Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've been doing some research on these, and really like the Lyman one, esp. due to its capacity and the fact that it has a heater:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/c...asecleaner.php

The Lyman runs as cheaply as $109.95

However, being the cheapskate that I am, I was doing some poking around and found this one, made by Kendal:

http://www.amazon.com/Kendal-INDUSTR...8669964&sr=8-6

Amazon has it for $89.95 w/ free shipping.

For another comparison, here' Hornady's ultrasonic cleaner:

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...Sonic-Cleaner/

and one on Amazon by Bogue systems:

http://www.amazon.com/Bogue-Systems-...670219&sr=8-25

Now I know that Lyman, Hornady etc. make their own presses & dies. But I'm pretty positive that nobody makes their own scales - it looks like Ohaus is pretty much the only game in town when it comes to these. In fact, I've got an old Lyman 10-10 that is branded Lyman/Ohaus.

Obviously, the reloading / gun cleaning industry didn't invent ultrasonic cleaners, and there's no reason for Hornady, Lyman, etc. to reinvent the wheel for these things, so it's pretty likely that they're buying & rebranding someone else's product.

So, my question is, from a quality standpoint, has anyone heard of Kendal? How likeley is it that Lyman's having Kendal make their ultrasonic cleaners for them? If so, what am I gaining by buying a Lyman-branded cleaner vs. a Kendal?

I look forward to the discussion.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Harbor freight has it on sale - Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5 Liter

Also,
Just a thought,
I am curious about the long term effect of vibrating small parts against each other ... Unless you take the gun apart, it seems the small parts will wear against each other, due to the ultrasonic vibration.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AZXD - that looks like the same one, too, but for a better price.

I've read that you shouldn't let the parts touch, since they can wear. That's another reason why I think the 2.5l size is better - more space to spread the parts out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a couple of simple questions. Can you tell me briefly how you would use this? Disassemble to what degree, run time in the solution, how you dry the parts after cleaning, etc.
Are you thinking of getting this because of the volume of guns you clean, or because it may clean better than by hand.
Have never used one before so I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In what I've read, you field strip & soak. That's one of my concerns - getting all of the water out of the cracks & crevices & why I'm a little hesitant, although lots of people seem to swear by these things.

·
Registered
403 Posts
In what I've read, you field strip & soak. That's one of my concerns - getting all of the water out of the cracks & crevices & why I'm a little hesitant, although lots of people seem to swear by these things.
From what I've heard, after you take them out of the soak, you use compressed air to blow out any remaining fluid.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Carlos T seems to have the answer about the cleaning solution. Let me know if you get one of these and if you like the way it works. May be up for one myself.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
I'd fill it with Acetone & Kerosene (Hoppes #9 main ingredients) ... But I'd not use it all the time, and would save it for the really gunked up, used gun, that might need it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought this and I realize this thread is over six months old. The tank is stainless and the housing is ABS. I use this with Ed's Red. Do NOT use Acetone. It will eat plastic parts, like FO or TFO sights, and is not really necessary with the Ultrasonic action. Also, the lid is a combination of ABS with a Styrene set of windows. If you use Acetone, you are asking to lose your windows on the lid in no time, as it will soften it to goop. The advantage to Ed's over a water based solution is, it is self lubricating, and it does not require one to blow out the cleaned parts with compressed air. Just my two cents. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
BTW, I never submerge my slide on my XDM, but fill the tank to just below the top edge, as I do have TFO sights and don't want to press the issue with the mineral spirits or K1 in Ed's. I also place the receiver with the grip up in the air, so only the slide and trigger release are submerged. I also have room for the barrel and spring and none of them touch each other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Harbor freight has it on sale - Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5 Liter

Also,
Just a thought,
I am curious about the long term effect of vibrating small parts against each other ... Unless you take the gun apart, it seems the small parts will wear against each other, due to the ultrasonic vibration.
I realize this is an old post, but i thought I would chime in for future posters. There really isnt a concern for the parts vibrating and rubbing. The parts arent actually moving. The solution is agitated via high frequency sound waves. We use ultrasonic cleaners all of the time at work (high precision parts all day long, .018" +/- .001). Use can use Isopropyl alcohol. no need to worry about drying the parts off because the IPA evaporates with no residue. The companies I have worked for use Branson. I think they are more expensive and probably have features you dont need as a DIYer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts