Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XD40 Service model is at Springfield right now getting fixed and having Trijicon sights installed.

BUT, I was thinking, after seeing their Custom XD packages and options I wonder if I can get them to modify it further to enhance the things I am most interested in, namely, home defense and accuracy and maybe using it in tactical competition in the future.

They offer a match Bar Sto barrel for $250. Would this be a wise choice to improve accuracy...besides technique improvement and practice?

They also offer: "Refit factory barrel for match grade accuracy" for $90.

They also offer a 4-4.5lb "combat action job". This sounds good also.

Any comments or experiences with these mods?

I'm new to gun modifications so please have mercy if I'm way off base.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm new to this stuff too, but I've spent a lot of time reading over this board. I think the answers you will get will be along the lines of:
1) Leave the barrel alone, it is probably more accurate than you are and your money would be better spent on more ammo.
2) If you want trigger work done, then send it to Canyon Creek. I haven't read a single bad thing about their work and one of their trigger jobs is on my wishlist.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
to enhance the things I am most interested in, namely, home defense and accuracy and maybe using it in tactical competition in the future.
Try a case of ammunition, targets, and range time to shoot it up. All that other crap is incidental if you're a good enough shot, and running the gun is second nature to you.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
invssgt said:
to enhance the things I am most interested in, namely, home defense and accuracy and maybe using it in tactical competition in the future.
Try a case of ammunition, targets, and range time to shoot it up. All that other crap is incidental if you're a good enough shot, and running the gun is second nature to you.
I agree but have you ever shot one of Rich's trigger it is so much sweeter
No over-travel 1/4"pre-travel 1/4" reset and so smooth.
I use to say XD trigger are good and don't need improvement till I felt one first hand

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
R/T Performance said:
invssgt said:
I agree but have you ever shot one of Rich's trigger it is so much sweeter
No over-travel 1/4"pre-travel 1/4" reset and so smooth.
I use to say XD trigger are good and don't need improvement till I felt one first hand
Ive felt his triggers and they are remarkabe, BUT, I think that since he mentioned his need for home defense, the trigger would be fine in stock configuration. The barrel as stated is probably better than alot of people can shoot it too. If it was first and foremost for self defense, I woud say leave the trigger alone, at least until you are VERY profficient. Then after you have shot alot of matches (if you choose to do so) spend some money on the trigger.

Practicing to achieve will make you better than spending to achieve.

This is my opinion, spend your money where you choose.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
R/T Performance said:
I agree Shooting frequently enough to make all actions natural is key. 8)
I shoot at least 150 rounds per week :shock:
Good points all. I'm stocking up on ammo now.

But since my XD is at Springfield right now for repair, I really would like to take advantage of their Custom shop services while I have the opportunity. Or I will have to send it out again later.

I agree I need more time to become proficient and I do need low light sights ASAP.

Springfield will call me when the gun is repaired and sent to their Custom shop to ask what I want.

I am considering just having them do the "XD Carry Pro Package" for $215. It includes the Combat Action trigger job (4-4.5lb pull); reduced overtravel; new sights ; install extended mag release ; inspect entire pistol; test fire.

This looks like a good deal too.

My only concern is this, is the trigger job going to be too dangerous or stressful for me to become proficient on?

Tom

·
Registered
181 Posts
My XD has a Canyon Creek trigger job and now I can't imagine using a XD with out a carry or competition trigger job. Since your gun is already at Springfield I would recommend you have their custom shop do the work. I tried someone else's XD that had the Springfield custom shop trigger work and it was very nice but his was a carry job while mine is a Canyon Creek competition job which is nicer for my needs.

Forget the BarSto barrel unless you are a top competitor in long distance Bullseye shooting.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tango Sierra said:
My XD has a Canyon Creek trigger job and now I can't imagine using a XD with out a carry or competition trigger job. Since your gun is already at Springfield I would recommend you have their custom shop do the work. I tried someone else's XD that had the Springfield custom shop trigger work and it was very nice but his was a carry job while mine is a Canyon Creek competition job which is nicer for my needs.

Forget the BarSto barrel unless you are a top competitor in long distance Bullseye shooting.
Thanks for the tip Tango......Looks like I'm going to go for the XD Carry Pro package. It includes the 4-4.5 lb trigger job with reduced overtravel, Springfield Custom Fiber Optic sights and extended magazine release. They do an inspection and test firing with this package also...they better.

I am going to call them tomorrow to ask exactly what their "Springfield Custom" fiber optic sights are. Since this package is for 'carry' purposes I imagine their sights are designed like the TruGlo TFOs instead of the Dawsons. The Dawsons seem to be more target shooting oriented while the TFOs are more carry oriented.

Sprinfield's "Refit factory barrel for match grade accuracy" deal for $90 is very, very tempting. Since I intend my XD40 Service to have the versatility of Home Defense AND Target shooting, I may spring for this barrel job.

Tom

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got off the phone with Deb at Springfield Custom. She had e-mailed me pictures of Springfield's own fiber optic sights - they look great, and I would have had them put on with the package.

BUT, they will need 2-4 weeks to do the XD Carry Pro Package!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!dammit

Alas, I asked them to not do the custom work and just send the repaired beauty back home to me.

Looks like more business for Pistol-Gear/Canyon Creek is on the horizon. They sent me the two magazines I ordered pretty quick, just like you guys said they would.

I will let you guys know what they did to fix it. And I will be forced to shoot hundreds and hundreds of rounds to check it out, lucky I just joined the West Branch Rifle and Pistol Club located in Grafton, OH!

Tom

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
NewXD40fun said:
BUT, they will need 2-4 weeks to do the XD Carry Pro Package!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!dammit

Alas, I asked them to not do the custom work and just send the repaired beauty back home to me.

Looks like more business for Pistol-Gear/Canyon Creek is on the horizon. They sent me the two magazines I ordered pretty quick, just like you guys said they would.

Tom
When rich's total turn around with shipping is less than a week.You will be very happy whith his work :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts