out the glass shards. Works every time! ;)
I thougt seriously about it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
You only have one option ... Use a gun and shoot the bottle :razz:
waste a perfectly good seven dollar bottle of wine. :D
You asked in the XDm room LOL

And wine is for girls ... You wussy :p

·
Registered
340 Posts
You only have one option ... Use a gun and shoot the bottle :p

When I saw this thread title in the XDm discussion room I was REALLY hoping that he had found a way to open bottles with his gun :cry: This just ruined my day. Thanks OP, I hate you

1 - 20 of 47 Posts